Welcome to Gaia! ::

What are your thoughts on this petition?

Worthy cause 0.325 32.5% [ 13 ]
Lost cause 0.55 55.0% [ 22 ]
Other 0.125 12.5% [ 5 ]
Total Votes:[ 40 ]
1 2 3 4 >

Anxious Informer

9,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
Previously: Florida Files Petition to Keep Gay Marriage Ban

Quote:
Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi on Monday filed an emergency appeal with the U.S. Supreme Court in an attempt to keep gay marriages from starting in Florida in three weeks.

Her office asked the high court to extend a stay that is set to expire Jan. 5.

If the court rules in her favor, same-sex couples would be blocked from getting marriage licenses in Florida. Also, the state would not be required to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states.

Read more here

Update:

Quote:
In a ruling late Friday, the U.S. Supreme Court said it will allow same-sex couples to begin marrying in Florida on January 6. But that doesn't mean that clerks will actually issue licenses.

A federal judge ruled in August that the state's ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, and stayed his decision until early January. The state had asked the U.S. Supreme Court to extend that stay, but the justices have now declined. Ordinarily, emergency requests from Florida are heard by Justice Clarence Thomas, but he referred Florida's petition to the full court. According to Friday's decision, only Thomas and Justice Antonin Scalia were in favor of granting the state's request, and so it was denied.

More here

Kawaii Shoujo

Love is love and that shouldn't even be banned for anyone.
Torture YES, queers marrying NO.

Wonderful ethical priorities you Yanks have there.

Gaian

Well then...Florida IS the Deep South, after all. After all, how could love exist between two men or two women? The very nerve of us Florida voters and our bid to pull this shitty state a little further out of the morass of intolerance and one-sided thinking!

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Lulamoon Sage
Well then...Florida IS the Deep South, after all. After all, how could love exist between two men or two women? The very nerve of us Florida voters and our bid to pull this shitty state a little further out of the morass of intolerance and one-sided thinking!

I suppose it is a little of our faults. We send all our old rotters there to die, so they feel the need to take it out on someone else. And the back woods aren't really known for their education standards... You've got, like, a three percent chance of passing anything pro-gay.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
azulmagia

Hey, now. Don't go lumping all rednecks in with them.

West Virginia (I'm pleasantly shocked to say) isn't even as backwards as Florida on this issue.

Gaian

Alexander J Luthor
Lulamoon Sage

I suppose it is a little of our faults. We send all our old rotters there to die, so they feel the need to take it out on someone else. And the back woods aren't really known for their education standards... You've got, like, a three percent chance of passing anything pro-gay.
I dunno...this seems like a last ditch effort to stop same sex marriage in the state to me. Let's see if they can get this petition passed in three weeks.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Lulamoon Sage
Alexander J Luthor
Lulamoon Sage

I dunno...this seems like a last ditch effort to stop same sex marriage in the state to me. Let's see if they can get this petition passed in three weeks.

Why are they so concerned though? It's not like gay people will flood into Florida.

Gaian

Alexander J Luthor

Why are they so concerned though? It's not like gay people will flood into Florida.
I have no idea. Maybe they think gays and lesbians being able to be married here will cause some sort of Twilight Zone effect where the same sex couples will unite and form an open American chapter of the Taliban while eating babies, burning the US flag and jay walking at major intersections?

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Lulamoon Sage
Alexander J Luthor

I have no idea. Maybe they think gays and lesbians being able to be married here will cause some sort of Twilight Zone effect where the same sex couples will unite and form an open American chapter of the Taliban while eating babies, burning the US flag and jay walking at major intersections?

******** Jay-walkers!! scream

For real, though. People are so paranoid.
Lulamoon Sage

Wrong. Florida is a Yankee stronghold in the south made up of retired yankees.

Gaian

Old Blue Collar Joe
Lulamoon Sage

Damn sure doesn't seem like it, seeing as Voldemort's little brother Rick Scott got reelected and people are fighting so hard to keep same sex marriage out.

Gaian

Alexander J Luthor
Lulamoon Sage
Alexander J Luthor

******** Jay-walkers!! scream

For real, though. People are so paranoid.
They really are. Love between two consenting adults at or above the age of consent (1 cool is love no matter if it's a man and a woman or two men, or two women.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Lulamoon Sage
Old Blue Collar Joe
Lulamoon Sage

Damn sure doesn't seem like it, seeing as Voldemort's little brother Rick Scott got reelected and people are fighting so hard to keep same sex marriage out.

Actually, it's both.

The part on the mainland is Deep South, but the peninsula part is all Yankee, forming a damn geographical anomaly whereby the further south you go in Florida, the further north you end up.
Keltoi Samurai
azulmagia

Hey, now. Don't go lumping all rednecks in with them.

West Virginia (I'm pleasantly shocked to say) isn't even as backwards as Florida on this issue.

Even some Democrats are astonishly soft on the issue of torture(probably because Obama refuses to actually admit that the charge of torture is legally actionable), according to polls.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff