Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Source

Quote:
Brian Metzger has gone to drastic measures to protect his daughter. The Wisconsin dad filed a restraining order against her 5-year-old alleged bully.

Metzger’s daughter, 6, was repeatedly harassed by a male classmate at Prairie Lane Elementary School, according to a recent story published by Wisconsin local news affiliate WISN12. "She came home and said a student threatened her by saying, 'I want to slit your throat and watch you bleed,'" Metzger told WISN12. He explained that she and other students have been dealing with the same individual all year. Metzger had complained to school officials about the boy in the past, but they failed to remove him from his daughter's class, according to the New York Daily News. So Metzger decided to take the matter to the police.

The May 12 incident is described as "disorderly conduct” and involved the boy kicking the girl in the face and throwing sand and rocks at her during gym class, according to the Pleasant Prairie Police Department's report. He was sent home that day for his behavior.
Metzger delivered the restraining order to the school on May 13, and on the following day, the boy was removed from his daughter’s class.
However, Metzger isn’t satisfied. He says his little girl used to love kindergarten but now doesn’t want to go to school. Metzger wants the boy removed from the school — and the Kenosha Unified School District. Prairie Lane Elementary School spokesperson Tanya Ruder could not elaborate on specifics however she emailed the following statement to Yahoo Shine. “KUSD is working directly with the families involved and will continue working with them. Providing a safe learning environment for all students is one of our top priorities.” A hearing on the restraining order is set for Tuesday, May 20th. Metzger could not be reached for comment and the identities of the boy and his parents are unknown, so Yahoo Shine could not confirm Metzger's allegations.
“Although it's difficult to comment directly without knowing the specifics of the case, it sounds as though these types of verbal threats are extremely disturbing and a red flag that one needs professional attention,” Fran Walfish, PsyD, a Los Angeles based child psychologist and author of The Self-Aware Parent, tells Yahoo Shine. “However, the physical behavior — kicking and throwing things — is most concerning. It’s possible that the boy was mimicking a scene he saw on television or in real life or that he himself was disciplined in a similar manner", says Walfish who is not involved in this case. "But either way, getting help now is crucial because kids are most pliable before the age of seven. Between the ages of 7 and 12, children transition into adolescence and their defenses go up, so it’s much harder to reach them, emotionally," she says. "The fact that the boy is only five, is a sign that he may be more receptive to getting help.”
Metzger may succeed at getting the boy transferred from his daughter's school, but removing him from the district could be challenging, says Walfish. "All public schools are required to provide free public education to children, whether or not they are disturbed. However the school could place the boy in special classes for children with disciplinary problems or provide him with a 'shadow' teacher, who would provide special attention," she says.

Metzger's actions against the boy may seem extreme, but he's just the latest parent to take legal action. Earlier this month, a father in Fairfield, Calif. took out a restraining order against a 9-year-old boy, who he says attacked his 10-year-old son, claiming the school failed to document the incident. The alleged attacker was later expelled for an unrelated incident.

In my opinion, I'd say the dad should talk to the boy's parents about this brat, since the parents are solely responsible for this little boy's aggressive behavior. *Sigh* more failed parenting in this generation....

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Reiko Iwamaru
[

In my opinion, I'd say the dad should talk to the boy's parents about this brat, since the parents are solely responsible for this little boy's aggressive behavior. *Sigh* more failed parenting in this generation....

Thing is, going against the other parent leads you more open to a counter-suit or legal action while a district has a reputation to worry about.

Dangerous Explorer

'I want to slit your throat and watch you bleed,'

Okay no, that's a psychopathy in the making. He should NOT be around other children at all. Seriously how can a kid say something like that and not get locked up for mental issues after.

Dedicated Student

Good on the father I say. Even if they are that young you have to protect your kid.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
As a father, I would teach her to aim for the testicles next time. That'll show the little s**t.

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
OtakuJeannie
Reiko Iwamaru
[

Thing is, going against the other parent leads you more open to a counter-suit or legal action while a district has a reputation to worry about.

I know that, but honestly, I think the parents of that 5 year old should do more for their kid and teach him that this stuff is NOT okay at all, but I think they're already doing that at this point considering how far the case escalated.

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Alexander J Luthor
As a father, I would teach her to aim for the testicles next time. That'll show the little s**t.

Bad idea. Although it's satisfying since we're talking about getting back at the 5 year old brat for his behavior, encouraging a child to fight the bully physically will only make the problem worse; it will get BOTH kids in trouble. The little girl who was getting harassed by this brat did a good move by telling her dad what was up.

I do like your idea though...The little brat needs some SERIOUS help. I swear, in his future years as a teenager, his parents should send him to boot camp.
I think it's fitting. If the school doesn't punish the kid, then maybe the parent of the victim should instead.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Shadow teacher... stare That would be nice. Highly doubt they'll do it. they'll probably stick him with other problem children and they get feedback on each other attitude problems. How about he sits in the principles office/library till he can get his act together. Hire a substitute teacher they are willing to keep as his teacher. then Add Mandatory school counseling till he out of that school. Only Time he get to interact with other kids is during Lunch.

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
Well, seeing as how trying to catch the boy in the act on camera counts as "invasion of privacy" now, I guess this is the best we can do for this moment, huh?

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
I'll bet the five year old's abusive actions are directly related to whatever home environment he's living in. It would pretty much be useless to go up and talk to the parents about correcting his behavior. This sounds like it was some serious, long-term stuff that prompted the father of the little girl to take legal action. I'd do the same thing if my school wasn't stepping up to the plate to deal with someone who was physically abusing my child regardless of their age.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff