Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Detective

7,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
Quote:
Today, all blood is screened for HIV and testing for the virus is advanced.

If all blood is screened anyway, who gives a s**t who sleeps with who?

Let me get this straight. My friend and his boyfriend cannot donate blood when they've been together for years. But my son's grandmother, who literally slept with every Tom, d**k & Harry known to man when she was alive, could donate?

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Stale Taste

Because you can think whatever you want, but there are definitions for all the different orientations out there. Heterosexuals means only the opposite sex. Think of yourself as heterosexual if you are sex with guys, but you aren't. It means your identity fails to reflect what is reality, which is a sign of mental illness. You can think of yourself as a flamingo, but that doesn't make you one.

Thanks, Dr. Phil. You've truly figured it out. If one's identity or definition of one's sexuality doesn't match the dictionary's, it's clearly a sign of mental illness.
I am sure that people who never identified as homosexual or heterosexual, or where there wasn't a word for homosexual/heterosexual/bisexual behaviour then that must mean there wasn't homosexual/heterosexual/bisexual behaviour...logic.

Please school all the people who identify as a but are really b, because the dictionary says so. Please invalidate their identities, orientations and feelings.
Thank you for straightening it out. You're truly insightful. Let me go over to bisexuals and tell them hey guys, only two!!

So funny.

Quote:

There is the whole ******** tree of sexualities for you. I wish you well on your journey on developing an accurate self-identity.

You missed asexuality, demisexuality and grey asexuality. There is also romantic attraction, which doesn't always mean sexual attraction, but I digress.

TL;DR:

Your opinion on other people's identities doesn't actually matter.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Maternal Muffin

Let me get this straight. My friend and his boyfriend cannot donate blood when they've been together for years. But my son's grandmother, who literally slept with every Tom, d**k & Harry known to man when she was alive, could donate?

arrow The thing here isn't how many people that person has been with, it's whether they've been safe in their sex lives. Heterosexual, homosexual or otherwise, it really should be about risky behaviours.
The FDA is clearly biased in this regard, and if everyone wears a condom when they have intercourse, why should it matter how many sexual partners they even have?

Dedicated Student

Stale Taste
GayAndGodlessVegan
Stale Taste
GayAndGodlessVegan
Stale Taste
Gays and bisexuals only account for 2% of the US population. Some of them are not even having a**l sex because they are lesbians, not gay men. Yes, there is an increased risk of contracting HIV from a**l sex, but there are more heterosexual couples out there having a**l sex than there homosexual couples.

arrow Not just bisexual and gay men have sex with other men. Straight men can have sex with other men and still identify as straight. Sexual identity does not equal sexual orientation, that should be made clear to everyone.

arrow That is very possible. I guess the stigma is between men having a**l sex.

Heteroflexible=/=heterosexual

How so? I mean, if a straight man has sex with other men, he can still identify as straight.
Sexual identity =/= sexual orientation/preference.

Our identity is ours to define.

Because you can think whatever you want, but there are definitions for all the different orientations out there. Heterosexuals means only the opposite sex. Think of yourself as heterosexual if you are sex with guys, but you aren't. It means your identity fails to reflect what is reality, which is a sign of mental illness. You can think of yourself as a flamingo, but that doesn't make you one.

1. Heterosexuality is romantic attraction, sexual attraction or sexual behavior between persons of opposite sex or gender. As a sexual orientation, heterosexuality is "an enduring pattern of emotional, romantic, and/or sexual attractions" to persons of the opposite sex; it "also refers to a person's sense of identity based on those attractions, related behaviors, and membership in a community of others who share those attractions."

2. Heteroflexibility is a form of a sexual orientation or situational sexual behavior characterized by minimal homosexual activity in an otherwise primarily heterosexual sexual orientation that is considered to distinguish it from bisexuality. It has been characterized as "mostly straight".

3. The corresponding situation in which homosexual activity predominates has also been described, termed homoflexibility.

4. Homosexuality (from Ancient Greek ὁμός, meaning "same", and Latin sexus, meaning "sex" wink is romantic attraction, sexual attraction or sexual behavior between members of the same sex or gender. As a sexual orientation, homosexuality is "an enduring pattern of emotional, romantic, and/or sexual attractions" primarily or exclusively to people of the same sex. It "also refers to a person's sense of identity based on those attractions, related behaviors, and membership in a community of others who share those attractions."

5. Bisexuality is romantic attraction, sexual attraction or sexual behavior toward both males and females,[1][2][3] and may also encompass romantic or sexual attraction to people of any gender identity or to a person irrespective of that person's biological sex or gender, which is sometimes termed pansexuality.[4][5][6]

6. Pansexuality, or omnisexuality,[1] is sexual attraction, sexual desire, romantic love, or emotional attraction toward people of any sex or gender identity.[2][3] Self-identified pansexuals may consider pansexuality a sexual orientation,[3] and refer to themselves as gender-blind, asserting that gender and sex are insignificant or irrelevant in determining whether they will be sexually attracted to others.[4][5]

There is the whole ******** tree of sexualities for you. I wish you well on your journey on developing an accurate self-identity.

Sexuality isn't about who you have sex. Sexuality is about who you are sexual attracted to. That doesn't mean you are prohibited from having sex outside of who you are sexually attracted to in order to identify as that sexuality. People do this for all kinds of reasons. Maybe they are heteromantic but asexual. They might have sex with thier partner to fulfill an emotional need for the other, but not themselves. Also, where did you get your definitions? Romantic orientation is separate from you sexual orientation or sexuality.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Lupa Fangs Makucha

Sexuality isn't about who you have sex. Sexuality is about who you are sexual attracted to. That doesn't mean you are prohibited from having sex outside of who you are sexually attracted to in order to identify as that sexuality. People do this for all kinds of reasons. Maybe they are heteromantic but asexual. They might have sex with thier partner to fulfill an emotional need for the other, but not themselves. Also, where did you get your definitions? Romantic orientation is separate from you sexual orientation or sexuality.

heart

Thank you.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

GayAndGodlessVegan
Kei Nanjo
Young King under Heaven
Wait, one year after their last sexual contact? So, what, if a gay man wants to donate blood, he has to wait a whole year and have no sex until then? Wouldn't it be simpler just to require someone to test for HIV/AIDS before giving blood and barring it that way?

I think the problem with that was there's an incubation period before the virus will show up on the tests, so if you get testing the day after getting HIV it won't show.

These are the types of tests that can be done to detect the presence of the virus.

Ah so it still isn't immediate but we do have tests for it now. It shouldn't be a for-life ban, that much I've always agreed with, but it's good to know the specifics. The ban should probably be four weeks of no sex and a negative test result. That'd be much more reasonable.

What gets me is that females got a year ban and guys got a life ban.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Mark Danced Crazy

Ah so it still isn't immediate but we do have tests for it now. It shouldn't be a for-life ban, that much I've always agreed with, but it's good to know the specifics. The ban should probably be four weeks of no sex and a negative test result. That'd be much more reasonable.

arrow How about no ban and more thorough testing? How about asking whether they've engaged in unprotected sex?...That's risky and just testing all samples for HIV would be better.

arrow I don't know what to tell you.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

GayAndGodlessVegan
Mark Danced Crazy

arrow How about no ban and more thorough testing? How about asking whether they've engaged in unprotected sex?...That's risky and just testing all samples for HIV would be better.

arrow I don't know what to tell you.

Asking if they've engaged in unprotected sex is probably the best bet.

Dedicated Student

GayAndGodlessVegan
Lupa Fangs Makucha

heart

Thank you.

You are welcome. That just irks. People of certain sexualities have had sex with people outside thier sexual attractions for years for whatever reason. It's not a foreign concept. Lesbians will have sex with men so that they can have a child. This stuff is not uncommon.

However there is this thing going around on tumblr right now. This bi woman is asking that people don't claim they are lesbians if they have sex with men because it hurts lesbians. And I am just wondering if I should leave a message asking if I should call myself asexual then. I am pansexual. I feel sexual attraction to all genders and sexes. Yet, I am not having sex. Does that mean I'm asexual?

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Lupa Fangs Makucha

You are welcome. That just irks. People of certain sexualities have had sex with people outside thier sexual attractions for years for whatever reason. It's not a foreign concept. Lesbians will have sex with men so that they can have a child. This stuff is not uncommon.

However there is this thing going around on tumblr right now. This bi woman is asking that people don't claim they are lesbians if they have sex with men because it hurts lesbians. And I am just wondering if I should leave a message asking if I should call myself asexual then. I am pansexual. I feel sexual attraction to all genders and sexes. Yet, I am not having sex. Does that mean I'm asexual?

arrow Or for whatever reason. Not mine to question, frankly.

arrow What one does or does not do doesn't determine one's identity.

Feral Nymph

Maternal Muffin
Quote:

Because the screening isn't foolproof. Even the direct antigen tests require week before the patient shows any signs. And while I don't quite remember the questionnaire off the top of my head, your mother may end up excluded anyways.

There can be changes to FDA regulations and there should be, but to everyone going "derp the tests will fix things", that is not the case. There's a reason donation facilities want to know your medical history, because your blood is going to be given to someone else.

Feral Nymph

Super 9-Volt
If I was having sex with other men, I would have lied my a** off on that form. But they won't accept my blood anyways because apparently my iron is low. cat_rolleyes They need to get rid of the ban altogether.

If that is your mindset DO NOT ******** DONATE. You are putting other, vulnerable, people at risk with your selfish need to show off that you can donate blood. Hell, if you *know* you are not eligible, tell the worker there so they can slap a "Do Not Use" label on it to fulfill your bizarre need to have blood drawn, but are too risky to actually use.

Jesus Tap-dancing Christ on a cracker, it's like no one actually understands what goes into blood banking. Especially the part where your blood is going to be put into someone else.
GayAndGodlessVegan
Quote:

Some changes could be taking effect this year when it comes to gay men donating blood.

The FDA plans to lift a lifetime ban and instead, defer gay men for one year after their last sexual contact.

It's been 30 years since Michael Quint has donated blood.

"30 years, that's a long time," Quint says.

Before that, he was always first in line.

Then an eligibility question he'd never seen before asking if he had sex with men.

"I realized I couldn't give anymore, which was heartbreaking because it's something I've always done and always wanted to do," Quint says.

The FDA instituted the lifetime ban on blood donations from gay men in the 1980s during the AIDS epidemic. At that time, little was known about AIDS or HIV and the FDA says the ban was intended to protect the blood supply.

For Quint, it was a traumatic experience.

"Because I wasn't out, it became even more dramatic or emotional for me because I had to stop giving," Quint says. "And I'd just have to say, well, I'm not feeling well, I don't have time, and that was the challenge."

That leads many medical groups and gay rights activists to question the purpose of the ban now.

"It feels so terrible to be seen as dirty and a risk and not wanted," says Elise Johansen, the executive director of Equality Maine.

The FDA has plans to lift the ban, with some restrictions.

Instead of a lifetime deferral, gay men would be deferred for one year after their last sexual contact.

In a statement, the FDA says this decision is based on the results of several recent "scientific studies and recent epidemiological data" and this "better aligns the deferral period with that of other men and women at increased risk for HIV."

"It still feels really discriminatory because it's not a ban based on science, it's based on stigma and bias," Johansen argues.

Johansen says this recommendation is getting mixed reactions, she says many gay men in relationships would still not be able to donate blood.

"Both things are being said in the same conversations, which is yes, it feels like a step in the right direction, but it's not good enough," Johansen says.

According to an analysis by the Williams Institute at UCLA, under this new recommendation, 185,800 additional men are likely to donate 317,000 pints of blood per year.

If there were no restrictions on gay men donating blood, those numbers would nearly double to about 360,600 men donating about 615,300 additional pints.

"There's so many people in our families and in our community that need blood and it would be so wonderful to be able to say, you know what, I donated blood today and I'm really proud I did so and you should do so too," Johansen says.

Quint believes his day will come, when nothing will restrict him from donating. And if it does, "I'm going to be the first one in line," Quint says.

Quint is the organizer of Portland's Gay Blood Drive, which is an opportunity for people who can donate blood, to do so on behalf of a gay or bisexual man who cannot.

He plans to organize this event again this summer in Portland.

The FDA plans to draft its new recommendation sometime this year, which will also include an opportunity for public comment.

source: url=http://www.wgme.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/fda-lifts-ban-gay-men-donating-blood-restrictions-26116.shtml#.VOzQXvnF_94

arrow Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?

arrow I personally feel it is still a form of discrimination against men who are sexually active with other men, regardless of orientation or identity. Men who are monogamous or even men who are extremely careful are still being singled out.

tbh, the guy shoulda kept donating irregardless, he liked donating blood, and it does help folks who might need it down the road time wise, besides the fact they aren't removing the ban completely even now is silly. nothing wrong with who you like or what you do. actually I'm curious tho why only gay men? why were gay women excluded from that law? gay is still gay regardless of gender, so why do gay men get singled out?

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
MasterEryni

arrow The actual law bans men who have sex with men. Not specifically gay men. Just any man who hit the D at some point.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Pessimist

If that is your mindset DO NOT ******** DONATE. You are putting other, vulnerable, people at risk with your selfish need to show off that you can donate blood. Hell, if you *know* you are not eligible, tell the worker there so they can slap a "Do Not Use" label on it to fulfill your bizarre need to have blood drawn, but are too risky to actually use.

Jesus Tap-dancing Christ on a cracker, it's like no one actually understands what goes into blood banking. Especially the part where your blood is going to be put into someone else.

arrow So, even if people do not know they're at risk, they still cannot donate because the banks cannot be bothered to test blood regardless of orientation? Or is it just to 'prevent' because well us homos are just a bunch of promiscuous d**k-pirates who just go at it raw with the first dude who gives us a compliment? And obviously all of us are infected...so, throw the proverbial baby with the bath water.
Assume all of us are HIV-ridden f*gs (pardon my language)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff