Cute Spirit

15,700 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Hero 100
Elephants raid crops on dark nights
Source

Quote:
Elephants are so crafty they carry out their raids on plantations to coincide with the darkest nights, scientists have found.

Scientists at Anglia Ruskin University in UK found the huge animals track the lunar cycle and avoid organizing their raids when the moon is full.

The findings show that elephants are aware that they are doing something risky, that humans are a threat and they work out a plan to minimize the risk of contact.

The researchers carried out their work at the Mikumi National Park in Tanzania. Five villages on the park's northern boundary were selected for the research, which recorded instances of elephants raiding crops being grown close to and within human settlements, 'The Times' reported.

The study found that the number of elephant 'raid nights' varied throughout the lunar cycle, with significantly fewer raids occurring during a full moon. The extent of crop damage also fell considerably during the full moon phase.

"Elephants are cathemeral, meaning they are active during day and night, but they raid crops almost exclusively at night, suggesting they only venture close to villages when they believe they are harder to detect," said co-author Rachel Grant, lecturer in animal behaviour at Anglia Ruskin.

"An elephant's awareness of the higher risk of being detected on moonlit nights, because of the visual advantage gained by humans, could account for the changes in their behaviour during the lunar cycle and explain why elephants are less likely to venture close to villages during the full moon," Grant said.

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
proof that elephants are smarter than humans (even smarter than me)

Apocalyptic Codger

19,050 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Never really thought about it but non full moon night would be the ideal time for elephants to do raids.

Loyal Exhibitionist

E.Beth
Never really thought about it but non full moon night would be the ideal time for elephants to do raids.

I don't know all too much about elephants, but I don't think they can see as well as other nocturnal creatures so they require SOME light to do their raids and moonlight is enough.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Zombie Ovaries
Elephants are so crafty they carry out their raids on plantations to coincide with the darkest nights, scientists have found.

I was just reading a National Geographic article about how lions carry out raids (or at least more attacks on humans happen) on the darkest nights.
Apparently not so great to go out at night if you live in places with jungle type animals.

Dapper Gawker

David2074
Zombie Ovaries

I was just reading a National Geographic article about how lions carry out raids (or at least more attacks on humans happen) on the darkest nights.
Apparently not so great to go out at night if you live in places with jungle type animals.
Lions are pretty bad a**, but I have seen a zebra try to drown a lioness who was attacking him. I was like this zebra must have grown up in the ghetto.

Kind of random but I've seen a dear beat up a dog for looking at her too much. the dog kept trying to run away but she just kept stomping and kicking him.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
AnaI Crackers
David2074
Zombie Ovaries

Lions are pretty bad a**, but I have seen a zebra try to drown a lioness who was attacking him. I was like this zebra must have grown up in the ghetto.

Kind of random but I've seen a dear beat up a dog for looking at her too much. the dog kept trying to run away but she just kept stomping and kicking him.

I've seen video of a deer attacking a dog. Have not seen a zebra do that but animals sometimes are surprising when faced with dying.

Dapper Gawker

David2074
AnaI Crackers
David2074
Zombie Ovaries

I've seen video of a deer attacking a dog. Have not seen a zebra do that but animals sometimes are surprising when faced with dying.
I don't know why but when deer attack, it's the funniest thing to me, because even as the person falls they don't stop. They just keep going and it looks so innocent.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
AnaI Crackers
David2074
AnaI Crackers
David2074
Zombie Ovaries

I don't know why but when deer attack, it's the funniest thing to me, because even as the person falls they don't stop. They just keep going and it looks so innocent.

That was interesting. Thanks.

Invisible Explorer

7,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
  • Market Browser 100
I have something that'd stop an elephant from ninja'ing my crops.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

AnaI Crackers
David2074
Zombie Ovaries

Was it like this? Video title: Deer Brutally Stomps Oblivious Dog and Bully Cat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Kja9_dXVw

Dapper Gawker

Super Fightin Prototype
AnaI Crackers
David2074
Zombie Ovaries

Was it like this? Video title: Deer Brutally Stomps Oblivious Dog and Bully Cat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Kja9_dXVw
yea, the one I watched was a ghetto voice over though lol.

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
I really wanna see an elephant raid in action now. heart

Unbeatable Hunter

9,475 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Citizen 200
true but im sure the half moon provides light and dude that is way to funny and awesome XD we could learn strategy from this elephants could teach us a lot about strategy. biggrin

Loyal Exhibitionist

Parodically_Tragic
I have something that'd stop an elephant from ninja'ing my crops.
A tranquilizer dart, right?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces