Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

-offices torched

Link

Quote:
The headquarters of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood have been burned and ransacked following an all-night siege – one day after millions protested on Egypt's streets calling for President Mohamed Morsi's resignation.

In an episode reminiscent of the sacking of Hosni Mubarak's political headquarters during Egypt's 2011 uprising, around 50 anti-Brotherhood protesters spent the night attacking the compound – situated on a rocky, isolated outcrop in east Cairo – with molotov cocktails, causing a series of small fires and explosions.

With police nowhere to be seen, Brotherhood cadres returned fire, killing at least four, and injuring at least 80 – according to medics at the scene.

Both sides told the Guardian that the other had started the battle, which began at around 7pm on Sunday. It was not possible to verify either claim.

At roughly 7am, after 12 hours of fighting, Brotherhood reinforcements arrived – possibly, bystanders said, because one of the fires had grown too big, and those inside now feared being smoked out. The reinforcements covered their colleagues' exit with live fire – the Guardian later saw bullets being plucked from the wall. Bystanders said that some Brotherhood members were injured and handed to the authorities during the blaze.

Once the other Brotherhood members fled, protesters stormed the compound and accelerated the blaze. Firefighters said they arrived at 9am – too late to save the building, which is now charred and still filled with smoke. Once the worst of the fire was put out, hundreds re-entered the building, looting and destroying its remaining features.

"It's a great feeling. I've wanted to do this for three years," said Ahmed Yassin, a student from Alexandria, holding the office nametag of Mohamed el-Badie, the Brotherhood's leader. "Their offices are being trashed all over Egypt – but this was the most important, because they are running the country from this office."

Opponents of the Brotherhood detest the organisation because it is perceived to unduly influence Morsi, a political associate, and because it seeks to impose too narrow a vision of Islam on Egyptian society.

On Monday morning, men and women were still taking away air-conditioning units, safes, sinks, and filing cabinets – as well as the copper nametags of Khairat al-Shater, the Brotherhood's most powerful figure, and Badie.

Inside, there was chaos, with black smoke still billowing through the upper rooms, and looters fighting over the spoils. Outside, a crowd of 200 chanted "the people demand the fall of the regime", indicative of the view that the Brotherhood has seized control of most of the state.

The Brotherhood itself believes that though Mohamed Morsi is a sympathiser, the state is still controlled by officials loyal to ousted dictator Hosni Mubarak.

The scene at the headquarters was a microcosm of the extreme polarisation affecting Egyptian society, which is divided between those who may be religious, but do not seek an Islamic state – and Islamists like the Brotherhood, which seeks to use the concepts of Islamic law to govern Egypt. Even state institutions appear to have been drawn into the division. The police, who defended the same building during a similar attack in March, did not intervene on Sunday.

"I feel victorious," said Ahmed Badawy, a Cairo resident shot in the hand by birdshot fired by Brotherhood members during the night. "But we'll only have truly won once Morsi leaves."

UPDATE:
Armed Foreces gives 48-hour ultimatum untli take-over
Quote:
The Egyptian army threatened Monday to take over power if political forces failed to reach consensus over the future of the country.

A spokesperson for the General Command of the Armed Forces, speaking in an audio statement broadcast by state television, gave all political groups in Egypt a 48-hour grace period to respond to the demands of the people.

The army reiterated its "call that the demands of the people be met and gives [all parties] 48 hours, as a last chance, to take responsibility for the historic circumstances the country is going through," the statement, read out on television, said.

"If the demands of the people are not met in this period...[the army] will announce a future roadmap and measures to oversee its implementation."

The statement praised Sunday's protests against the rule of the Muslim Brotherhood and President Mohamed Morsy.

On June 23, Defence Minister Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said that the moral responsibility of the army towards the people compels it to intervene and prevent the country from sliding into a dark tunnel of conflict, internal strife, criminality and treason.

This responsibility demanded the army save Egypt from the possibility of becoming a failed state.

He has also called on all political forces to reach a formula of understanding and genuine reconciliation to protect Egypt and its people.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
It's like watching a schizophrenic crack head try to build a birdhouse while using and destroying the same parts over and over again.

Ferocious Browser

It's heartening to hear that somewhere in the world people fight for their beliefs and try to destroy oppression.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Quote:
The Egyptian army threatened Monday to take over power if political forces failed to reach consensus over the future of the country.

******** you, Egyptian military. More women were raped, assaulted, and arrested during your first government-less take over than in the average year in India.

Dangerous Smoker

Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

******** you, Egyptian military. More women were raped, assaulted, and arrested during your first government-less take over than in the average year in India.

Keep in mind, lex:
This is the same army that did not take sides during the arab spring, nor has taken sides in the current state of affairs. They are underfunded, undertrained, and undermanned. They are the world's worst-off police force, and their dedication has been to the people first, never to any government.

They can't be everywhere at once, especially not in a war-torn desert nation.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Commissar Hark
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

Keep in mind, lex:
This is the same army that did not take sides during the arab spring, nor has taken sides in the current state of affairs. They are underfunded, undertrained, and undermanned. They are the world's worst-off police force, and their dedication has been to the people first, never to any government.

That's the thing, though. I remember the reports, and the worst atrocities were committed by the military. They would kidnap women off the streets, strip them, degrade them, molest a LOT of them, then make them do the frat house walk of shame back into public where they were shunned by men and pitied by other women. Those who stood up and protested this barbaric treatment were beaten and arrested again. For the first time I can recall, I wished a government would step in and stop this madness. It makes me fear what would happen if America fell into full control of its military.

Dangerous Smoker

Alexander J Luthor
Commissar Hark
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

Keep in mind, lex:

That's the thing, though. I remember the reports, and the worst atrocities were committed by the military. They would kidnap women off the streets, strip them, degrade them, molest a LOT of them, then make them do the frat house walk of shame back into public where they were shunned by men and pitied by other women. Those who stood up and protested this barbaric treatment were beaten and arrested again. For the first time I can recall, I wished a government would step in and stop this madness. It makes me fear what would happen if America fell into full control of its military.

There's where you mess up, you assume a middle eastern country's military could even pretend to be like our military.

In the US, if a military member sneezes at someone in a way that could somehow be seen as offensive, they face Non-Judicial Punishment, or NJP. (commonly referred to by me and my shipmates as "captain's mast" wink and most likely drop rank and forfeit pay. in the case of sexual assault? nSome fools still think we brush it under the rug, but the reality is that we wash our hands of you. You get sent to the Brig, where you only get out to go to courts-maretial before you're handed over to civilian police, who throw your a** in prison. If there was no US, the military would still have the means to prosecute and jail it's own members when they break the UCMJ, which covers everything from theft to sodomy.

In Egypt, their version of a uniform code of military justice disappeared as soon as Mubarak's army left him. Miltary justice didn't exist. The Military suddenly had no pay, no support systems, no outside help, and a general feeling of "what the ******** is going on? What are we doing here?"

Their military has no screening process like ours does, You can join the egypt army as a repeated sex offender and convicted felon. Too bad in most moslem societies the only sex offences are "perpetuated" by women. Their culture revolves around beating and raping women who voice their dissent. You're surprised these things happened? A squad of Egyptian Army troops get orders to "keep the peace," it means just that. Rape and beat until the women clear the streets, and verbally berate the men for letting their women out!

Islam,bro. It's wild and crazy.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Commissar Hark
Alexander J Luthor
Commissar Hark
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

Keep in mind, lex:

There's where you mess up, you assume a middle eastern country's military could even pretend to be like our military.

In the US, if a military member sneezes at someone in a way that could somehow be seen as offensive, they face Non-Judicial Punishment, or NJP. (commonly referred to by me and my shipmates as "captain's mast" wink and most likely drop rank and forfeit pay. in the case of sexual assault? nSome fools still think we brush it under the rug, but the reality is that we wash our hands of you. You get sent to the Brig, where you only get out to go to courts-maretial before you're handed over to civilian police, who throw your a** in prison. If there was no US, the military would still have the means to prosecute and jail it's own members when they break the UCMJ, which covers everything from theft to sodomy.

In Egypt, their version of a uniform code of military justice disappeared as soon as Mubarak's army left him. Miltary justice didn't exist. The Military suddenly had no pay, no support systems, no outside help, and a general feeling of "what the ******** is going on? What are we doing here?"

Their military has no screening process like ours does, You can join the egypt army as a repeated sex offender and convicted felon. Too bad in most moslem societies the only sex offences are "perpetuated" by women. Their culture revolves around beating and raping women who voice their dissent. You're surprised these things happened? A squad of Egyptian Army troops get orders to "keep the peace," it means just that. Rape and beat until the women clear the streets, and verbally berate the men for letting their women out!

That's what I'm talking about. Imagine if our military was given that unquestionable power.

Dangerous Smoker

Alexander J Luthor
Commissar Hark
Alexander J Luthor
Commissar Hark
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

Keep in mind, lex:

That's what I'm talking about. Imagine if our military was given that unquestionable power.

Buddy, we got it. Wiki up an ohio-class submarine and you know we've got the power. But we also have standards. We are the best military force on the planet, and the funny part is? We try our absolute best to look like we deserve to be. We care about our PR. We want to look good, be the good guys. that stuff. We run charity blood drives and food drives and volunteer at schools and s**t like that to justify our swollen budgets, and if the government fell, we'd be shitting ourselves trying to prop it up.

The Egyptians had no government loyalty. This p***k Mubarak was a total a*****e and they all knew it. But they're no hyper-elite. They have shitty old russian T-72 's and AKs left over from the yom kippur war. They are little more than organized mercenaries.

All I'm saying is that I was FLOORED that they didn't immediately disband into gangs of pirates and jackals when mubarak's regime fell. They tried, brutal as it was, no s**t TRIED to keep some sad excuse of order in the streets, like they are now. Yes, they're practiacally thugs in matching camo, but their leaders actually tried to do the right thing.

Their men are dirtballs, their leaders are poor at controlling troops in the field, but the generals in charge displayed some real goddamn humility there, and while far from commendable, deserves a nod.

Dangerous Smoker

It was a blast chatting with you all tonight but i got work in the morning, No hard feeling of course, and keep expressing those opinions! I'm out emotion_awesome
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

aside from the fact that i hate that the Egyptian military is gonna be taking charge again -they were the ones responsible for the muslim brotherhood getting in charge btw- but that statement about assault and rape is not true, the Muslim brotherhood regime is very aggressive towards women and their rights, they openly invite people to harass and assault women, also they were trying to strip women off their rights.

i'm an Egyptian who lives in Cairo and i can assure you that violence against women is waaay worse than ever, last November i was with a friend of mine at Al-tahrir square and there were guys who tried to chase us out and when we refused they tried to sexually assault us but we beat them up, what we found out later that these were thugs hired by Khairat Al shater to terrorize anyone who is near "semiramis intercontinental" because he wants to buy it.

statements were made such as "female protesters are only there to fish for customers as they're prostitutes" and "these women are looking to be harassed" "you should harass women who go out of their home for unnecessary reason, women should stay home"

also female activists were assaulted by a bunch of guys who belonged to the muslim brotherhood and then they stated that these women were of "bad reputation"

violence against women escalated after the muslim brotherhood Regime.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Commissar Hark
It was a blast chatting with you all tonight but i got work in the morning, No hard feeling of course, and keep expressing those opinions! I'm out emotion_awesome
I passed out hours ago and just woke up. @.@

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces