Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Entrepreneur

7,350 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Partygoer 500
Giant 'mystery eyeball discovered on South Florida beach
The discovery of an enormous eyeball on a South Florida beach begs a very pertinent question: What kind of creature did it belong to? The "mystery eyeball," as it's being referred to by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, was found Wednesday by a beachcomber on Pompano Beach.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Carli Segelson, spokeswoman for the agency, said the eyeball is slightly larger than a baseball and presumably belonged to some kind of marine animal.

"We're hoping to determine what kind, but at this point we just don't know," Segelson said. The eyeball is being preserved and will be delivered to the agency's research lab in St. Petersburg, where it's hoped an official identification can be made.

Meanwhile, people are making all sorts of guesses.

Perhaps the best comes from George Burgess of the Florida Museum of Natural History. Burgess has suggested that the eye may have belonged to a bigeye thresher shark. The species is found off Florida in moderately deep water, and the sharks are aptly named.

Other guesses have appeared on the FWC's Facebook page.

"I'm going for a whale eye ...," reads one comment.

"Giant squid?" reads another.

Then there was this more adventurous theory: "A giant squid ripped out a whale's eye."

Segelson said it might be several days before a precise identification is made.

Source

Kawaii Shoujo

Truth be told when I first saw the picture... I thought it was a giant rock or something similar.

Greedy Receiver

I would bet it belongs to a squid. They have already found and discovered many giant types of squids.
Giant Squid

Fashionable Hunter

Giant squid eye :O (probs)

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
Eisefin
I would bet it belongs to a squid. They have already found and discovered many giant types of squids.
Giant Squid

i agree but i wouldn't let it pass me if it was a prehistoric fish as well, apparently they're still around but rare to find

Familiar Fatcat

Kraken.

Definitely a kraken eye.

Or some kind of prehistoric fish.
Eisefin
Giant Squid

It does look like a squid eye doesn't it?

Sparkly Lunatic

It looks like a jaw breaker to me. emotion_facepalm

Shy Bachelorette

34,075 Points
  • Hand in the Cookie Jar 100
  • Snack Artist 250
  • Cookie Collector 400
With the help of kyoji
Eisefin
Giant Squid

i agree but i wouldn't let it pass me if it was a prehistoric fish as well, apparently they're still around but rare to find

I agree also, but still we only know a small portion of the seas, who knows what it may belong to... a leviathen maybe? cat_twisted XD I wish at least it were a leviathen or some big thing from old stories. looks a lot like a giant squid eye to me, but who knows~

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
You're all wrong.
It's obviously an alien eyeball. He was not that concerned about losing one because he has several and the ability to regenerate them. What they didn't find was the lady who was walking on the beach looking for agates. The alien ate her to generate the extra energy needed for regenerating the eyeball. There are probably signs. The sonic inducers from the alien ship's engines would pulverize rocks into tiny sand. Have someone look around near where the eyeball was found for sand. This will verify my theory.

But yeah - weird item to turn up on a beach.

Friendly Wench

I'm guessing squid. But sheesh, that thing is huge! eek

Lavish Wench

12,450 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
Wow!

It's weird that just the eye washed up. I wouldn't think eyes would be very sturdy. Where's the rest?

Gracious Lightbringer

I read about this on a news blog yesterday. I think it's really interesting. I would like to find out what it came from.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff