Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Offended by the decision of Starbucks chief Howard Schultz to support gay marriage, a Christian organization is seconding the CEO's demand that Christian shareholders sell their stock in the ubiquitous coffee chain.

"Christians and pro-family groups across the United States have contributed significantly to the economic success of Starbucks," said American Family Association President Tim Wildmon in a statement. "However, we can certainly honor Mr. Shultz's request to take our business elsewhere."

At Starbucks' annual meeting last week, shareholder Thomas Strobhar, who runs an organization that opposes gay marriage, criticized the company for supporting same-sex marriage, claiming that taking a public stance on the issue was hurting its bottom line. This came after Starbucks last year backed a bill to legalize the practice in Washington state, which led to the National Organization for Marriage boycotting the coffee chain.

Mr. Schultz then invited those who disagree with the store's support for gay marriage to sell their shares and leave the company.

"If you feel, respectfully, that you can get a higher return than the 38 percent you got last year, it's a free country," Mr. Schultz said at the shareholder meeting. "You can sell your shares of Starbucks and buy shares in another company. Thank you very much."

Mr. Schultz' comments offended the American Family Association, which pointed out that Christian community holds thousands of Bible studies sessions at Starbucks locations around the country and is responsible for tens of millions of dollars spent at the coffee chain each year.

"The prospect for Starbucks' future growth due to faith-based individuals and groups across the country held great promise," Mr. Wildmon said. "But due to Mr. Shultz's alienation of our beliefs, which he demonstrated through his blatantly intolerant, politically charged actions, Christians will likely heed his advice."

To sale or Not to Sale that is the question

Tipsy Streaker

8,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
******** that "Christian" organization. You're supposed to forgive thy neighbors because everyone sins, you hypocrites. They don't even know how their own religion works...

Now, time to go buy as much Starbucks coffee as I can drink. It's worth the price.

Xonked's Senpai

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bookworm 100
Sometimes I have no hope for this religion I'm a part of. Love thy neighbor, do onto others as you would have done onto you. Why do they never follow these things while following the little after thought of Do not lie with a man as you would a woman? (Which it is never mentioned in the bible that people are punished because of it.) We preach love but so few practice it. We're all God's children, emphasis on All.
Now, I don't really like Coffee, but I think when I do buy it for Friends I'll go to Starbucks.

Quotable Genius

13,075 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
...And this is why I can't tell people I'm a Catholic. They automatically think I'm one of these zealots. stare

As for Mr. Schultz telling the group to either suck it up or buy their stock somewhere else, I say kudos for him! He has a very good point; it's a free country, so if you don't like how someone runs things, you don't have to put up with it. They had no right to be offended.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
I just want to kind of bring something up here: all these Christians are protesting gay marriage because the Bible says it's wrong and God doesn't allow it, yet what does it say about divorce? Just saying...

Greedy Consumer

Noire Samhain
Sometimes I have no hope for this religion I'm a part of. Love thy neighbor, do onto others as you would have done onto you. Why do they never follow these things while following the little after thought of Do not lie with a man as you would a woman? (Which it is never mentioned in the bible that people are punished because of it.) We preach love but so few practice it. We're all God's children, emphasis on All.
Now, I don't really like Coffee, but I think when I do buy it for Friends I'll go to Starbucks.
the do unto others as you would have done unto yourself, is closer to what is happening, they want to be bothered so they can b***h about it because their lives are boring.

Loyal Exhibitionist

Is there ANYTHING the silly Catholics won't complain about that is related to homosexuality?

It's getting old, guys. Real old. Stop it before you make yourselves look real stupid.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Welp! I now have a better job that pays good enough for me to splurge on a good iced coffee. I'm already using the hell out of Google and eating a bunch of Oreos. Not Chik-fil-et though, I don't even know where the closest one is, and don't really care to.

Fanatical Prophet

xdivision_whitey
Offended by the decision of Starbucks chief Howard Schultz to support gay marriage, a Christian organization is seconding the CEO's demand that Christian shareholders sell their stock in the ubiquitous coffee chain.

"Christians and pro-family groups across the United States have contributed significantly to the economic success of Starbucks," said American Family Association President Tim Wildmon in a statement. "However, we can certainly honor Mr. Shultz's request to take our business elsewhere."

At Starbucks' annual meeting last week, shareholder Thomas Strobhar, who runs an organization that opposes gay marriage, criticized the company for supporting same-sex marriage, claiming that taking a public stance on the issue was hurting its bottom line. This came after Starbucks last year backed a bill to legalize the practice in Washington state, which led to the National Organization for Marriage boycotting the coffee chain.

Mr. Schultz then invited those who disagree with the store's support for gay marriage to sell their shares and leave the company.

"If you feel, respectfully, that you can get a higher return than the 38 percent you got last year, it's a free country," Mr. Schultz said at the shareholder meeting. "You can sell your shares of Starbucks and buy shares in another company. Thank you very much."

Mr. Schultz' comments offended the American Family Association, which pointed out that Christian community holds thousands of Bible studies sessions at Starbucks locations around the country and is responsible for tens of millions of dollars spent at the coffee chain each year.

"The prospect for Starbucks' future growth due to faith-based individuals and groups across the country held great promise," Mr. Wildmon said. "But due to Mr. Shultz's alienation of our beliefs, which he demonstrated through his blatantly intolerant, politically charged actions, Christians will likely heed his advice."

To sale or Not to Sale that is the question
As a Believer, I don't really get Starbucks that often, and I don't really feel like that's going to change. Maxwell House does a fair enough job of fitting my diet of Coffee and Cigarettes. But I do enjoy Schultz' audacity, you can take it or ******** off.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Hasuki Aatisuto
Is there ANYTHING the silly Catholics won't complain about that is related to homosexuality?

It's getting old, guys. Real old. Stop it before you make yourselves look real stupid.

Too late. The people who are making a big fuss about gay marriage have already disgraced themselves so much, it's hard to say if they can be redeemed.

Dedicated Seeker

9,950 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Member 100
Time to go to Starbucks more often!

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
SparkyKid3000
Hasuki Aatisuto

Too late. The people who are making a big fuss about gay marriage have already disgraced themselves so much, it's hard to say if they can be redeemed.

It's like when Oreos made that rainbow cookie in support of gay marriage, and the Christian hicks (the crazies, not normal people) went nuts and said they would boycott all pro-gay companies, without realizing how much stuff, including their computers, were pro-gay.
Honey of the South
I just want to kind of bring something up here: all these Christians are protesting gay marriage because the Bible says it's wrong and God doesn't allow it, yet what does it say about divorce? Just saying...

Shh. They don't like that part so they pretend it doesn't exist.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Hasuki Aatisuto

You mean they haven't already reached that point? rofl

Loyal Exhibitionist

Ringoringa
Hasuki Aatisuto

You mean they haven't already reached that point? rofl

Stupider may be a more accurate word then. XP

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas