Welcome to Gaia! ::

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Quote:
Hillary Clinton, the former secretary of state who leads all 2016 presidential polls, ranks dead last on a new top 10 poll of who Americans admire most, and at the bottom of who the world admires most, behind celebs like Angelina Jolie and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

According to the new YouGov.com poll conducted for the Times of London, Microsoft's Bill Gates is the most admired person in the world, ahead of Pope Francis and President Obama, the runner-up on that list. Clinton ranks 27th on YouGov's world list.

On the U.S. list, she does even worse, coming in 10th of 10 listed and most named. Among Americans, Pope Francis is the most admired, followed by the president, evangelist Billy Graham and former President George W. Bush. Even Rush Limbaugh, the nation's most popular conservative talk radio host, beat Clinton. He came in ninth.

For the poll, YouGov went to 13 countries that hold more than half the world's population and asked people to name who they admire most. Only those living were allowed to be listed.

Obama and the pope dominated this lists in many countries. For example, in France, Obama was the top pick. In Germany it was the pope.

But Clinton, who plans to run on her record as a world diplomat, doesn't show up in the top 10 of the other highlighted lists in the YouGov poll online.

U.S. secrets tattletale Edward Snowden appears up on some lists, including Russia and Germany. link

And behind of all people Rush Limbaugh. What do you think of Clinton? Do you think the Benghazi scandal affected her position on the list? If you had a list, where would you place her?
Im sure people have a lot of reasons to not like this woman, for me I could really care less. But it's pretty funny the b***h got last anyways.
Considering the storm that surrounded Benghazi this isn't surprising. Also I'm not surprised Barry isn't down there with her (considering he apparently knows absolutely nothing about it [but that's his scapegoat for everything]). But to be beaten out by Limbaugh? My roflcpoter goes TROLOLOLO

Conservative Victory

I am certainly glad she came in last. I personally would have loved to see Obama down there with her since neither of them have done anything that deserves being admired for. But then again I disagreed with the other choices as well. I am not a fan of Pope Francis or Bill Clinton in the slightest, could care less about Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, and the Dali Lama, know little about Billy Graham (except that he is a famous evangelist), and while I personally respect George W. Bush and agree with Rush Limbaugh on many issues, I am not sure I would have listed them as most admired.
Because getting tenth out of seven billion is something to look down on.
--Sky Kid Tai--
Considering the storm that surrounded Benghazi this isn't surprising. Also I'm not surprised Barry isn't down there with her (considering he apparently knows absolutely nothing about it [but that's his scapegoat for everything]). But to be beaten out by Limbaugh? My roflcpoter goes TROLOLOLO

So what exactly is the issue with Benghazi that connects to Obama and Clinton.
Andy Partridge
--Sky Kid Tai--

Clinton, former Secretary of State who served under President Obama (who for the longest time had no idea what was happening, or as they said)

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Shama_okami

Exactly what I was thinking.
The description of the survey methodology says it was an open ended write in question with the only stipulation being the person had to be alive. You me and OP apparently didn't make the list. Nor did (insert any of many, many thousands of famous people).

It also says their sample size was 13,895 people, via phone text and internet, and that they don't feel they were able to get a representative sample in all countries they polled.
I don't consider 14k people out of 7+ billion to be the end all be all of what the world thinks of Hillary or anyone else on the list.

As to the "why did Rush score higher than Hillary?" question.. it may be as simple as Rush talked about it on his show and encouraged folks to go to the survey and vote (presumably for him).

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
David2074
Shama_okami

The description of the survey methodology says it was an open ended write in question with the only stipulation being the person had to be alive. You me and OP apparently didn't make the list. Nor did (insert any of many, many thousands of famous people).

It also says their sample size was 13,895 people, via phone text and internet, and that they don't feel they were able to get a representative sample in all countries they polled.
I don't consider 14k people out of 7+ billion to be the end all be all of what the world thinks of Hillary or anyone else on the list.

As to the "why did Rush score higher than Hillary?" question.. it may be as simple as Rush talked about it on his show and encouraged folks to go to the survey and vote (presumably for him).
14K isn't much and I too would of liked to see a larger sample. He probably didn't, but considering how large his listening audience probably is, I think it would of resulted in a larger sample number. This still beats all the talk about the Golden Globes imho.
--Sky Kid Tai--
Andy Partridge
--Sky Kid Tai--

Clinton, former Secretary of State who served under President Obama (who for the longest time had no idea what was happening, or as they said)

What didn't they know was happening and for how long?

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Darth Acheron
David2074
Shama_okami

14K isn't much and I too would of liked to see a larger sample. He probably didn't, but considering how large his listening audience probably is, I think it would of resulted in a larger sample number. This still beats all the talk about the Golden Globes imho.

I'm not familiar with what you mean about the golden globes talk. Unless you just mean the general hype that goes on before them (or the other stuff like the Oscars) are decided.

I don't like or listen to Rush. He's such an a*****e that even when I've heard him say something I agree with he usually managed to say it in a way that annoyed me.
But the few times I have heard him (like at a friend's house) there were typically one or more instances of some version of "a loyal listener brought this to my attention..." So I thought he might have mentioned it.

I also think the list was likely influenced both by how famous the name is and by the context in which it is heard. I was a bit surprised Bill Gates topped the list. After all, a lot of folks love to hate on Microsoft and some of what Bill did in the early days is questionable. But then if you think about it it kind of makes sense. His name is hugely recognizable. When you do hear his name mentioned in the news it is usually something positive like how the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation donated (a ton of money) to (some cause). If it is negative news about Microsoft or licensing crap with Xbox1 it's the brand name you are hearing, not Bill Gate's name. Likewise Rush's name is highly recognizable and more likely to pop into someone's head in a 'fill in the blank' type of question. Hillary Clinton is a recognizable name but right or wrong it has been associated with some negative stuff. She was Secretary of State while some bad stuff was going down and first lady while her husband the president liked to get his c**k sucked by interns.

I'm not a huge Hillary fan but I think the article you posted is putting a very biased spin on things. It could have been along the lines of "Congratulations to these few dozen people who are the most admired in the world" instead of a "Hillary is a skank for being low in the top 30 out of 7 billion people". It's like they were trying to write in some drama to make the survey results more interesting but it comes across as low journalism.

Omnipresent Warlord

In order to admire someone you need to be fairly familiar with them, what they did, and what they stand for. Hillary Clinton may be a household name, but a great deal of people aren't very familiar with the work she put in as First Lady, Senator and her role in the Obama administration. The survey should have asked people with how much they knew about each person and weeded out the people who didn't know much about them at all.
Omnileech
In order to admire someone you need to be fairly familiar with them, what they did, and what they stand for. Hillary Clinton may be a household name, but a great deal of people aren't very familiar with the work she put in as First Lady, Senator and her role in the Obama administration. The survey should have asked people with how much they knew about each person and weeded out the people who didn't know much about them at all.

That's kind of pointless because they in all likelihood don't know that they don't know about each person, kind of like the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Any "Whom do you admire" poll is also kind of useless in itself, unless it's a predictor in some form or another. Since Clinton's a politician, that kind of intentional biasing of the sample would also probably also degrade its already limited applicability.

Frankly I find these kinds of polls to be about as edifying as when Barbara Walters does her banal year-end specials on "fascinating people".

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Omnileech

I agree with most of what you said it's an opinion poll and there's no easy way to make them prove how much they know about their write in choice. You'd just get their opinion of how much they thought they knew.

But the poll doesn't mean much anyway IMO. A popularity poll can be helpful in a political campaign or voting for high school prom queen. Especially when it is a few thousand people 'voting' and they are proclaiming the most admired people in the world. It makes the poll just more of a joke or a curiosity than anything else,

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I dislike Rush Limbaugh and Hillary Clinton. And are people seriously flipping their s**t because she came in last?? Really?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff