Welcome to Gaia! ::

UF6
Not sure what is more unnerving, the idea that these people are trying to pass this, or the fact that they feel that actual liberals exist in the United States of America.

I make Hollande look like Reagan.

vegaspresent's Queen

Girl-Crazy Lover

12,425 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Gender Swap 100
Keltoi Samurai
JamesWN
Keltoi Samurai
Y'know, I'd heard about this movie, but I had no interest in watching it until I started hearing all this noise about it being "liberal bashing" and "anti-intellectual" and whatnot.

The reviews I keep hearing just wind up making me wonder, if it really was that horrible, then how'd it get made in the first place?

Large amount of money and people that wanted to receive said money?

Yes, I understand that films involve lots of money, but if the film is as obviously horrible as is claimed, then how in the world did they get investors willing to spend money on something not liable to create any return on their investment?

I mean, Hell, if all it took to get investors to pay for making a movie was an idea one believes hard enough in, then The Aspergic Adventures of Sonichu: The Autisming would have been playing at a theatre near you not too long ago.
I think it was the same investors that funneled money into thous Atlas Shrugged movies, And please don't get me started on how bad the acting on thous movies were.

Gracious Cat

11,650 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
The filmmaker and the senator seem to confuse criticism of America with dislike/hate for the country. What they are both missing is that part of America's strengths is being able to look at itself and acknowledge mistakes and wrongs committed in the past as well as what needs fixing today. This makes the U.S. better in the long run because you can't fix what you don't acknowledge. Countries throughout the world have racism, corruption, crimes against humanity (now and in the past), and such that they ignore or cover up.

I'm an American and I love my country. I feel as if it is the duty of a citizen to look critically upon ones country and government. You can't truly love your country by only looking at what makes it wonderful, you have to look at what's wrong head on and do what you can to fix or relieve it.

I also think that the premise of the movie is all wrong. The title comes off as whiny. Why not just make a film about the U.S.'s accomplishments?

The jokes on the senator and the filmmaker since any kid stuck in that room watching that movie will be using that time for some shut eye, just like every movie shown in a classroom.

Sparkling Member

1,950 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Gender Swap 100
Keltoi Samurai
JamesWN
Keltoi Samurai
Y'know, I'd heard about this movie, but I had no interest in watching it until I started hearing all this noise about it being "liberal bashing" and "anti-intellectual" and whatnot.

The reviews I keep hearing just wind up making me wonder, if it really was that horrible, then how'd it get made in the first place?

Large amount of money and people that wanted to receive said money?

Yes, I understand that films involve lots of money, but if the film is as obviously horrible as is claimed, then how in the world did they get investors willing to spend money on something not liable to create any return on their investment?

I mean, Hell, if all it took to get investors to pay for making a movie was an idea one believes hard enough in, then The Aspergic Adventures of Sonichu: The Autisming would have been playing at a theatre near you not too long ago.

It would be among the cheapest documentaries ever made, though. The footage is already on YT.
[/spoiller]

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Critics pan your book, it doesn't sell, Costco discontinues it because it isn't selling.
You make a movie based on the book.
Critics pan your movie and it doesn't do well in the theaters.

Your answer to both scenarios is "cuz conspiracy!"

LOL!

The bill should not pass but if it does, showing it in the schools could be a useful tool for fostering discussion about spin, about the portions of history left out of the film and so on. Even about the political and social ramifications of forcing a one sided view to be taught in the schools. So it seems like unless a particular teacher showing the film actually buys into everything it is saying, said teacher could take a crap film and make it into a useful learning experience.

(*assuming crap film based on the critics' comments. Have not actually seen the film.)

Dapper Fatcat

Gardening_with_Rave_Music
Florida, this is why nobody loves you.

TBH people who live in Florida don't even like Florida lol
I hope this doesn't become a thing, I'm a high school student in seminole county and I know so many people will be annoyed and uncomfortable.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
You're better off making them sit in math class for another hour.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff