Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A Cairo schoolboy died on Sunday after being severely beaten by his teacher who has now been suspended, Egypt's education ministry said as an inquiry was launched.

Corporal punishment is common in Egyptian schools, where official negligence has been blamed for the deaths in late 2014 of two children in accidents because of badly maintained equipment.

The 12-year-old pupil died on Sunday "after being beaten by a teacher the previous day", a ministry statement said.

It said the teacher has been suspended and an "urgent inquiry" started to determine the circumstances of the boy's death.

The child had head injuries and suffered a brain haemorrhage, forensics department chief Hisham Abdel Hamid told AFP.

The number of child abuse cases in Egypt has reached alarming proportions.

Between January 2014 and the end of October, attacks on children increased by 55 percent compared with the average over the previous three years, the National Council for Childhood and Motherhood said in December.

It said 50 percent of the cases of violence against children were registered in schools.

In September, the director of a Cairo orphanage was sentenced to three years in jail for assaulting minors.

Video footage posted on the Internet show him beating children who run away screaming.

We have it so easy

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
When I was in school corporal punishment was allowed.
However - IF you got a swat it was one swat, on the butt, with a wooden paddle.
It wasn't as hard as the teacher could swing and it sure as hell in no way involved anything that could result in head injuries.

It said 50 percent of the cases of violence against children were registered in schools.

If by that statement they mean in 50% of the cases it was the schools committing the violence that is simply horrific.
I'm starting to lose trust in humanity. There are too many idiots like this out there.

Benevolent Sex Symbol

This makes me sick, there are seriously people who are around children because they feel like they have power or something. I feel like people don't ask themselves how would I feel if it happened to me.
If I was that child's parent, I'm sorry there would be no "Inquiry." It'd be Hammurabi's Code, an eye for an eye. My child dies, so does the teacher who beat them.

Powerhungry Genius

44,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
TheSecondShadowrunner
I'm starting to lose trust in humanity. There are too many idiots like this out there.
I think I lost that trust a while ago.
shadowswhiskers13 -
TheSecondShadowrunner
I think I lost that trust a while ago.

I knew a small group of people who were good. They are about the only ones.

Generous Rogue

10,900 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Hybrid98
This makes me sick, there are seriously people who are around children because they feel like they have power or something. I feel like people don't ask themselves how would I feel if it happened to me.
If I was that child's parent, I'm sorry there would be no "Inquiry." It'd be Hammurabi's Code, an eye for an eye. My child dies, so does the teacher who beat them.

Eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind. I empathize with the statement, I really do, but think for a second before you as a first world privileged citizen throw it out there so easily, because Egypt is absolutely the kind of place where it happens already. For all any of us know, that teacher may never make it to his own inquiry, and saying something like, well he had it coming, makes us no better than him.

Benevolent Sex Symbol

Iraxi_Reelay
Hybrid98

Eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind. I empathize with the statement, I really do, but think for a second before you as a first world privileged citizen throw it out there so easily, because Egypt is absolutely the kind of place where it happens already. For all any of us know, that teacher may never make it to his own inquiry, and saying something like, well he had it coming, makes us no better than him.

He had it coming.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
How horrible. What kind of teacher would beat a kid to the point of brain and skull injury? Why would you even hit his head?
emotion_donotwant

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces