Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A man whose 6-year-old son was among those killed in the Newtown, Conn., elementary school massacre was scheduled to appear in Connecticut Superior Court Wednesday on larceny and other charges.

Neil Heslin, who has lobbied Congress and the Connecticut legislature for increased gun control in the wake of the shooting, had five separate cases listed on the docket in Milford Superior Court.

The News-Times of Danbury reports Heslin faces charges that date back to July 2011, three of which involve allegations he issued bad checks to purchase building materials for his construction company.

The two other cases involve checks on closed accounts that Heslin allegedly used to pay for just over $1,000 worth of home heating oil in June 2012 and a check for $102.35 worth of repairs to his vehicle at an Ansonia tire shop six months earlier, the newspaper reported.

Heslin, who has pleaded not guilty to all the charges, referred questions about the case to his attorneys, who did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

Heslin's son, Jesse Lewis, was among 26 people shot to death inside Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14.

Since then, Heslin has been among the most visible of the Sandy Hook parents lobbying for gun restrictions, including an appearance in Washington that apparently resulted in him missing a recent court date.

Superior Court Judge Frank Iannotti has ordered Heslin to explain Wednesday why he was not in court on April 15.

Heslin was part of a contingent from Newtown that was meeting with U.S. senators that week, asking them to pass legislation that would have included universal background checks for gun purchases.

Heslin was asked by the News-Times if he thought his legal troubles might undermine his advocacy efforts.

"I never gave it much thought. I guess you can look at it either way," he told the newspaper. "If there's something to talk about, people are going to talk about it, good or bad, no matter what."

just wow

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

I don't think people should let the larceny charges discredit him because they aren't related to guns so it's not like he's a hypocrite who's hiding ten or fifteen guns in his home and uses people as target practice in his spare time.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I find it interesting that they're specifically focusing on the fact that he's the father of a Sandy Hook victim, like that has anything to do with this case. Me thinks his lawyers are trying to garnish sympathy to get a smaller sentence.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

Stahlherz
Super Fightin Prototype
I don't think people should let the larceny charges discredit him because they aren't related to guns so it's not like he's a hypocrite who's hiding ten or fifteen guns in his home and uses people as target practice in his spare time.

Don't be surprised if that ends up happening. People easily succumb to the influence of ad hominems.

It's sad, but true. This thing gets people thinking, "He committed a criminal act so his words automatically mean nothing hur hur" even though murder and larceny aren't really comparable. Even criminals have a hierarchy - they're not automatically 100-percent immoral assholes.

Dangerous Citizen

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
Wow... I hate to put it this way... I really do... but Karma really came and bit him hard.

But as many before me have said, him being the father of a victim bears no weight on his current charges at all.

Tipsy Smoker

The news is getting desperate.

Apocalyptic Rogue

21,100 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
What a criminal dirtball.
Chahklet
The news is getting desperate.

Getting?

Wintry Dragon

Would this be news if the man didn't have Sandy Brooke attached?

Charged Enthusiast

28,825 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Timely Contributor 100
  • Newbie Helper 100
It just sounds to me they are playing on sympathy to get public interest behind him and a lighter sentence. Sorry guy....you do the crime....you do the time!

Dangerous Citizen

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
Stahlherz
Jeremy Kaji
Wow... I hate to put it this way... I really do... but Karma really came and bit him hard.

But as many before me have said, him being the father of a victim bears no weight on his current charges at all.

Karma is simply a just-world fallacy and seems to me to also be post hoc ergo propter hoc.

It was intended as a joke of the irony of the situation dealing with how he had done so many dirty deeds and now bad things are happening to him. As morbid as it turns out to be...

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Alexander J Luthor
I find it interesting that they're specifically focusing on the fact that he's the father of a Sandy Hook victim, like that has anything to do with this case. Me thinks his lawyers are trying to garnish sympathy to get a smaller sentence.

Because without the Sandhook 'draw' this is just another nothing story about some guy that wrote some bad checks. Otherwise no one would give a s**t and frankly they shouldn't. Courts handle cases like this all the time.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff