Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Friend

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Technically, the company is allowed to do that. Businesses can refuse service to anyone for any reason.

However, it's still really rude on the company's part. It's discriminatory, but legal, so the gay rights group probably doesn't have a case.

Thieving Prophet

14,225 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
Oh America *sigh* I don't commend either side. I'm sure they must have known that the company was Christian run, and there are other companies with good rates besides what ever one they were using. The company does have the right to refuse service to anyone but from the way they did it, it was extremely rude....and if you think that the bible says you're going to be punished for the sins of others that's the old testament, which doesn't include the death of Jesus and the resurrection. You are punished for your own sins, not someone else's. sweatdrop I try not to get into arguments about religion but I can't stand it when people are ignorant stare

Romantic Cat

13,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I have a sneaky suspicion that they choose a Christian company on purpose so they could make a stink about it. Maybe not but it just seems many like to draw attention to themselves.

Places have the right to refuse service. Such as law firms don't HAVE to take cases. Artists can say they won't draw certain things . etc...

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
They have the right to decline service to anyone they want.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
icrazy3477
Oh America *sigh* I don't commend either side. I'm sure they must have known that the company was Christian run, and there are other companies with good rates besides what ever one they were using. The company does have the right to refuse service to anyone but from the way they did it, it was extremely rude....and if you think that the bible says you're going to be punished for the sins of others that's the old testament, which doesn't include the death of Jesus and the resurrection. You are punished for your own sins, not someone else's. sweatdrop I try not to get into arguments about religion but I can't stand it when people are ignorant stare

How were they rude? They contacted the GLSO almost at once and said, "Sorry, we cannot do this order." They offered to find another shirt company to do the shirts or had found another company, which went above and beyond their duties after refusing to do a job. They didn't want to do that order because they did not want their store associated with promotional material for something that was against their moral code. As pointed out, the shirt company was willing to help find another company to make the shirts - at the price they were offering so the GLSO would not have to pay anything extra - so that the GLSO could have their shirts. They did what they could without making the actual shirts.

So, who's more rude? The company that says, "Sorry, we can't do this but we'll help you find someone who can" or the people who throw a fit and harass the company with protests, online support groups, and an attempt to buy out the morgage to evict the company all because they won't comply with an order?

Manly Lunatic

If America is a free country, then the company can choose to offer services who ever they please.

And if it was a Muslim community refused service, do you think Americans would give a s**t? Probably not...

I think the homosexual community just want a pick a fight over NOTHING. I mean seriously, if you want people to respect your rights to be LGBT, respect their christian beliefs and their RIGHT to refuse service to anyone that conflicts their own personal convictions, as is in the American Constitution.

Respect works both ways people... freaking idiots. The Christians are in the right.
It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong, it is their opinion.
They sincerely believe homosexuality is wrong - and from their point of view they don't mean to hurt anybody.
What is with everyone being emotional pansies anymore.

Devoted Genius

8,775 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
I actually don't like the whole "right to refuse service to anyone" thing. To me it's a form of legal discrimmination. Sure, the artist has the right to not make the art, but it's not like their advocating the subject they're making.

Tipsy Lunatic

This is a sort of sticky situation.
I believe that private owned businesses are generally allowed to refuse service to anyone they want.
But just for the sake of discrimination just isn't a viable reason to do so.
If the gay rights group just put in for the shirts and weren't belligerent or anything then there really isn't any reason to refuse.
That being said it'd be so much easier to mass boycott the business and just find a different print shop to do your work. More effective too. The lawsuit is more a matter of.... umm... pride.
I want to first put out there that I am bisexual and attend the local LGBT group on weekends, so I don't want anyone to think I'm not a gay rights supporter.

However, while the Christian company refused service for a very obvious discriminatory reason, they do have right to refuse service. From 1 standpoint, servicing them could ruin their business. If other people see that they served an LGBT group, they may not want to buy from them, and other people may have already turned them down BECAUSE they're a christian company. Let's be realistic, they aren't the ONLY people that turned down service because someone just so happens to be something they don't like, because we all have heard the phrase "we don't serve your kind here" whether said to us or said in a movie.

And if they don't want to serve that group, then the group can give their support and love to another company, someone who DESERVES their business.

Blessed Sex Symbol

I saw this coming, in my opinion the biggest reason why gays are so discriminated against is because of religion. I see it just...despicable, ridiculous. What's so wrong about being gay? I mean come on, I'm straight but I see being homo completely fine, there's nothing wrong with it, it does no harm or damage, and hey we're all supposed to be equal here, what happened to that? From what I've seen, the biggest threat to gay rights are Christians too e_e

Blessed Sex Symbol

Jaden Kazega
iMuSic_Nvr_sLeEpS
I saw this coming, in my opinion the biggest reason why gays are so discriminated against is because of religion. I see it just...despicable, ridiculous. What's so wrong about being gay? I mean come on, I'm straight but I see being homo completely fine, there's nothing wrong with it, it does no harm or damage, and hey we're all supposed to be equal here, what happened to that? From what I've seen, the biggest threat to gay rights are Christians too e_e

I'd have to disagree a little, given what happens to anyone who is a homosexual just across the pond, south and southeast of Europe. I'm not denying things are bad here, but at least gay people could still be open about it here without fear of getting stoned or executed. =/

Hmm good point, I guess. When religion comes up, especially Christianity, I get really fired up against them because of some personal issues that came up last year sweatdrop But I'm still a strong supporter of gays, so I see a lot of things from their point of view.

Wolfenspyre's Waifu

Demonic Vampire

User Image

I personally, do not see the problem with this.
If an artist was requested to commission something, and they felt uncomfortable with it - they have all right to decline to do so.
There could be many reasons the company did not feel right with doing so.
It could have been other Customers, as they are a Christian based company.
Or, they simply did not feel comfortable doing such an order.

I would also like to point out, the fact they said they would HELP to find someone else who would do this, also tells me they did not deny them with negative meaning.
It seemed they tried to let them down in the nicest way possible.
It seems like a very big overreaction.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces