55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Ratttking
Nyadriel
Old Blue Collar Joe
Nyadriel
I don't get along with alcoholics. Bad experiences with the ones I have had in my life and both my grandfathers (One of whom I knew personally the other I don't remember from my toddler years) were alcoholics and ____s, so I have an excuse.

Even so, no excuse for Gene Simmons to say stuff like that. Who knows who could have seen/heard that.
I could say something more...

I can't condemn him for it. He made one hell of a point. His mother survived the Holocaust, and lives life in joy. We have teenagers killing themselves because they didn't get the iPhone 5S for their birthday. Woe is them.
Too many think threatening suicide all the time is the solution.

UHG! I had heard! Not just an iPhone either. There was a case I heard about concerning some video game device (forgot what it was). It's ridiculous!

Annnnd, just how old IS this guy?
By the way, I was never into hard rock or Metal or punk or any of that noise. Found out the hard way that it gives me migraines. Hubby is a fan, though.
He's 64. Kiss formed in the early 70s, and didn't have much success until they started wearing the extreme make-up and costumes in response to the New York Dolls who started the trend.

Started in the 70's huh. Never heard of them until hubby became a fan in the 80's around the time they started wearing the costume and stuff. And this is the first time I have heard of the New York Dolls. Keep in mind, I lived here in Connecticut most of my life. Was away for ten years then came back around my 15th birthday and in time for my first day in High School. I never followed those trends. (class A dork all my life)
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Nyadriel
I don't get along with alcoholics. Bad experiences with the ones I have had in my life and both my grandfathers (One of whom I knew personally the other I don't remember from my toddler years) were alcoholics and ____s, so I have an excuse.

Even so, no excuse for Gene Simmons to say stuff like that. Who knows who could have seen/heard that.

I can't condemn him for it. He made one hell of a point. His mother survived the Holocaust, and lives life in joy. We have teenagers killing themselves because they didn't get the iPhone 5S for their birthday. Woe is them.

emotion_facepalm

Do you think these people willingly choose to be depressed. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, Joe. It doesn't matter how little or how much you have. It doesn't matter what good or bad things you have experienced. Depression has nothing to do with the environment one is in. His mother doesn't suffer from depression? Good! I mean that too. The Holocaust was a terrible, terrible thing, and even more terrible for the people who've lived through it, but that has nothing to do with depression, and she's pretty damn lucky she doesn't suffer from PTSD. You can have everything in your life you've ever wanted, but the truth is, that chemical imbalance in the brain has nothing to do with it. People can't just will themselves out of depression. A lot of them need help. They need treatment, and for Gene to say to them just kill themselves is way out of line. He, nor you apparently, know enough about it to tell other people to do such a thing.

Read the rest of my posts before making ignorant a** assumptions. I am well aware of depression and what it can cause one to do. His point, and mine, is the drama llama's who claim to be suicidal who only want attention.
NOT those who actually do have issues of depression.

Please list the names of the kids who killed themselves over an iphone.

Ever heard of an example? I'm not wasting time digging up info. But here is a good starting point for you.

http://kotaku.com/5924355/young-woman-attempts-suicide-after-receiving-fake-iphone

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/selfie-addict-200-pics-day-attempted-suicide-article-1.1731144

You can waste all day finding the stupid ******** reasons teens and young adults attempt to commit suicide, because a good many are just too ******** coddled to be able to handle anything that doesn't immediately give them gratification.

Ever take into consideration that people who kill themselves for such reasons aren't completely mentally stable. Maybe they're not depressed, but they're certainly not all there and need help...but you know, it's perfectly okay for people to just tell other people to kill themselves. I don't like the way a lot of people are. I don't like that people do such things for attention, but you know what? I won't tell them to kill themselves, because they obviously don't function as well as I do. I'd rather be thankful for what I have and tell others to get help.

Tipsy Smoker

Robotic lalanono
Chahklet
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono

emotion_facepalm

Do you think these people willingly choose to be depressed. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, Joe. It doesn't matter how little or how much you have. It doesn't matter what good or bad things you have experienced. Depression has nothing to do with the environment one is in. His mother doesn't suffer from depression? Good! I mean that too. The Holocaust was a terrible, terrible thing, and even more terrible for the people who've lived through it, but that has nothing to do with depression, and she's pretty damn lucky she doesn't suffer from PTSD. You can have everything in your life you've ever wanted, but the truth is, that chemical imbalance in the brain has nothing to do with it. People can't just will themselves out of depression. A lot of them need help. They need treatment, and for Gene to say to them just kill themselves is way out of line. He, nor you apparently, know enough about it to tell other people to do such a thing.

Read the rest of my posts before making ignorant a** assumptions. I am well aware of depression and what it can cause one to do. His point, and mine, is the drama llama's who claim to be suicidal who only want attention.

I doubt anyone here is a trained psychiatrist who can even tell the difference between 'whining' and legitimate emotional/mental issues. I think all threats of self harm or suicide should be taken seriously.

Same, and even if there was a kid who killed himself over an iphone, it obviously means he wasn't all together. It might not be depression, but no mentally stable person does that. No one should be told to just "kill themselves" and anyone who thinks it's okay to do so isn't a very decent person.
Definitely. I doubt most people realize how ridiculously hard it is to just kill yourself. It takes a lot of willpower.
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono

emotion_facepalm

Ever heard of an example? I'm not wasting time digging up info. But here is a good starting point for you.

http://kotaku.com/5924355/young-woman-attempts-suicide-after-receiving-fake-iphone

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/selfie-addict-200-pics-day-attempted-suicide-article-1.1731144

You can waste all day finding the stupid ******** reasons teens and young adults attempt to commit suicide, because a good many are just too ******** coddled to be able to handle anything that doesn't immediately give them gratification.

Ever take into consideration that people who kill themselves for such reasons aren't completely mentally stable. Maybe they're not depressed, but they're certainly not all there and need help...but you know, it's perfectly okay for people to just tell other people to kill themselves.

They aren't all there because they've been predominately coddled their entire ******** life.
That is the point. "Oh! You showed up to school? Here's a trophy!!'
"You peed in the potty like a big boy? Here's a trophy.
"You came in last in the race? Really you just came in first for the next race! Here's a trophy!'
Errr...life doesn't work that way, and doing this to kids turns them into spineless little ******** that think they should be rewarded for breathing and having a pulse. That is stupid.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Chahklet
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Nyadriel

emotion_facepalm

I doubt anyone here is a trained psychiatrist who can even tell the difference between 'whining' and legitimate emotional/mental issues. I think all threats of self harm or suicide should be taken seriously.

Actually, I can. I have two sisters and the younger of them... let's just say trouble-maker and long long story and I will leave it at that. I also have a cousin who...

It's not that hard to tell the difference as you might think.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono

emotion_facepalm

Ever take into consideration that people who kill themselves for such reasons aren't completely mentally stable. Maybe they're not depressed, but they're certainly not all there and need help...but you know, it's perfectly okay for people to just tell other people to kill themselves.

They aren't all there because they've been predominately coddled their entire ******** life.
"You came in last in the race? Really you just came in first for the next race! Here's a trophy!'
Errr...life doesn't work that way, and doing this to kids turns them into spineless little ******** that think they should be rewarded for breathing and having a pulse. That is stupid.

Then you should be expressing anger towards the way these kids were raised rather than the kids themselves. It's not their fault they were 'coddled' for most of their lives. Tell the kids to get help rather than agree they should off themselves, and yell at the parental/adult figures that coddled them.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Nyadriel
Ratttking
Nyadriel
Old Blue Collar Joe
Nyadriel

UHG! I had heard! Not just an iPhone either. There was a case I heard about concerning some video game device (forgot what it was). It's ridiculous!

Annnnd, just how old IS this guy?
By the way, I was never into hard rock or Metal or punk or any of that noise. Found out the hard way that it gives me migraines. Hubby is a fan, though.
He's 64. Kiss formed in the early 70s, and didn't have much success until they started wearing the extreme make-up and costumes in response to the New York Dolls who started the trend.

Started in the 70's huh. Never heard of them until hubby became a fan in the 80's around the time they started wearing the costume and stuff. And this is the first time I have heard of the New York Dolls. Keep in mind, I lived here in Connecticut most of my life. Was away for ten years then came back around my 15th birthday and in time for my first day in High School. I never followed those trends. (class A dork all my life)
They were very popular in the mid-70s. I became a fan in third grade, Kiss Alive 2 was the first album I ever bought. The Dolls were extremely influential but only released 2 albums in their original incarnation (they reformed a few years back with the 2 surviving original members and other people) and never gained a huge following. Here's a nice quiet song from them, maybe you'll like it. Oh, and you can see by the album cover how they inspired Kiss' costumes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2c39iMiYcQ

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono

Then you should be expressing anger towards the way these kids were raised rather than the kids themselves. It's not their fault they were 'coddled' for most of their lives. Tell the kids to get help rather than agree they should off themselves, and yell at the parental/adult figures that coddled them.

So even in death, nothing is their own fault? When is it? When they decide they'll kill someone else instead of themselves?
...by the way...one of my former coworkers had a daughter with bipolar disorder. She threatened to kill herself many times, but you know what? It would not have been okay to just tell her to go ahead and do it. The way she acted wasn't her fault and had nothing to do with coddling.
Alexander J Luthor
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono

So even in death, nothing is their own fault? When is it? When they decide they'll kill someone else instead of themselves?

I don't excuse their actions, I instead, would rather strongly suggest they get help.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Nyadriel
Actually, I can. I have two sisters and the younger of them... let's just say trouble-maker and long long story and I will leave it at that. I also have a cousin who...

It's not that hard to tell the difference as you might think.

My sister's fiance was like Robin Williams, always happy and fun, keeping everything to himself until they found him one day.

She, on the other hand, was a cracker barrel and I was glad when we had her locked up for her safety and that of everyone around her.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Robotic lalanono
Chahklet
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono

emotion_facepalm

Same, and even if there was a kid who killed himself over an iphone, it obviously means he wasn't all together. It might not be depression, but no mentally stable person does that. No one should be told to just "kill themselves" and anyone who thinks it's okay to do so isn't a very decent person.

I had kept my mouth shut til now, but comments like these keep reminding me of that girl who recently killed herself after she had been bullied and told to kill herself... and she did. There was another girl before her not long ago either and I think...
I don't know how many of those particular girls had a problem and which of them had been bullied so badly that she just could not take it anymore... I had been on both sides of the issue and one (the one that is due to imbalances and conditions) is painful.
The other (bully issues), not so much. But it does make you feel really bad about yourself and if gone on for a long time, can make you a wreck.

Kids who kill themselves over a cell phone, iPhone/iPad or video game console... these are generally issues of a kid who has pretty much gotten whatever they wanted through whatever means possible. It used to be that there was a joke about "holding one's breath until their faces turned blue in order to get parents to give them what they wanted". I am not kidding.
Nyadriel
Robotic lalanono
Chahklet
Robotic lalanono
Old Blue Collar Joe
Robotic lalanono

emotion_facepalm

I had kept my mouth shut til now, but comments like these keep reminding me of that girl who recently killed herself after she had been bullied and told to kill herself... and she did. There was another girl before her not long ago either and I think...
I don't know how many of those particular girls had a problem and which of them had been bullied so badly that she just could not take it anymore... I had been on both sides of the issue and one (the one that is due to imbalances and conditions) is painful.
The other (bully issues), not so much. But it does make you feel really bad about yourself and if gone on for a long time, can make you a wreck.

Kids who kill themselves over a cell phone, iPhone/iPad or video game console... these are generally issues of a kid who has pretty much gotten whatever they wanted through whatever means possible. It used to be that there was a joke about "holding one's breath until their faces turned blue in order to get parents to give them what they wanted". I am not kidding.

I have experience working with children both elementary and high school aged. I also have experience working with kids with both mental disabilities and kids who function 'normally.' Some have been sweet, others have been bratty. The ones who are bratty are the ones you described who get everything they want. When something doesn't go their way, they might throw a tantrum, but they get over it...and trust me...these kids are very used to getting what they want. I once confiscated a 3DS in class, and the kid shrugged and said, "My mom will just buy me a new one," and he wasn't lying. She did.
The only kids I worry about are those who don't function well in society. It's not as easy for them to get over things like having something taken away from them. They are the kids who will make a scene, and I've even seen kids hurt themselves when things didn't go their way. I once worked with a little girl with severe autism who bit her arm hard enough to break her skin because she didn't want to be in school, because she had just finished a weekend of being spoiled by her father who let her do pretty much anything she wanted. I also worked with a kid who had aspergers who went into behavior because he couldn't have his Pokemon (or maybe it was Yuh-Gi-Oh!) cards on the desk near him during standardized testing.
There have also been kids who were considered 'normal' but worried me because they seemed to have a bad case of narcissism. I worried about them too, because they seemed to be the ones who would do something like kill themselves for spite, but their parents were pretty darn oblivious to it and didn't want to hear it when their teachers expressed concern for it.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Ratttking
They were very popular in the mid-70s. I became a fan in third grade, Kiss Alive 2 was the first album I ever bought. The Dolls were extremely influential but only released 2 albums in their original incarnation (they reformed a few years back with the 2 surviving original members and other people) and never gained a huge following. Here's a nice quiet song from them, maybe you'll like it. Oh, and you can see by the album cover how they inspired Kiss' costumes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2c39iMiYcQ

Hmmm
Nice song! Thank you!

Looks like these guys could have influenced others in differing ways. Gawd! One of them looked like a young Mick Jagger in a couple of those pics! Looks like Mick Jagger either was influenced by these guys or they had been influenced him. Also looks like they got some inspiration from some British Pop and Rock groups of the times too. Quite classy. Maybe I would have liked them. I do love British Rock, by the way.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Robotic lalanono
Nyadriel
Robotic lalanono
Chahklet
Robotic lalanono

I have experience working with children both elementary and high school aged. I also have experience working with kids with both mental disabilities and kids who function 'normally.' Some have been sweet, others have been bratty. The ones who are bratty are the ones you described who get everything they want. When something doesn't go their way, they might throw a tantrum, but they get over it...and trust me...these kids are very used to getting what they want. I once confiscated a 3DS in class, and the kid shrugged and said, "My mom will just buy me a new one," and he wasn't lying. She did.
The only kids I worry about are those who don't function well in society. It's not as easy for them to get over things like having something taken away from them. They are the kids who will make a scene, and I've even seen kids hurt themselves when things didn't go their way. I once worked with a little girl with severe autism who bit her arm hard enough to break her skin because she didn't want to be in school, because she had just finished a weekend of being spoiled by her father who let her do pretty much anything she wanted. I also worked with a kid who had aspergers who went into behavior because he couldn't have his Pokemon (or maybe it was Yuh-Gi-Oh!) cards on the desk near him during standardized testing.
There have also been kids who were considered 'normal' but worried me because they seemed to have a bad case of narcissism. I worried about them too, because they seemed to be the ones who would do something like kill themselves for spite, but their parents were pretty darn oblivious to it and didn't want to hear it when their teachers expressed concern for it.

Sounds like you deal with a lot of differing examples. I have heard of teachers who do the same in dealing with various types of kids too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff