Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Quote:
KINLOCH , MO (KTVI) – The former acting mayor of Kinloch says she’s been the victim of an assault. Theda Wilson claims police arrested and physically assaulted her after she called to report a burglary in her apartment complex.

Theda Wilson says she called Kinloch police Thursday night to report a possible burglary at an abandoned property next to her own.

“In the back of my apartment I called 9-1-1 thinking they were going to help,” Wilson said.

That’s when the tables turned. When officers arrived, Wilson thought police would check out the vacant building for a possible suspicious person. To her surprise, officers said they were going to take her into custody. That’s when Wilson asked police to read her rights. Police were recorded on camera refusing to read Wilson her rights.

Wilson says she doesn’t know why she was being arrested so she resisted arrest. The Kinloch officer called for back up. Two Bel-Ridge officers arrived. Wilson claims the Kinloch officer and the two Bel-ridge officers used excessive force.

Wilson alleges officers bruised her face and arms.

One eyewitness who did not want to be identified gave this account: “The three officers wrestled her to the ground. That did not need to happen.”

Wilson left the scene by ambulance and was transported to an area hospital for injuries.

Wilson went to the Kinloch Police Department for answers. Wilson and our news crew were told the incident is under investigation. She then headed to the Bel-Ridge Police Department to file a police report. The captain welcomed Wilson and our cameras into his office.

“Well, they are not supposed to beat anybody. I’m told that they attempted to place you in handcuffs and you resisted. They got you in handcuffs, you were placed in a car, and a far as they were concerned, they thought it was done,” said Captain Dan Clyne, Bel-Ridge Police Department.

Police did arrest Wilson. Kinloch police released Wilson at the hospital under her own recognizance. Both Bel-Ridge and Kinloch police say the incident remains under investigation.
And Missouri police departments continue to make asses of themselves.

Is it bad that I find this hilarious? This is just comical.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
heart The must have Really Loved her heart

Distinct Member

Wooooowwwww.
Wonder what she did to prompt that attitude?

Either way the cops just make it harder for people to trust the good ones.

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Unconditional Heart
Wooooowwwww.
Wonder what she did to prompt that attitude?

Either way the cops just make it harder for people to trust the good ones.
"Good" cops defending the "bad
cops makes me even harder for me the trust the "good" ones.

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The SECOND they refused to read her her rights she should have let herself be arrested. Then the cops would have been reprimanded either way and she wouldn't have been injured. I don't understand why people resist arrest even if they haven't done anything. If you truly haven't done anything then it will fall on the cops to PROVE that you did something worth you getting arrested, otherwise you can get them with unlawful arrest.

Her Miranda rights were violated. At that point she should have cooperated 100% and nailed them later for their incompetency.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Kaiser Khorosho
The SECOND they refused to read her her rights she should have let herself be arrested. Then the cops would have been reprimanded either way and she wouldn't have been injured. I don't understand why people resist arrest even if they haven't done anything. If you truly haven't done anything then it will fall on the cops to PROVE that you did something worth you getting arrested, otherwise you can get them with unlawful arrest.

Her Miranda rights were violated. At that point she should have cooperated 100% and nailed them later for their incompetency.

None of that gives them the right to use violence. Ever. It's not like she threatened anyone any harm. And legally, they cannot arrest you without just cause. What was she being arrested for? That was never said. Get it?

Undead Enchantress

I wonder if there was history between her and the local police especially during her mayoral term?

Conservative Regular

Nyadriel
Kaiser Khorosho

None of that gives them the right to use violence. Ever. It's not like she threatened anyone any harm. And legally, they cannot arrest you without just cause. What was she being arrested for? That was never said. Get it?

Resisting arrest is still illegal and pointless

Her Miranda rights were violated on camera.

at that point she should of just gone along with it letting the cops get deeper and deeper in s**t.

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Texadar

at that point she should of just gone along with it letting the cops get deeper and deeper in s**t.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Texadar
Nyadriel
Kaiser Khorosho

Constitutionally it's legal to resist an unlawful arrest.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Am I the only one who feels like there was a time gap? I mean, it reads like she calls the cops and the very second they show up, they arrest her. There has to be something in between.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Kaiser Khorosho

THIS
Those were my thoughts as well. Why on earth did she resist arrest?
Presumably someone who was "acting mayor" and knows enough to be asked to be read her rights also knows enough to know they were screwing up. She allegedly had not committed any crime up to the point of resisting arrests so why on earth commit one then?

It really sounds like there is more to this story.
Like maybe the cops know she has a history of bogus calls or... something.
Based on the limited information given the cops were out of line and she was out of line.
I suspect there is some history here.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Mei tsuki7
Texadar
Nyadriel
Kaiser Khorosho

Constitutionally it's legal to resist an unlawful arrest.

I'm pretty sure that just not reading her the miranda rights does not make it "false arrest".
False arrest (as I read it) is typically where the officer did not have a right to arrest the person in the first place. No miranda is more like arrest with screwed up procedure that will probably get you released even if you did commit a crime. Police can also restrain you without formally pressing charges while they are determining if they think you have committed a crime. Not the best wording I know - but for example like when there is a fight or something and they cuff or place people in the backs of police cars until they determine if / who they are going to arrest and then release the others.

Either way - resisting arrest then places the burden on her to prove it was a false arrest.
Cops could pretty easily come up with something to justify the arrest even if charges would not stick. It still would have been better to go along peacefully and then file complaints / lawsuit against the cops.

I still think there is more to this. It sort of sounds like the woman had the intent of starting something / trying to make a point in the media.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
User Image

So they arrested her after she called to report a burglary in her apartment complex? Did they think she was the burglar?

User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces