Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Still say it was a waste of a good pair of lungs. She's just gonna have to scrap this pair when she gets older because they won't grow with her. Someone who probably wouldn't need another transplant a couple years down the road could have used those lungs and not wasted them. It was like putting a bandaid on severed artery. It'll help for a short time, but ultimately, the problem is still there and is going to have to be addressed properly. I feel for the kid, it's sad, but this doesn't cure her CF and if anything, just gave her another set of organs to ruin. They should make the parents apologize to whoever was next on the ADULT list who those lungs would have matched for wasting what was rightfully theirs. The doctors who make the rules know better than these parents and better than the politicians bought by a sweet face and sad story. If anything, they should have brought it before the person those lungs would have gone to and let them decide. Waste these lungs on a lost cause, or save your life? Take the risk they won't be rejected by a body too small for them, a body they cannot grow with, a body that requires they be hacked apart and be made less useful for, or take the better chance that they work for you? If that person had said, no, those are my lungs, don't waste them on a body they weren't made for, then I wouldn't have blamed them in the least.

Girl-Crazy Sex Symbol

Delle42
I'm glad she got the transplant. I'm morbidly curious about what complications might be in the future, having one body part be much older than the rest of your body. At least this buys them time to worry about the rest.

I was thinking the same thing. Is it possible for the older lung to just stop working at some point?

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Cherni
Delle42
I'm glad she got the transplant. I'm morbidly curious about what complications might be in the future, having one body part be much older than the rest of your body. At least this buys them time to worry about the rest.

I was thinking the same thing. Is it possible for the older lung to just stop working at some point?
It will not grow with her body, so even if it doesn't stop working, it will not be able to accommodate the work load for the body it has. Therefore, she will need a new lung transplant in a few years as she gets older and grows. Possibly multiple ones. And this set had to be cut down to fit her body, so they may not work as well to begin with. It was a real waste of a good set of lungs.

Conservative Victory

I am glad that she was finally able to get the lung she so desperately needed. I do hope she makes a safe and speedy recovery and is finally able to move on and enjoy her life. A child that young should not have to go through all of that.

That Under 12 Rule though is seriously ******** up. Yes I understand that an adult lung has more of a chance of failing within a child as opposed to an adult but at least allow that child to have a chance. A child should not have to wait until the least needing adult has a lung. It should be according to the needs of each individual regardless of their age. To tell a child that you cannot have the organ you need so you will probably die while the guy next door could go years without one but is going to get his soon is just cruel and inhumane. Completely immoral too. If anything I hope this story leads to some dramatic changes in the way organ donations and transplants are done in the future. I think stat wise it is about 64% of children waiting for transplants die without one while only 20% of adults do and that is not right.
Prince Ikari
I am glad that she was finally able to get the lung she so desperately needed. I do hope she makes a safe and speedy recovery and is finally able to move on and enjoy her life. A child that young should not have to go through all of that.

That Under 12 Rule though is seriously ******** up. Yes I understand that an adult lung has more of a chance of failing within a child as opposed to an adult but at least allow that child to have a chance. A child should not have to wait until the least needing adult has a lung. It should be according to the needs of each individual regardless of their age. To tell a child that you cannot have the organ you need so you will probably die while the guy next door could go years without one but is going to get his soon is just cruel and inhumane. Completely immoral too. If anything I hope this story leads to some dramatic changes in the way organ donations and transplants are done in the future. I think stat wise it is about 64% of children waiting for transplants die without one while only 20% of adults do and that is not right.

Why should another adult die in place of this child that may have had a way better chance of accepting those lungs and would probably only need one transplant to live a much longer time?

Conservative Victory

Chicken Zombie
Prince Ikari

Why should another adult die in place of this child that may have had a way better chance of accepting those lungs and would probably only need one transplant to live a much longer time?

Why should a child lose their life early on because of circumstances they had no control over? Sorry but many adults who need transplants need them because they smoke and drank and destroyed their organs. In which case I believe they should be barred from ever being allowed a transplant in the first place. Would you really go up to that little girl and tell her that you are going to let her die because the guy next door to her that smoked for 30 years and destroyed his lungs needs them? Besides, adults have lived long enough as is, whereas a child has barely even had a chance to enjoy life. Who cares what body the organ is more likely to have a better chance of working in. If you need the transplant you should get it because your condition is critical, not because you happen to be older than someone else. Those policies that were going to let that innocent little girl die are discriminatory and inhumane.
Prince Ikari
Chicken Zombie
Prince Ikari

Why should a child lose their life early on because of circumstances they had no control over? Sorry but many adults who need transplants need them because they smoke and drank and destroyed their organs. In which case I believe they should be barred from ever being allowed a transplant in the first place. Would you really go up to that little girl and tell her that you are going to let her die because the guy next door to her that smoked for 30 years and destroyed his lungs needs them? Besides, adults have lived long enough as is, whereas a child has barely even had a chance to enjoy life. Who cares what body the organ is more likely to have a better chance of working in. If you need the transplant you should get it because your condition is critical, not because you happen to be older than someone else. Those policies that were going to let that innocent little girl die are discriminatory and inhumane.

Your assumption is way off. Many of the adults on the organ list need them for medical issues that do not involve cigarettes, etc. In fact, I believe there is a rule that says you cannot have smoked cigarettes for x amount of time, etc before receiving the organ. It is about who will live the longest off the donation, who needs it the worst, who is a best match for it, etc. Yes, I would. I would tell that little girl that she needs to wait for a suitable donation, instead of wasting many donations in the future and losing this donation right now that will only work for a few years over sacrificing a few adults that need them and would live for many years to come. I am not going to sacrifice a few people over sentiments of a child.
While I'm happy she is doing better, their is reason why child under 12(?) can't get an adult lung. Adult lungs have a higher chance to failure rate in child, plus there is ALWAYS the chance of the body rejecting a new organ. The problem, is the their are not enough donors to begin with and add childern in account, makes the number to possible lives saved fall even more becuase the lack of organs available.

There are rules for organ receivers.

Quotable Prophet

Prince Ikari
Chicken Zombie
Prince Ikari

First off, that's a baseless assumption. There are guidelines in place that focus on the overall health of the person in question and the likelihood that they ever have or possibly will engage in unhealthy behaviors that would make such a transplant pointless. Your entire argument is based on a one-sided emotional appeal. You don't even know who would have gotten those lungs if the girl didn't. And (big shock here) most people don't like the idea of a life-giving organ going to someone who is simply going to damage it when they're already in such short supply and there are plenty of people who honestly need such organs through no fault of their own. Children are not the only "innocent victims" here. They're just the ones that get the most press.

Secondly, doctors and the ethics panel made up of those doctors, ethicists, patient advocates, and former recipients (AKA: people who actually know what they're doing) care who the organs will have a better chance of working for. They care because giving the organ to someone not suited for it usually leads to complications that usually include DEATH. Because while emotions would have us all wanting to automatically save the innocent little girl over the nasty old adult, it doesn't work that way in reality. In reality, there is a limited supply of organs for which there is a very big demand, and every person who gets one is at least a couple others who will die because they didn't. And, sad to say, some people simply have a better chance of accepting certain organs than others. In a case like this where ANY decision will lead to someone dying, the last thing these people want is for the precious organs that were donated to go to waste because they chose to give them to someone they were not suited for, complications arose, and the person died. So not only will the other people still die, but the one they die instead of will also die, making ALL the deaths (those of the donor and the other potential recipients) completely pointless. THIS is why they care. They care because it works and, as doctors, they want to save as many lives as they can based off of what will actually work. If the adult has the higher rate of success than a child in regards to a particular set of organs working and not...y'know...falling apart and potentially killing the person they're transferred to, then the doctors need to go with the person who has the higher chance of success or risk losing them both and wasting life needlessly. And no, they can't simply just take the organ back out and give it to someone else. Organs don't work that way.

The issue here is that for the sake of this little girl, an adult donor's lungs (TWO lungs, not just one) will both have to be heavily altered to fit inside of her. This can easily lead to complications in an already complicated situation. In addition, because these are adult lungs, they are fully grown organs being placed inside of a still growing little girl. These lungs will last her, at best, a couple of years before they either wear out due to the heavy alterations or they simply can't function for her anymore because, being ADULT lungs that were chopped up to fit her and all, they can't grow with her and she will reach a point fairly soon where they will not be able to keep up with her still growing body. So at best, the girl's family bought her a couple more years of life before she has to be put back on the transplant list, and only at the expense of one or even two others who could have been fully helped but clearly don't matter as much to you because they're adults who probably deserve it even though you know nothing about them.

And all of this is ignoring the very real fact that this girl is in the final stages of CF. The final stages where she is going to die no matter what they do, and even the precious new set of lungs isn't going to fix that and has, in no way whatsoever "saved" her life. If she doesn't die needing a new lung transplant a couple years down the road because the CF has affected her new lungs that weren't fit for her in the first place or said lungs wear out precisely because they were not fit for her, she's going to die anyway because the CF itself will run its course and ravage the rest of her body. She has, in all scenarios, a couple years left to live. A couple years left to live on a pair of brand new, heavily mutilated, temporarily-functioning lungs that could have gained someone else a few more decades with less complications.

Savage Tactician

22,040 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Olympian 200
She shouldn't have gotten it.

If the success rate of transplanting to an adult is higher, give it to an adult.

No point in giving it to the kid if the lungs get screwed up after puberty.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Delle42

She will outgrow that set of lungs in a couple of years and need a second set of adult lungs, since the lungs she got were cut down adult lungs.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Prince Ikari

The lung transplant failed so yet another recipant (or two depending on condition) is getting bumped, I have to ask how many lives need to be endangered for this denial of reality (keep in mind due to the under 12 rule it could still be a kid getting bumped or even someone who didn't smoke or do anything particularly harmful to their body).

Tipsy Gawker

Prince Ikari
Chicken Zombie
Prince Ikari

The reasons why someone would need a lung transplant include congenital diseases which affect the lungs such as Eisenmenger's syndrome, emphysema - which can be caused by exposure to air pollution just as much as it can be caused by smoking, cystic fibrosis, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, primary pulmonary hypertension, alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (which can also lead to emphysema and some other conditions), and sarcoidosis. Out of these, only emphysema can be caused by smoking and even then not necessarily. Also, as other people have pointed out there are evaluations and conditions a person must pass before they can be considered for a transplant.

Besides, not everyone on that list is an adult. That list is for people 12 years and older so it's possible this girl is living at the cost of another child only a little older than her. Would you like to be the person who tells the 12-year-old you'll happily let him die because he's 12 and priority to life goes to the girl who was born 2 years after him? Chances are he was also born with a chronic lung condition but managed to hang on to life until he was eligible for the list, at which point his condition was every bit as critical as the girl's. But nope, the girl gets priority because she's 2 years younger and her parents decided to go and stomp all over the lives of everyone on the list.

People care about who has the better chance of success when getting an organ because it's the difference between one person dying and two people dying. Those 'discriminatory and inhumane' rules are there because they want to save as many lives as possible. I know I'd much rather have my organs go to a person they're more likely to succeed with than have them wasted on a futile attempt to save a little kid who got them based on emotional appeal - frankly, if all small children become eligible for adult organs regardless of how compatible they are I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people withdraw from the registry.

Quotable Prophet

OtakuJeannie
Prince Ikari

The lung transplant failed so yet another recipant (or two depending on condition) is getting bumped, I have to ask how many lives need to be endangered for this denial of reality (keep in mind due to the under 12 rule it could still be a kid getting bumped or even someone who didn't smoke or do anything particularly harmful to their body).

Wow, the adult to child transplant that multiple doctors and ethics panels said wasn't a good idea failed. Shocker. rolleyes

So two sets of lungs were used for this girl, the first being "poor quality" and the second apparently infected with pneumonia. As a child, I wouldn't think her body would be able to handle that well. But hey, clearly the parents and lawmakers know better than doctors and people in the actual profession, so let's keep wasting precious organs to buy this one girl a couple more years to live.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff