Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

A cat in Australia is responsible for not only sealing the deal on the sale of her owners' home but upping the sale price, too. Tiffany the cat belonged to the Perceval family in Glen Iris, a suburb of Melbourne. During a recent home auction, Fran and Michael Perceval were happy to see a top bid of $2,060,000 Australian, which is the equivalent of nearly $1.8 million U.S. When broker Glen Coutinho began negotiations with the bidders, they made an unusual request: They offered to raise their bid by nearly $140,000 Australian ($100,000 U.S.) to $1.9 million U.S. only if they could keep Tiffany.

It turns out the buyers' child had taken a liking to 4-year-old Tiffany during tours of the five-bedroom home. Earlier, "we jokingly said that all the people coming through are loving her," Fran Perceval recalled. "I said to the agent, 'She goes with the house, ha-ha.' Not expecting at all to actually have a clause written into the contract saying that includes with cat." Coutinho said he thought he had seen it all in his career: "I've had plenty of people say they would throw in their partners, but not pets, no. It's the first time." The buyers' 19-year-old son, who had picked out Tiffany in a pet shop, isn't taking the news so well. But his mom said, "We're thinking we'll put $20,000 in a pile next to the cat and say to Sam, 'You choose'" (he's planning to travel overseas next year). This might be the first cat clause in real estate history.

Source

I understand how tough it can be to sell a house but come on, how do the new owners think the cat will take to them and their kid? What if the cat doesn't like them or the kid changes their mind?

Also kind of a crass joke on the mom's part of saying her son had to pick between the money or cat since they've already sold the cat to the new owners.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
a*****e parents. Is it even, technically, their cat to sell? Is the son the name on the certificate of ownership? Can he prove he's been the one providing for the cat? If so then that's theft and they have no right to sell the cat. evil

Kawaii Shoujo

xXFurygeistXx
a*****e parents. Is it even, technically, their cat to sell? Is the son the name on the certificate of ownership? Can he prove he's been the one providing for the cat? If so then that's theft and they have no right to sell the cat. evil
I agree... it's the son's cat not theirs and they don't have the right to sell it, if the children loved the cat than their parents should have taken them to a pet store or animal shelter for one.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I don't even... emotion_facepalm

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
*looks at cat. Then looks at mental pile of money. Picks up cat and walks off*

Yup, when I grabbed my cat I told him he was for keeps. My pets always come first for me.

Feral Nymph

Welp, they're spectacularly shitty people. I wonder how the conversation went?

Parents: Well, son, we know you loved your pet and all, but we sold him because we wanted money,
Kid: gonk

I suppose I can't go without my daily reminder that humans are scumbags.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Wonder how the little girl who loooooved the cat would feel if someone sat her down and told her that her parents illegally purchased that cat from people that didn't own her, and essentially her new kitty was stolen from it's beloved owner. Bet that would go over REALLY well. Absolute scum. To both sets of parents. The minute one set said "Well, the cat belongs to our 19 year old son..." you realize you can't buy the ******** cat. These people cannot SELL you this cat, because they don't ******** own the cat. You would literally be buying stolen goods. Shame on all of them.

Pxin's Fangirl

Beloved Vampire

31,900 Points
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Hero 100
Ratttking
I don't even... emotion_facepalm
Lol im a dog guy, so gimme that 100g's thank ya mrgreen lol cool

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Can dosh out over 2 million kangaroo dollars for a home

Some reason can't dosh out 700 kangaroo dollars for (what looks like ) a Ragdoll Cat and just tell the 4 year old it's the same one.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
This is far from the first Cat Clause.

Many Cats have inherited Houses or been written in as part of the House with Clauses that they can never be kicked out. Cat Houses also can be rented or leased (in a sense from the Cat). There are Rentals with Cats included that are becoming popular around the world.

I have a feeling the buyers are trying to help their teen move or get an education at a great school. Though it only mentioned travel. This usually is used as a step to helping young people locate their future school or country.

Edit: Unfortunately, there are errors in the article. It claims that the teenager is the buyers' child. This is an error, the teenager is the sellers' child. Furthermore, the teenager is the rightful owner of the Cat if you hear the story without errors. The sellers are stealing living property from their adult child. This sounds illegal to me.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
Wrenry

The Article has mistakes in it. It says " The buyers' 19-year-old son". Can you put a correction/citation in your original post? Explain the Article has an error and meant " The [sellers'] 19-year-old son". It makes a massive difference if one of the buyers' children do not like the cat versus the sellers' child is having their cat stolen away from them.

I had to watch the Video to find this mistake. The video does not specify "buyers'" or "sellers'". It is not your fault, this mistake appears in the article it's self that you perfectly quoted.
Solution: adopt look-alike from animal shelter and make the switch when no one is watching.

Bucktoothed Otaku

19,450 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Troll parents... sold the home for 2+ mil, got an extra 140k but only giving 20k to the son... rolleyes

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff