Welcome to Gaia! ::

Omnipresent Warlord

azulmagia
Omnileech
azulmagia
Omnileech
azulmagia

Are you alluding to the recent Utah cancellation?

Yes.

How exactly are the police going to adequately protect her when the open carry law passed in 2004 means that people with a valid concealed weapons permit and a gun cannot be debarred from attending the event?

Quote:
Anita Sarkeesian has canceled her scheduled speech for tomorrow following a discussion with Utah State University police regarding an email threat that was sent to Utah State University. During the discussion, Sarkeesian asked if weapons will be permitted at the speaking venue. Sarkeesian was informed that, in accordance with the State of Utah law regarding the carrying of firearms, if a person has a valid concealed firearm permit and is carrying a weapon, they are permitted to have it at the venue.

(link)

Carthago The US Gun Lobby delenda est.

Is that supposed to mean anything?

It's a reference to Cato the Elder. rolleyes

Well, you can't say that I didn't give you every chance to say something intelligent or rational for a change, and yet you just can't help yourself. There's an inverse relationship between the level of intelligence behind your opinions and the level of snarkiness of those opinions. Of course, those opinions are undoubtedly plagiarized from someone else because that's how you roll.

Let me explain why they make no sense.

Did you know that when Sarkeesian is in most public places, that some law-abiding citizen could have a gun within arms distance of her? Did you know when she drives, the others on the road could also legally have a gun with them? Her neighbors, too, can also legally own a gun? Just about EVERYWHERE anyone goes, strangers can legally possess a gun if they go through the process of obtaining one? You're just as safe or unsafe either way.

Did you know that people with guns, without concealed permits, may be able to sneak a weapon into public places regardless of whether it's permitted or not, and that law enforcement and security has to take that into account when providing security for whatever event they're tasked with securing. Sarkeesian's no more in peril whether the university had that 2004 rule in effect or not because the level of security is the ******** same.

Quote:
How exactly are the police going to adequately protect her when the open carry law passed in 2004 means that people with a valid concealed weapons permit and a gun cannot be debarred from attending the event?

Yes, how exactly are the police going to protect against law-abiding citizens legally carrying concealed weapons? And of course you're a ******** liar about open carry on universities The same way police protects anyone else who's been threatened before they publicly speak.

I know that logical thinking is not something you're good at but by God, you're getting worse at it.
Omnileech
Did you know that when Sarkeesian is in most public places, that some law-abiding citizen could have a gun within arms distance of her? Did you know when she drives, the others on the road could also legally have a gun with them? Her neighbors, too, can also legally own a gun? Just about EVERYWHERE anyone goes, strangers can legally possess a gun if they go through the process of obtaining one? You're just as safe or unsafe either way.

Did you know that people with guns, without concealed permits, may be able to sneak a weapon into public places regardless of whether it's permitted or not, and that law enforcement and security has to take that into account when providing security for whatever event they're tasked with securing. Sarkeesian's no more in peril whether the university had that 2004 rule in effect or not because the level of security is the ******** same.

In that case, why don't you go eat at one of those restaurants where the owners let the clients openly brandish firearms? By that logic, you're no more in danger of being shot there than anywhere else in the country.

That the police cannot legally tell a person with the right permit that they are not allowed to attend, when there is a ******** death threat is ******** up regardless or what anyone thinks of Anita Sarkeesian. By any sensible criterion, the right of Sarkeesian to speak in a secure environment trumps the right of gunloons to pack heat wherever and whenever they feel like it.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, how exactly are the police going to protect against law-abiding citizens legally carrying concealed weapons? And of course you're a ******** liar about open carry on universities The same way police protects anyone else who's been threatened before they publicly speak.

I know that logical thinking is not something you're good at but by God, you're getting worse at it.

rolleyes

Where, where, WHERE did I say that open carry was allowed at the university!? I called the law in question an "open carry law", and if you google "Utah 2004 open carry law" the first two results are:

(1) Utah Open Carry Laws Force Feminist To Cancel Lecture At USU ...

(2) Feminist critic cancels talk at Utah college over open carry law after ...

Better yet, just google "Utah's open carry laws". Every ******** out there is calling the law that allows concealed carry at the university an open carry law!

There is a devil of a difference between explicitly making the claim that "open carry is permitted on campus" - which I must again point out is a claim that is not to be found in what I wrote.

Omnipresent Warlord

Quote:
In that case, why don't you go eat at one of those restaurants where the owners let the clients openly brandish firearms? By that logic, you're no more in danger of being shot there than anywhere else in the country.

Brandishing a firearm is a crime and not protected by law where open carry is legal. Why is it too complicated for you to grasp how to accurately describe things? To answer your loaded question, I would eat one of those "open carry gimmick" restaurants if the reviews of the food was good enough to justify me eating there. Just as I like to go an excellent Thai restaurant in town from time to time even though HOLY s**t EVERYONE IN THE ROOM COULD POTENTIALLY BE CARRYING A CONCEALED GUN. I'm no more at risk in that place than one of those gimmick places and if you'd bother to do research you'd note that there's not any precedent to be afraid of those gimmick restaurants like a high homicide rate. You're a petty demagogue on this subject and I'm not buying the hysteria you're trying to sell.

Quote:
That the police cannot legally tell a person with the right permit that they are not allowed to attend, when there is a ******** death threat is ******** up regardless or what anyone thinks of Anita Sarkeesian. By any sensible criterion, the right of Sarkeesian to speak in a secure environment trumps the right of gunloons to pack heat wherever and whenever they feel like it.

Public officials and other celebrities deal with it all the time, even in your country. You don't strip law-abiding citizens of their constitutional rights as a "precaution" after some threat.

Quote:
Where, where, WHERE did I say that open carry was allowed at the university!? I called the law in question an "open carry law", and if you google "Utah 2004 open carry law" the first two results are:

Better yet, just google "Utah's open carry laws". Every ******** out there is calling the law that allows concealed carry at the university an open carry law!

Just because they made the same ignorant and moronic mistake you did doesn't let you off the hook for failing to know what you're talking about. It's not an open carry law, it's a concealed carry law. Open carry laws are something different entirely. Don't make that stupid mistake again and I won't tear you apart, demagogue.

Tenacious Genius

4,650 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hygienic 200
Omnileech

Quote:

Public officials and other celebrities deal with it all the time, even in your country. You don't strip law-abiding citizens of their constitutional rights as a "precaution" after some threat.
Wrong. Canadian guns laws are quite specific and strict when it comes to carrying firearms. We do not allow civilians to carry guns around like that; and the provinces can further regulate and can allow cities to further regulate guns so that even if the federal government deems an area as being okay to hunt in the city can say no. One important law right away means it's illegal to transport a weapon with ammo in it.
Authorization to carry licenses are rarely granted, only temporary, and only granted to civilians when there is a clear need for them to protect their lives (imminent danger) and it is deemed that law enforcement is not sufficient. They also have to pass a safety course first. Nor do you have a constitutional right to a gun here.

So yeah; we can and will ban guns from events. In fact:

89. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, carries a weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition while the person is attending or is on the way to attend a public meeting.

As you can see we already do.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Morbid Gnome
Blood Valkyrie
Morbid Gnome
Blood Valkyrie
Morbid Gnome
Blood Valkyrie
As for so called feminists who think there is something anti-woman about video games, clearly, those people have not played enough video games. I've seen so many strong, capable, wonderful female characters in video games it's ridiculous!
I'm a feminist who has played many video games. I think there is a problem with the way women are portrayed in video games, just as there is a problem with the way women are portrayed in magazines and on television. There are a few wonderful female characters in games, but there are also a great many who are not so wonderful. So yes, I'm completely against the GG movement and its rather futile effort to keep gaming as a boy's club that caters to their whims.

The gaming community in general is pretty ******** toxic toward women. This GG nonsense is just bringing mainstream attention to an issue that has been going on for a long time.

As another feminist gamer, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. razz
Perhaps I have simply have yet to experience anything negative.
Then you're either lucky or amazingly unaware.

To speak about the mmo community alone, I have:
  • Heard men say that they should have harassed a woman about her weight to the point that she developed an eating disorder, all because they thought she was a bad player
  • Had a former guild officer tell me "You wouldn't have been kicked if you weren't female."
  • Had a guy go on a several minute rant about 'bitches' in games telling him how to play, with me being the b***h du jour for telling him he wiped a raid
  • Had men tell me that they were masturbating to the sound of my voice
  • Been told that when I ******** up or play poorly, it's because of my gender. Men who ******** up or play poorly do not get told this.
  • Been harassed in a game and received no help from in game support staff. I'd like to say this had nothing to do with a gender bias or perception of blame, but it's awfully suspicious when days worth of documented harassment leads to nothing, but a one-line insult leveled at a male friend of mine got the abuser an immediate suspension.
  • Had a guild leader tell me that when the sexist talk gets too bad, just let him know and he'll intervene. When it gets too bad. Because I'm expected to put up with a fair bit of kitchen jokes, talk about how women just suck at games, talk of a guildmate taking photos of his naked neighbor who accidentally left her blinds open, questions about what it's like to be a lesbian(I'm not) because I have some interest in women, and statements that I must be fat and unattractive simply because I hadn't shared a photo of myself yet.

This is a community who thinks it's okay to ask a famous actress what color her pubic hair is in front of thousands of people and who boos a woman for asking that characters don't all look like lingerie models. The commentary on that second link from various important people who work on the game is also appalling(Afrasiabi is just gross) and shows just how little respect they have for women.

Wait, wait. The mmo community? You expect decent behavior from the mmo community? Dude, in the mmo community you're bound to find assholes. Most gamers know this and admit this, even make fun of it. However, the mmo guys do not make up all gamers. You have the jrpg lovers, the simmers, the LPers, the minecrafters, the indie junkies, all kinds of gamers.

Of course you're going to find some sexist people here and there, just like you're going to find feminazis among the feminists. However, the gamers, in general, seem quite ... well, normal.
Now that's just a moving the goal post. wink You said you had no idea what I was talking about when it came to sexism in the gaming community. The MMO community isn't small, it's a several billion dollar industry, and it's definitely a part of the larger gaming community. And the people who play MMOs typically don't do so exclusively. They often play rpgs, sims, fps games, and so on.

Regardless, it's a gaming community and it's extremely hostile toward women. You can say "Well, of course it's toxic," but what do you mean by that? That I, as a woman, should know better than to try to play MMOs? Or that I should just expect the people who play MMOs to treat me like I'm lesser?

I guess I was being confusing. I just don't play in the mmo scene, because other gamers tell me that due to anonymity, lots of pressure to perform, and parents who let their kids play online, lots of harshness goes on about. I've heard about all kinds of insults. It was my understanding that mmo environments are nasty by nature, and if you go there and do any one thing they do not like, you will be insulted horribly, especially if you are new at the game and mess something up. I'm not an mmo gamer, though. I play by myself and hang out with other gamers.

From my experience, though, as a whole the gaming community (as in generally everyone who plays video games) is diverse and pretty welcoming. I've yet to have another gamer say sexist things toward me, or act differently to me, just because there is apparently a v****a in my pants. So, when I said I had no idea what you were talking about, I was assuming you meant that the whole gaming community was sexist, and that did not make sense to me. Blagh! I hate it when I get confused and in turn confuse other people.

On another note, one should take note of the words rape being used in video games. I just had a random thought about this issue, and I don't think you brought it up but I wanted to say this. While I know the word can be used as an insult, in most contexts I've heard it used is a little different. Rape has become the new pwn for some gamers. I've watched two grown men, played a game together, saying things like this to each other, "I'm totally gonna rape you. Dude, you got raped." I can't say much for other gamer lingo, because most of it goes over my head. I tend to use my own lingo when angrily talking to the screen.

Think of it this way. I view feminists as a whole as a bunch of people who want gender equality, even though I'm aware of the feminazis. I've never actually met a feminazi, though. I'm not crazy enough to say that feminists are anti-man. I know this is just not true.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Mei tsuki7
Blood Valkyrie
crownvetch
Blood Valkyrie
Sending death threats to someone is not okay. Seriously. People take this s**t seriously.

As for so called feminists who think there is something anti-woman about video games, clearly, those people have not played enough video games. I've seen so many strong, capable, wonderful female characters in video games it's ridiculous!

Also:

I do think people need to stop sending death threats, though. That s**t's scary.

okami and okamiden had some awesome female characters

Yep!
Some of my other favorites are:

The Cat Lady
Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2
Grim Grimoire
Odin Sphere
Soul Nomad and the World Eaters
Valkyrie Profile and Valkyrie Profile 2
F.E.A.R.

(slightly related rant)

And before anyone mentions it, I do NOT think it's degrading, sexist, or bad for a female character to be displayed in an overly sexualized manner. Sex sells. Sex and sexuality is a good thing. If you don't like it, then too bad. The rest of us humans are going to enjoy ourselves at nobody's expense. These are fictional people. They can be as naked as the game designers want. Nothing wrong with it.

The issue is less that it's sexist to depict a female character a certain way and more that it's sexist due to it occuring so often. Bayonetta by itself is not sexist. Bayonetta within a culture that says that female characters have to be scantily clad to be appreciated or even show up at all the majority of the time is sexist. Basically, games like Tomb Raider and Remember Me should be the rule not the exception.

Ok, so one or two sexy characters is fine, but more sexy characters are sexist?
I do not see the logic there.

And keep in mind, whether we like it or not, most gamers are men, and most men like to see half naked pretty women. It's pretty normal and natural. Sex sells, and nobody gets hurt. I see no problem here, and I'm a woman. Then again, I'm bisexual, so I "objectify" men and women. xD

Omnipresent Warlord

Ryo Tarn
Omnileech

Quote:

Wrong. Canadian guns laws are quite specific and strict when it comes to carrying firearms. We do not allow civilians to carry guns around like that; and the provinces can further regulate and can allow cities to further regulate guns so that even if the federal government deems an area as being okay to hunt in the city can say no. One important law right away means it's illegal to transport a weapon with ammo in it.
Authorization to carry licenses are rarely granted, only temporary, and only granted to civilians when there is a clear need for them to protect their lives (imminent danger) and it is deemed that law enforcement is not sufficient. They also have to pass a safety course first. Nor do you have a constitutional right to a gun here.

So yeah; we can and will ban guns from events. In fact:

89. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, carries a weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition while the person is attending or is on the way to attend a public meeting.

As you can see we already do.

That's not remotely what I meant. Public officials and celebrities, even in Canada, still face the prospect of getting shot when out in public and just because a threat is issued doesn't mean you arbitrarily strip constitutional rights on a whim in the name of public safety. So yes, even if concealed carry is more uncommon in Canada it still happens and at any time you're in public you could be nearby someone armed with a gun whether you know it or not. My point stands.
Omnileech
Quote:

Are you seriously saying that if the status quo ante situation were restored, and the University again had the power to bar them, it would violate their constitutional rights? I fear you are sounding like a 2nd Amendment absolutist.

Art. I, sec. 6 of the Utah Constitution's Bill of Rights reads: "The individual right of the people to keep and bear arms for security and defense of self, family, others, property, or the state, as well as for other lawful purposes shall not be infringed; but nothing herein shall prevent the Legislature from defining the lawful use of arms."

The University is prohibited from barring them under a mere statute that in principle can be repealed, should the Legislature deign to do so. They are not prohibited under the Constitution as such, because that was their (the University's) policy for years until the State changed the law. Moreover, the University is not a PRIVATE institution. A private university could indeed, "strip law-abiding citizens of their consitutional rights", as you put it.

I think instead of defending what the law IS, I think you owe it to the rest of us to explain in plain language whether or not this law SHOULD be on the books. In other words, SHOULD the University have the power to enforce what they want their chosen policy to be?

Quote:
Quote:

Just because they made the same ignorant and moronic mistake you did doesn't let you off the hook for failing to know what you're talking about. It's not an open carry law, it's a concealed carry law. Open carry laws are something different entirely. Don't make that stupid mistake again and I won't tear you apart, demagogue.

You haven't demonstrated that it's a mistake, you merely assumed it is a mistake on the rather flimsy grounds that "open carry" and "concealed carry" are two different things. That's true enough, but it's a side issue, at best. The issue is the content of the law in question, what it allows or forbids the University to do, not what it's called. So, are you basing your contention on semantics or what the law actually says? Do you in fact, know what the actual 2004 bill in question is, and what it says? Have you read it?

Consider this alternate, plausible scenario:

It may be the case that in Utah, a concealed firearms permit might also tacitly exempt the carriers from certain restrictions on open carry. It may also be the case, say, that the actual law in question might not explicitly mention either open or concealed carry, in those words. Perhaps the specific bill passed in 2004 merely confines itself in saying that entities under the state of Utah may not set up their own rules that are more restrictive than what the state allows. You know, as in a uniform firearm law.

Hell, crazy as it sounds, Utah law might even (for all I know) exempt CFP holders from the part of the law that forbids the possession of a dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises.

And since nit-picking is apparently fair game, the actual sentence quoted said, "if a person has a valid concealed firearm permit and is carrying a weapon" - that is, the person is carrying a weapon, full stop, no qualification. No mention of the specific kind of carry. So it's kind of moot.

And finally, the site you linked the .pdf from is not exactly of the opinion that the University has the legal right to prohibit open carry, either*. Given the results in previous wranglings between the University and the State of Utah, I wouldn't bank on the validity of the interpretation of the law in that policy document - especially since it's from four years ago, an eternity in legislative terms. Moreover, the University, to the best of my knowledge, did not assure Sarkeesian that they can indeed turn away people openly carrying. The language in the public statement - if anything - suggests the opposite.
I'm a bit lost. Is this just over some women receiving death threats, and threats in general via internet?

Ive recieved lots of death threats before...even from this site, in the mail, spray painted on my car, I dont flip out.

I dunno I'm staying neutral. I don't invest a lot of time in video game news media...so i have no idea who any of these people are.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
FLynnTagart
I'm a bit lost. Is this just over some women receiving death threats, and threats in general via internet?

Ive recieved lots of death threats before...even from this site, in the mail, spray painted on my car, I dont flip out.

I dunno I'm staying neutral. I don't invest a lot of time in video game news media...so i have no idea who any of these people are.
Here is the short summary of gamergate. A man and his ex made a video game. A man bitched to the internet about his ex who cheated on him with a gaming journalist-he wanted revenge and attention but won't admit it. People reacted reflexively to it and some questioned gaming journalism ethics though it is not like anyone takes game reviewers that seriously. They seem to have questioned female game developers most. At the same time a different woman complained about sexism in video games and people got mad at her. Some were so mad about all of this stuff, they sent death threats to the vengeful, bitchy attention whore's ex and the woman who complained about sexism in video games.
AliKat1988
FLynnTagart

Here is the short summary of gamergate. A man and his ex made a video game. A man bitched to the internet about his ex who cheated on him with a gaming journalist-he wanted revenge and attention but won't admit it. People reacted reflexively to it and some questioned gaming journalism ethics though it is not like anyone takes game reviewers that seriously. They seem to have questioned female game developers most. At the same time a different woman complained about sexism in video games and people got mad at her. Some were so mad about all of this stuff, they sent death threats to the vengeful, bitchy attention whore's ex and the woman who complained about sexism in video games.

Well, people suck i guess.
I don't really give a damn who develops a game, so long as i enjoy it, who cares?

Sexism in video games? How so exaclty? Scantily clad female warriors? I mean i see the logic flaw in mythril chestpiece that only covers dem ta tas, but they arent weak victims...most females in games are depicted as badd a** heroines...

Laura Croft?
Sara Kerrigan
Just about any female character from Mass Effect, or the protagonist is your female.

Seems to me people are looking for something to hate.

On one side you have these nerds, who feel that women are invading and changing their "nerdtopia"(like some lame no girls allowed club)

And on the other are these SJWs who see that and make it their mission to invade and change their club, for no other reason that just shutting down men.

And i think thats unfair, and just plain stupid for those in the middle, like me and hopefully millions of other gamers who dont jump band wagons.

I like scantily clad women, if that makes me a chauvinistic and anti women then sure, whatever floats your boat. I also like women in video games to not be whiny little bitches...which, most arent.
FLynnTagart

here's a less biased and less bullshit summary of "gamergate"

one day Eron got so fed up with how much of a colossal b***h Zoe Quinn, his ex, was and how she's been treated as a perfect innocent untouchable angel in the media so he decided to write thezoepost, which was an account of their relationship backed by screenshots and chatlogs, about how she screwed him multiple times emotionally and physically(including but not limited to threatening to kill herself and apologizing for cheating multiple times without actually apologizing).
some of the people she cheated with were video game journalists, who have been giving zoe's game attention.

this started #quinnspiracy which was essentially about how zoe's game was able to be given so much attention due to her relationships with so many people in the games industry and how pretty much anything negative about her was silenced across the internet.
since gaming websites refused to talk about the issue, despite being very happy to discuss simmilar issues when the target is a male, gamers had to do their own digging and found that the corruption in video game journalism is much larger than zoe quinn.

this started #gamergate which is about exposing the corruption in games journalism and getting gaming websites to update their (nonexistent) ethics standards and to end collusion.
those who are antiGG have decided to change the story so that GG is all about white males wanting women out of gaming, which is not true in the slightest.
gaming websites have not only bought into the false narrative but also started to ban anyone who brought up GG.
this initially started with reddit where literally thousands and thousands of posts were deleted and users shadowbanned, meaning everything looks normal to the poster but to everyone else their posts are invisible.
the only gaming website that has allowed discussion on GG(true discussion, not bullshit like the echochamber that is NeoGAF where only condemnation is allowed) is The Escapist.

game journalists may say that there is no collusion in the industry but the fact remains that roughly 10 gaming websites have put out a hit piece towards gamers proclaiming "gamers are dead" all within the same day.
there was also the discovery of a secret google mailing list where many video game journalists(from all different websites) got together to discuss "what to cover, what to ignore, and what approach their coverage should take to breaking news."
Ben Kuchera(of Polygon) is shown to repeatedly pressure others to remove anything that is negative towards zoe, shut down debate, and close comments and forum threads about journalistic integrity or ethics.
this includes Kuchera trying to get Greg Tito (of The Escapist) to shut down the GG mega thread on The Escapist.

#notyourshield was started to allow minorities and women to defend themselves against those who would say that GG is only white males and that everyone else opposes GG.
the other side continues to berate, harass, and be general terrible human beings by calling them things like "liars, white men hiding behind a black persons picture, gender betrayers, etc."

so far GG has managed to get two websites to update their ethics standards(though one of them is suspect if theyll ever follow them) and have managed to get several advertisers to pull advertisements from several websites who spread hatred.

ZQ and other anti-GG people would have you believe GG is all about her and gamers hatred of women, this is untrue.
ZQ hasnt been relevant since before GG even began.
she continues to throw herself into the center of the debate and antagonize GG, despite claims she gets nothing but harassment from GG, in order to further her career by receiving sympathy from pretty much everyone in the games industry.
Anita Sarkeesian is also completely irrelevant to GG but also chooses to throw herself into the center of the debate in order to further her career by lying through her teeth with a shiteating grin about GG at every opportunity and reeling in the sympathy.

thats the general idea for the most part.
corruption and collusion being deflected into a false narrative about harassment and women hating.
i read this yesterday and liked it so ill post it here:

Quote:
The 5 Stages of Game Journalism Grief

1. Denial - There's no story here, and if you think otherwise you're banned.

2. Anger - Gamers Are Dead

3. Bargaining - Well at least we can all agree that harassment is bad, right? (WE ARE HERE)

4. Depression - Oh god this isn't going to go away, is it?

5. Acceptance - Maybe we're going to actually have to address these issues....
its kind of disgusting the amount of hatred and vitriol the anti-GG side is allowed to get away with because "theyre on the right side" or "they deserved it."
many of these people, particularly prominent members of the gaming world, have apparently never heard of the streisand effect since they believe deleting their comments or tweets mean they never existed.
if you post hatred, vitriol, and even racist remarks they will be screenshotted and it will be exposed.
no, claiming that it was an accident, or that your account was compromised, or giving a halfhearted apology(usually followed by an insult or the apology itself is an insult disguised as an apology) is not going to excuse your actions.

gamers do not need video game journalism, video game journalists need gamers.
insulting your entire userbase is the fastest way to seeing your revenue dry up.
Gawker knows this yet still continues to be a driving force of hatred: "I've been told that we've lost thousands of dollars already, and could potentially lose thousands more, if not millions."
in the next sentence they say "do not want to bully anyone, and that Gawker Media as a company and institution is not pro-bullying."
nevermind the numerous hit pieces against gamers calling us everything from trolls to misogynists to worse, or the rest of the article which is condescending and antagonistic.
Gawker tries to hide their bullshit behind "its just jokes guys! we didnt really mean it!"
"Gawker is rarely perfect, but it strives to be honest and fearless."
honest my a**
[******** you.
Blood Valkyrie
Mei tsuki7
Blood Valkyrie
crownvetch
Blood Valkyrie
Sending death threats to someone is not okay. Seriously. People take this s**t seriously.

Also:

I do think people need to stop sending death threats, though. That s**t's scary.

okami and okamiden had some awesome female characters

Yep!
Some of my other favorites are:

The Cat Lady
Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2
Grim Grimoire
Odin Sphere
Soul Nomad and the World Eaters
Valkyrie Profile and Valkyrie Profile 2
F.E.A.R.

(slightly related rant)

And before anyone mentions it, I do NOT think it's degrading, sexist, or bad for a female character to be displayed in an overly sexualized manner. Sex sells. Sex and sexuality is a good thing. If you don't like it, then too bad. The rest of us humans are going to enjoy ourselves at nobody's expense. These are fictional people. They can be as naked as the game designers want. Nothing wrong with it.

The issue is less that it's sexist to depict a female character a certain way and more that it's sexist due to it occuring so often. Bayonetta by itself is not sexist. Bayonetta within a culture that says that female characters have to be scantily clad to be appreciated or even show up at all the majority of the time is sexist. Basically, games like Tomb Raider and Remember Me should be the rule not the exception.

Ok, so one or two sexy characters is fine, but more sexy characters are sexist?
I do not see the logic there.

And keep in mind, whether we like it or not, most gamers are men, and most men like to see half naked pretty women. It's pretty normal and natural. Sex sells, and nobody gets hurt. I see no problem here, and I'm a woman. Then again, I'm bisexual, so I "objectify" men and women. xD

I'm not saying more. I'm saying if it is institutionalized in the system, which it is, then it is a problem. Again, it's not about one or two characters. It's about the vast majority of them being a certain way and the fact that developers are flat out told to make their protagonists white men or else their games won't get published.

Except it does hurt women. It leads to the issues women face in this country and the world. If you see women as objects then you view them as objects then you treat them like objects.

Also "most" is a misconception. Technically 51%, or even 50.000001%, qualifies as most. Plus it depends on what TYPE of game you are talking about. If you are talking all games then the gap is only 4%. There are actually twice as many women over the age of 18 who play games than teenage boys 18 and younger.
"here's a less biased and less bullshit summary of "gamergate"

"one day Eron got so fed up with how much of a colossal b***h Zoe Quinn..."

Lol, keep trying.

Let me get one thing straight though, the women in question get threats and post screen shots and people call them fake, but the jilted lover posts screenshots and it's suddenly undeniable evidence?
Quote:
Lol, keep trying.
truth hurts
Quote:
Let me get one thing straight though, the women in question get threats and post screen shots and people call them fake, but the jilted lover posts screenshots and it's suddenly undeniable evidence?
i havent seen the evidence that harassment claim #1335241 is made up so i cant say how accurate that claim is.
also, there is no evidence to support that GG was behind any harassment.
ZQ and AS have been harassed long before GG was ever a thing, and will probably be harassed long after GG if they continue to act the way they do.

Eron posted videos proving that the chatlogs were real.
far more evidence than the other side whose only evidence is "i purposefully antagonize a large group of people, someone took the bait and said bad things to me! come to my defense and give me news coverage!"

the latest attempt being especially hilarious with an antiGGer posting on 8chan claiming to be the "leader of gamergate" and saying bullshit like "we're gonna harass more people like always and blah blah blah" then replying to themselves several times agreeing with the OP, then screencapping it and going "SEE? 8CHAN AND GG ARE EVIL!!!!"
little did they know that 4chan and 8chan have an id system which identifies each posters posts, which is placed near your post number and viewable by everyone, which made is painfully obvious that it was an antiGGer trying to drum up false bullshit like always.
it was a fail of astronomic proportions.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff