Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mega Cutie-Pie

Quote:
Jerry, a man married for more than two decades and a father of two, spent years fighting his attraction to other men. He listened to tapes from "ex-gay" group Exodus International and joined an "ex-gay" fellowship in his hometown, hoping the efforts would eliminate his homosexual urges -- but they didn't.

Seven years ago, Jerry came out as a gay man. Though he was free from the struggle of fighting his homosexuality, Jerry's life was marred by tragedy just a few months later when his 26-year-old epileptic son, Billy, passed away from a seizure. "It was devastating for all of us," Jerry says in this video from Lisa Ling's special report on "God & Gays."

When Jerry returned to town for his son's funeral, he was confronted by someone from the "ex-gay" group regarding the cause of Billy's death. "One of the people from Exodus had said to me, 'It was your fault,'" Jerry tells Ling in the video. "He said, 'Well, the Lord took his hand of protection off of your family because you chose the homosexual lifestyle.'"

"Given that state of vulnerability that you were in, did part of you believe that?" Ling asks.

"I hate to admit it, but I think when you're raised with the message that you're wrong and that you're evil, some of that haunts you and stays with you, in a way," Jerry replies. "You almost feel like you deserve bad things because you couldn't fix it, because you couldn't overcome it, because you couldn't conquer it. It really goes in deep into the heart and really does damage."

In Ling's special report, Jerry and several "reparative therapy" survivors confront the leader of the "ex-gay" organization Exodus International, Alan Chambers, with more stories of their painful experiences in the "ex-gay" movement. Chambers will face his critics and then speak out with a new message of his own: an apology.

UPDATE: Exodus International has announced it will shut down after 37 years of ministry.

Twatbags = - =

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

Ugh how sick, his son just died you don't need to be an arrogant a** and blame it on him. Forget all the parents who harm and kill their kids, no, blame the poor guy because he's gay, yea I'm sure that god decided to punish him. rolleyes

Original Lunatic

6,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Brandisher 100
Pathetic. I don't understand why it is that mankind is so unable to accept on anothers differences...no on is "mae goby th parents, they didnt put their names on a list for it....why does it truely matter now when there is no need for a man to carr his last name? we do not need more people, we have enough.

Aged Lunatic

Fundies say stupid, offensive, and insulting things. Nothing new here, but yea, a little bit drifting to Westboro Baptist level by picking on someone who just lost their son.

Also good to hear these professional torture camp wardens are finally circling the drain professionally too.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
That was some WBC level s**t right there. Wonder what half these people would do if they started actually getting the beatdowns they've well earned by now.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I hate people who worship the Abrahamic god at this moment. (not exactly true)
In reality, I don't hate all these people, but for a temporary moment, a moment that will go away once I forget about this article, I do.
I will be more rational once this feeling goes away.

Mega Cutie-Pie

JamesWN
That was some WBC level s**t right there. Wonder what half these people would do if they started actually getting the beatdowns they've well earned by now.

'OMG, YOU GAIZ!! WEER BEIN' OPRESSED!!111!!! STAHP OPRESSIN' US!!!!"

Dangerous Citizen

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
Somehow when I read the title I knew this was what it was about...

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Congratulations, you've just earned the Dumb as Westboro Baptist Church award! It comes with a cash prize of -$1,000,000, so you can pay off the debt to society you've incurred simply by virtue of having been born, and lowering the average human intelligence by a whopping 30% per minute. We're all in the negatives now because of people like you. Good job!

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
GunsmithKitten
Fundies say stupid, offensive, and insulting things. Nothing new here, but yea, a little bit drifting to Westboro Baptist level by picking on someone who just lost their son.

Also good to hear these professional torture camp wardens are finally circling the drain professionally too.

5 more will pop up to take their place, if life has taught me one thing it is that the world has an inexhaustible supply of morons.

Aged Lunatic

washu_2004
GunsmithKitten

5 more will pop up to take their place, if life has taught me one thing it is that the world has an inexhaustible supply of morons.

Oh, I know they won't go out of business entirely, but as much spotlight as those places get in most civilized countries, it'll at least make life harder on the founders to even try to set up these little nightmare factories. Gotta take the victories where one can get them.

6,925 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
Jin Love
Ugh how sick, his son just died you don't need to be an arrogant a** and blame it on him. Forget all the parents who harm and kill their kids, no, blame the poor guy because he's gay, yea I'm sure that god decided to punish him. rolleyes

Jin, you know as well as I do that people are sick bastards and idiots. Of course they take something they don't understand and assume it was God's will. Look at what people thought of seizures for hundreds of years. The Romans thought that one of their gods had cursed them, and Christians thought you were possessed by demons. People make up their own stories to things that they don't understand.

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200
It wasn't his fault that his son passed away, it was unfortunately his time to go. My prayers are with this grieving family and my God bless them.

Tipsy Smoker

I dont really understand why this was news....

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
TotchiSnagglepuss5
Jin Love

Jin, you know as well as I do that people are sick bastards and idiots. Of course they take something they don't understand and assume it was God's will. Look at what people thought of seizures for hundreds of years. The Romans thought that one of their gods had cursed them, and Christians thought you were possessed by demons. People make up their own stories to things that they don't understand.

Saying that someone is being punished by God is not the same as "we don't know why this is happening, so we're going to say that this is the reason".
(Not agreeing with the dude, but it seems silly to think that these people have no idea what a seizure is.)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff