Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
The devastating damage inflicted by one of history’s worst ***** began to emerge Thursday as parents in London were informed that a serial sex offender from the U.S. had targeted boys in their school.

William Vahey, an American teacher, is believed to have drugged and abused at least 90 students in his care during an unprecedented wave of attacks at schools from Nicaragua to Indonesia. Child-protection experts told The Daily Beast that he had been taking advantage of lax international standards that left thousands of American children vulnerable to attack.

An education official in Britain has confirmed that students at the Southbank International School in London were among the first known victims of the teaching veteran, who authorities say committed suicide last month in a Minnesota motel when he discovered he was being investigated by the FBI. Sir Chris Woodhead, the chair of governors at the Southbank school and formerly Britain’s chief inspector of schools, said he “felt physically sick” when he was informed that one of his most popular teachers had been responsible for decades of abuse. The images found on Vahey’s thumb drive, which was uncovered in Nicaragua, suggested scores of teenage boys had been drugged and then molested, often without their knowledge.

“This is the worst thing that I have been involved in,” Woodhead told Sky News. “We simply know that there are images of Southbank students that have been found on Vahey’s computer. The names of those students are being investigated by the police.”

That confirmation came as a devastating blow to parents who gathered at the school gates in one of London’s most expensive neighborhoods on Thursday, hoping to hear that their children had not been among the victims.

One of the parents, who gave her name as Maria, told a group of reporters that her son, 13, had been taken on overnight trips by Vahey. “I couldn’t sleep for worrying about it… Mr. Vahey also took my son on a field trip abroad and this is a big concern for us,” she said. “I know there are pictures that police have of boys, but if my son is on the list, I don’t want to know and I don’t want him to know.”

Scotland Yard told The Daily Beast on Thursday, however, that officers were working in conjunction with the FBI to identify Vahey’s victims in his four years working in London. Investigating officers believe the boys involved were aged between 10 and 14.

Vahey, 64, from New York, was first arrested in 1969 on six counts of molestation while working as a swimming instructor in California. He pleaded guilty to one count and was jailed for 90 days. He was required to sign up to the California sex offenders’ registry, but instead skipped town and embarked on a new life—teaching, coaching, and supervising the children of diplomats and military families in far-flung parts of the world.

His jobs included 20 years at the Jakarta International School in Indonesia, three European schools, stints in the Middle East and South America before he was caught with indecent images again and fired by a school in Nicaragua last month.

Woodhead said the school in London, where Vahey worked until last year, had carried out the criminal-records checks required by British law and spoken to previous schools, which gave him glowing references. “He was a very popular member of staff with both parents and students, which is perhaps an index of his sophistication and cleverness as a deceitful man who abused children,” he said.

“You would have thought that within America itself the fact that he had a conviction for child abuse would have prevented him from becoming an accredited teacher in the United States—it is a complete mystery as to how he taught from 1970 onwards in international schools throughout the world with this conviction behind him,” said Woodhead.

Bharti Patel, chief executive of ECPAT, an organization that campaigns against transnational child exploitation, said there’s no effective global database that allowed international schools to check teachers’ history of child abuse.

“For a long time, repeat offenders have got away with this,” she said, emphasizing that parents using international schools have no idea what kind of checks are being carried out on the people caring for their children. “There has to be a universal database that applies equal standards across the globe—we are talking about children. There is a need to do this and it needs to be done urgently.”

An official from the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Center in London said it had set up a database for international schools to check the records of British teachers traveling overseas, but it was left to individual countries to make that information available. Individual international schools are then often under no obligation to check in with multiple countries to see whether any crimes have been recorded.

Vahey was teaching ninth-grade world history and geography at the American Nicaraguan School in Managua when his employer came across the abuse images. The FBI applied for a warrant to examine a thumb drive containing the explicit pictures two days before Vahey killed himself.

The files, which officials say included images of at least 90 boys, were carefully catalogued with the dates and locations of field trips on which they were taken, dating back to 2008. He is believed to have been coaching sports teams and leading field trips for more than 30 years before that, which may mean there were hundreds of previous victims.

In a statement released by the FBI, veteran child-abuse investigator Patrick Fransen said the scale of the abuse was unprecedented: “I’ve never seen another case where an individual may have molested this many children over such a long period of time.”

That is disgusting!

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
This is one reason why I wish ***** could be castrated. (I could go on, but... )

Dedicated Student

Child molester. Not specifically *****. And this guy should be lock away and the key thrown away.

Greedy Fairy

7,350 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Sick sick sick. Why test on animals when you have *****... Castration should become the punishment, not jail time.

Dedicated Student

Salt N Burn
Sick sick sick. Why test on animals when you have *****... Castration should become the punishment, not jail time.

If someone though t about murdering someone just because they were angry at them, but would never do it would you call for that person to be jailed and murdered?

Greedy Fairy

7,350 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Salt N Burn

If someone though t about murdering someone just because they were angry at them, but would never do it would you call for that person to be jailed and murdered?

What I meant was, and without getting into it: if you were found to be a child molester, after being tried in a court of law and guilty without any reasonable doubt, or a repeat offending ***** child molester, then the punishment should be castration. Not jail time. Repeat child molesting ***** usually get out of jail pretty quickly, only to repeat offend.

Greedy Fairy

7,350 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Also, as a molestation victim, from the age of 1 years old the age of 7 years old, molested by foster homes and foster parents, YES. They should be castrated. Have their balls cut off. Or their clitoris cut off. Female castration is possible.
I never said " people who are not found guilty by a court of law of child molestation should be castrated."

Divine Whisperer

31,725 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
How about life in prison? Where every inmate will know what you did. Apparently it's cheaper to keep them alive then it is to give them the death sentence, so.. daily torture from the population of a jail sounds good to me.
It's very unlikely that they'll ever be able to cure themselves of that sick fetish, so, letting them out at all doesn't really make sense to me.

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
in ancient rome rapists and molesters would have their balls crushed between two stones

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Child molester. Not specifically *****. And this guy should be lock away and the key thrown away.

Well, he already killed himself so that's not likely to happen.
On the other hand, he saved taxpayers a lot of money and he won't reoffend.

Dedicated Student

David2074
Lupa Fangs Makucha

Ahah. This is true. I thought it had been another who knew about it though. I misread.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Lupa Fangs Makucha
David2074
Lupa Fangs Makucha

Ahah. This is true. I thought it had been another who knew about it though. I misread.

Yeah, I figured. I wasn't really trying to play reading comprehension Nazi. smile
I was just sort of amused at the mental picture of his dead body being tossed in a cell and the key thrown away.

Kind of the way some folks want overkill on the punishment of folks like him.
"Castrate him with a dull knife! Then run over him with bicycles until he is dead. Then run him through a wood chipper. Then feed the chewed up remains to crocodiles. Then burn the crocodile s**t. Then mix the ashes with water to make a paste and use the paste to paint bad things about him all over the walls of where he used to live. Then burn the place down."

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Idol Syndrome
in ancient rome rapists and molesters would have their balls crushed between two stones

Except for the men who had sex with 12 year old boys. That was very legal.

Questionable Streaker

Idol Syndrome

Now why cant we do that now? Oh wait. We cant since child molesters and rapists are "human" and deserve to be treated like "humans" by giving them trials. This is why the world sucks. :C

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff