Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Wench

Jeremy Kaji

I doubt he gives much of a s**t about his fans, so no matter his intelligence level, I doubt any of them would make it through.

Omnipresent Pyromaniac

12,300 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
Maybe I'm just one of those paranoid people who would insist on knowing who my daughter was going to go see and where they were meeting. According to the article, all the mother knew was that it was some FB friend. I'm not sure why she didn't ask for more information from her daughter.

Shy Explorer

7,100 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Hygienic 200
AloysiusWeasley
When are people going to realize that FB is dangerous and needs to be banned?

That's only when people don't know how to use it right. There are privacy features where you can have your profile set to only friends can access it, where you can prevent it from showing up on the search people option and you can set it so certain people cant post on your profile.

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
Old Ironsides
AloysiusWeasley
When are people going to realize that FB is dangerous and needs to be banned?

That's only when people don't know how to use it right. There are privacy features where you can have your profile set to only friends can access it, where you can prevent it from showing up on the search people option and you can set it so certain people cant post on your profile.

I think everyone missed the joke. :(

Friendly Dabbler

7,175 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I worked at the same home health care agency the guy arrested did and remember seeing him at staff meetings. The owner of the agency made a statement that his background check checked out which is a crock because he was arrested for something the month before he was hired and given some kind of probation. Which reminds me that a couple that were actually on shift were arrested for intent to sell and had been arrested for something similar before. Makes me wonder about the agency's background checks.

SFRN_Sylvia's Significant Otter

Shirtless Lunatic

13,250 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Pet Lover 100
Hasuki Aatisuto
There is a reason why you should NEVER meet strangers for anything through Facebook (or any social site) without knowing them a good long while beforehand.

Well I mean sometimes you have to.. I mean my boyfriend sells s**t on Craigslist all the time, and I've gotten boxes off Craigslist for moving. It depends how you handle it. I mean I told people where I was going, I had pepper spray, etc. If you don't meet in a public area, like a mall, you're kind of also risking it a lot.. (And believe me I know I risked it by going to their house to get the boxes.)

Facebook it's fine. It's the people on it. It's the parents, the ones that should've kept a better eye, should've asked, should've gone with to see she was safe, etc. You can't blame the site for things they TRY to stop. It is literally impossible to catch every single person every single time. The safeguard should've been her mother.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
I'll never understand the mindset of a person who feels the need to take the life of someone who's never done anything to wrong them. Poor girl. It was a stupid decision, yes, but the true blame will always be with the killer. I don't believe victims to be at fault for putting themselves in situations that make it easier for others to willfully commit crimes against them. I'm not saying I recommend it; just that, although she made a bad decision, the fault is still 100% with the killer. Does that make sense?

Just a sad situation. If only she'd known better. In an ideal world, you wouldn't have to worry about meeting people you met online. But it isn't an ideal world. It's a shame.
I'm curious as to why anybody over the age of 18 (legally an adult) would want to befriend a minor (16 or lower) on facebook with the intent of meeting said underaged person, it's kind of not needed yeah fair enough talk online within a certain context but other than that why would you?

Lonely Prophet

Her own fault, though.
Meet in a heavily public place,etc etc. Meeting people offline is a joy when you know how to be safe.
Why do older men always wants younger girls... It's like they don't think they will be dumped by a younger girl or something...roll eyes hope he rots in jail.

Liberal Fatcat

ChromePhoenix
I'm curious as to why anybody over the age of 18 (legally an adult) would want to befriend a minor (16 or lower) on facebook with the intent of meeting said underaged person, it's kind of not needed yeah fair enough talk online within a certain context but other than that why would you?

Sex in most cases. I dont know of many adults that would cultivate a particularly close relationship with someone underage and willingly meet them in person if he/she didnt have sex in mind. An adult with more sense would stick with having close relationships with those their own age.

But yeah, its a shame that she was killed. It seems half the internet is made up of crazy a** people with sick ******** perversions that they should be in jail for. Shame this has to be another lesson as to why you shouldnt meet strangers in person without someone knowing exactly what you're doing and not going alone.

Shameless Friend

MaxweII
Why do older men always wants younger girls... It's like they don't think they will be dumped by a younger girl or something...roll eyes hope he rots in jail.

from what i have read up on cases involving men who prefer younger girls (12-20 ) it's because they don't really have the balls to mess with a older and wiser woman who knows how the game goes, it;s easy to manipulate younger people. it starts off you treat them nice to gain their trust but than play some type of mind game where you overpower/control them. have u ever seen those cases where a young girl gets beat by her boyfriend and she always says "but i love him because he was so nice when i met him, he buy me clothes and ipods" it's kinda like that, it can happen to anyone but i personally think younger people are way more vulnerable

Gallant Reveler

I don't mean to be calloused and insensitive... but who didn't see this coming?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff