Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
harm teacher by spreading hand sanitizer

Elba Central School District officials have investigated a plot by three fourth-grade girls to harm their teacher by spreading hand sanitizer on items in the classroom. The teacher reportedly is highly allergic to the sanitizer.

Superintendent Jerome J. Piwko Jr. said no crime was committed and no one was injured or placed in harm’s way.

But Piwko said, in a written statement, "the event has been a shock to our community and school."

He said the district cannot comment specifically because of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Genesee County Sheriff Chief Investigator Jerome E. Brewster said in the days leading up to the Christmas break three students were overheard by another student talking about trying to harm a teacher by spreading hand sanitizer on items in the classroom because they felt the teacher had been mean to them or had yelled at them.

More here

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
ugh, what is it with children and not understanding the reality of 'death'?

Apocalyptic Comrade

28,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hero 100
Attempting murder at 10? 8? I can't wait to see them on America's most wanted. They'll make millions in book sales by publishing "I was a sociopath murderer at 10". Their parents really aught to take them to a private therapy.
how was hand sanitizer supposed to kill her?

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
guy30

The article said she was highly allergic to hand sanitizer. It could be one of those allergies where contact could cause hives and/or aniphilaxis (I've tried spelling that stupid word five times and spell check isn't helping). Maybe they saw a reaction when she came in contact once or she banned the hand sanitizers from her room. But for kids to want to do this because they think the teacher is mean...bunch of little sociopaths. What the hell is wrong with our youth?
Fireweed_honey
guy30

The article said she was highly allergic to hand sanitizer. It could be one of those allergies where contact could cause hives and/or aniphilaxis (I've tried spelling that stupid word five times and spell check isn't helping). Maybe they saw a reaction when she came in contact once or she banned the hand sanitizers from her room. But for kids to want to do this because they think the teacher is mean...bunch of little sociopaths. What the hell is wrong with our youth?
clearly i should have read the article. I just skimmed the post, and thought it was a massive overreaction by the school/police.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
guy30
Fireweed_honey
guy30

clearly i should have read the article. I just skimmed the post, and thought it was a massive overreaction by the school/police.

That's okay. It was just a single line. Easily missed.
I think it's far more likely that the 9 year Olds didn't understand exactly what they were doing. They probably didn't understand how severe an injury it could cause. Maybe they thought the teacher would just get a rash or be itchy. They didn't say anything about wanting to kill the teacher did they?

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Mei tsuki7
I think it's far more likely that the 9 year Olds didn't understand exactly what they were doing. They probably didn't understand how severe an injury it could cause. Maybe they thought the teacher would just get a rash or be itchy. They didn't say anything about wanting to kill the teacher did they?

Eh, I'm fairly sure they know what they were doing.
As a 9 yo, I knew that kind of crap could kill people, and I know many 9/10 yo's who do too.
Bzzztt
Mei tsuki7

As a 9 yo, I knew that kind of crap could kill people, and I know many 9/10 yo's who do too.

I think you're over estimating the intelligence of 9 year olds. I certainly didn't know that food allergies could kill people when I was nine. We act like child are nothing more than little adults far too often.

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Mei tsuki7
Bzzztt
Mei tsuki7

I think you're over estimating the intelligence of 9 year olds. I certainly didn't know that food allergies could kill people when I was nine. We act like child are nothing more than little adults far too often.

I see people underestimating the intelligence of 9 year olds.
Honestly it's impossible to tell. Some people don't know the difference at their age, some people do.
I don't like coming to a set conclusion of what those students are/were thinking because you really don't know; they didn't outright tell you what they wanted to really do, or what they know. But I do believe there's a high possibility of those kids understanding what death is. I mean, cmon, they're nine, they should know what it means to die by now.

Magical Tree

Frightens me a bit.

I wonder if they understood how badly it would hurt their teacher?

I wonder if that teacher has an epi-pen? She should if her allergy is that serious.

But... this also proves to me I'm right in not telling my students what I can and cannot eat (or touch). I have a ton of allergies, none serious, but.. rashes and itching get annoying. Not that any of my students are plotting to harm me.. I doubt it. My students are pretty good kids.
"Teacher, here have a banana."
"Oh thanks. I'll eat it later." - Me... accepting the banana, putting it away and not eating it later.
They don't feel hurt, and I don't itch. Win-win.

Tipsy Smoker

Why the ******** is she working in this field?

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Chahklet
Why the ******** is she working in this field?

Same reason anyone with an allergy working in that or any other field.

My response to this whole thing:
Poor widdle babies dun like getting yelled at by a teacher. Get over it kiddos! We all get yelled at by our teachers at one time or another. It's not that big a deal. If you abide by the classroom rules and behaved yourself...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff