Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
It sounds like a dream: Work part-time while maintaining the same standard of living.

Google co-founder Larry Page thinks it should be a reality for everyone.

The tech titan and his co-founder, Sergey Brin, sat down for a rare joint interview that was moderated by fellow billionaire, Vinod Khosla, and posted to YouTube.

"If you really think about the things you need to make yourself happy -- housing, security, opportunity for your kids ... it's not that hard for us to provide those things," Page said. "The idea that everyone needs to work frantically to meet peoples' needs is not true."

Page said the world should be living in a "time of abundance" in which robots and machines could help meet everyone's basic needs much more easily.

He explained that people have a desire to feel needed, wanted and productive, often leading them to work in industries the world doesn't necessary need, thus contributing to the destruction of the environment.

"I was talking to Richard Branson about this," Page said of the founder of the Virgin Group. "They don't have enough jobs in the U.K. He's been trying to get people to hire two part-time people instead of one full-time, so at least the young people can have a half-time job rather than no job."

With a more productive society, Page said he believed people would be happy to "have more time with their family or to pursue their own interests."

Brin said he had to "quibble a little bit" with his colleague's vision for future employment.

"I don't think that in the near term, the need for labor is going away," Brin said. "It gets shifted from one place to another, but people always want more stuff or more entertainment or more creativity or more something."

At a later moment in the interview, a member of the audience asked if the two men had ever had a fundamental disagreement. They both said no.

"We've gotten to think a lot alike," Brin said.

Google
Frankly we should be doing this now, because the technological capability is there.

Unfortunately it does not seem to be compatible with a mode of production that is basically exploitative in nature.
azulmagia
Frankly we should be doing this now, because the technological capability is there.

Unfortunately it does not seem to be compatible with a mode of production that is basically exploitative in nature.

I do get a kick out of a panel of billionaires telling us how easy it is. That's like a pack of wolves telling sheep how to avoid being eaten.
It'd be nice if it could work that way, but in order to make a single half-time job manageable, the pay would have to double. That, and it'd be nice if tuition costs decreased.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
A utopian ideal because our species is too unevolved to achieve it.

Gracious Cat

11,650 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
I think that we would need to take on the problems of population and corporate mindset before such a world can exist.

We simply do not have the resources at the moment to provide everyone with a decent standard of living. Reducing the population does not need extreme measures like the Chinese solution. Reducing child mortality, access to birth control and condoms, enabling greater access to education, helping women gain equal rights and recognition, these kinds of goals have shown to reduce birth rates without outright banning or encouraging people to not have large numbers of children.

It has been the goal of companies from the start to gain as much wealth as possible. Businesses have tried to gain as much from its employees for as little as they can get away with. When a company does well the benefits go towards shareholders and upper tier employees whereas the rest of the employees can expect nothing. Reinvesting in the work force is often deemed unnecessary since a company can simply search and recruit people throughout the world rather then making a position more appealing by increasing benefits and pay.

Excitable Strawberry

Scarred Sword Heart

No, this is not utopian. The founders actually stripping things down to the essentials. What we've got in our society is a lot of industries and jobs that are revolving around things we *don't* need. Think of all the disposable crap people buy. This is mostly just being done so people stay employed and busy.

This is also not a population issue.
Really, Larry? Alright then; convince the corporate executives there at Google to work on that why don't you rather than telling others to do it, eh? Don't talk about it, be about it pal!

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
--Sky Kid Tai--
Really, Larry? Alright then; convince the corporate executives there at Google to work on that why don't you rather than telling others to do it, eh? Don't talk about it, be about it pal!
You know if they those big business executives (like these from Google) took a huge pay cut they could hire 100's if not thousands more to work under 32 hours a week.
PantheaMarlon
--Sky Kid Tai--
You know if they those big business executives (like these from Google) took a huge pay cut they could hire 100's if not thousands more to work under 32 hours a week.

Thats what I'm talking about. God forbid someone actually practice what they preach. But hey, its their company.

Loyal Exhibitionist

Oh, yeah, sure, I'll be glad to work part time IF my hourly wage doubles and I still receive full time benefits.

But we all know that's not going to happen.

GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE CLOUDS, BUDDY.

Greedy Consumer

Scarred Sword Heart
LOL we aren't pokemon
It only takes education, and a massive political campaign. Then baddaboom, problem solved.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Funny, that guy's claiming he's advocating for the greater good by telling people to hire two part-time employees instead of one full-time, but then those two employees need two jobs just to maintain their standard of living, and we're right back to where we started.

Doubling the number of jobs doesn't help if we then double the number of jobs a person needs to have to make ends meet.

16,290 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Quote:
Page said the world should be living in a "time of abundance" in which robots and machines could help meet everyone's basic needs much more easily.

I feel like he's trying to defend the use of more robots and machines in factories here. Everyone knows that their use is just going to result in more unemployment and poverty. Since when has the addition of a new robot in this modern age met our basic needs more easily? Also, I think he has lost touch with exactly how horrible part time wages are. If he really wants to make this idea a reality he should take the money out of his pocket and give all of his employees a raise.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff