Welcome to Gaia! ::

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Let's see, Kari is a girl right?
So it seems like if she is selling me something from the bake sale I should only pay her 77 cents. rofl
ChocolateXCheese
This is pretty clever. It's bringing up a widespread issue of discrimination and putting it in the spotlight by reversing that discrimination in a non-harmful way.

I don't know that it is. Here's the thing... I don't get the point to these sorts of events.

I mean... How to put this.....

Can we assume that most young people are social activistily inclined? Sure there is the old "They'll grow older and be more conservative because they are paying taxes" axiom, but that's financial conservative, not socially conservative. You aren't suddenly going to go "Yeah, get big brother government off my back. I've also realized what old Grandpa was talking about when he told me that masturbation is the devil's doorbell."

I mean, maybe if they are living in Bible-Belt-Topia and the guys are hearing this for the first time, I can see the point. But me? I grew up in the Liberal Stronghold of Canada, and I was always wondering when I saw things like this, "What are you trying to achieve?" You are preaching to the choir.

The young, liberal, social-justice minded men who see this will buy their cookies and go "You go girls!" Meanwhile, the cast of American Psycho will catch a glimpse of the article in Huff-Post at the news stand, go back to snorting cocaine in their penthouses and paying their female employees less.

I mean, what is raising awareness among your allies going to do? Make them agree with you even harder?

Divine Muse

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christina-hoff-sommers/wage-gap_b_2073804.html

Quote:
In the past, women's groups have ignored or explained away such findings.

Quote:
"the AAUW report compares the pay of male lawyers with that of female librarians; of male athletes with that of female communications assistants. That's not a comparison between people who do the same work."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff