Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unbelievable!
The mother's words really rang true.
The woman suing is being very insensitive and downright disrespectful.
How could you put the boy's family in more pain than they already are?
This is like throwing salt on the wound and then setting it on fire with a torch.

Lonely Millionaire

6,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Wall Street 200
This is actually making me sick to my stomach. Who in the right mind would do something like this, she has obviously never lost anyone important to her. I would like to have a sit-down with this lady and see what she is really thinking.

Versatile Gaian

19,375 Points
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Torii Attendant 100
...This is just..Oh, wow. Just...This woman is an incompetent. She doesn't even seem to realize that she is feeling all that because she killed someone's child.

Kitten

Because there's never any trauma for the monster who accidently hit someone. rolleyes I can only imagine what it must of been to go through that an have it weigh on your conscious for the rest of your life.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Marrmee
Because there's never any trauma for the monster who accidently hit someone. rolleyes I can only imagine what it must of been to go through that an have it weigh on your conscious for the rest of your life.

Oh my god, you've opened my eyes, she totes deserves payment for murdering a child and not jail time in the slightest.

Kitten

Alexander J Luthor
Marrmee

Oh my god, you've opened my eyes, she totes deserves payment for murdering a child and not jail time in the slightest.
Ya know. With out knowing everything that happened I have hard time feeling bad for just one person. So yeah, I feel that way. No may not be the popular opinion, but I don't care.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Marrmee
Alexander J Luthor
Marrmee

Ya know. With out knowing everything that happened I have hard time feeling bad for just one person. So yeah, I feel that way. No may not be the popular opinion, but I don't care.
There's been more information throughout the thread.

Kitten

Alexander J Luthor
Marrmee
Alexander J Luthor
Marrmee

Does it really bother you that much?
If so, get over it.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Marrmee
Alexander J Luthor
Marrmee
Alexander J Luthor
Marrmee

Does it really bother you that much?
If so, get over it.

Maybe someone should kill your child in an accident and sue you for it. neutral
Seems to me she wants compensation for her guilty conscience. But...that's not how it works.

Demonic Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
How dare you make me feel bad for killing you.

Seriously?.....Nah ******** that noise.

Magical Genius

David2074

I followed the link from your linked story - that had a photo and more details. I found it interesting and more than I had heard on this case. However I still think the woman was more than "20% at fault" Your lap is not the best place to be taking the lid off a styrofoam cup full of hot liquid. I do find it interesting they keep (kept?) their coffee so hot, but then again the average pizza is served hot enough the cheese will blister your mouth. One uses common sense, and tests, takes a small bite / sip etc. I've had McDonalds coffee a number of times. Also very hot coffee from other places. I used common sense. Though I am sorry for her for the extent of her burns. I had never heard that she actually got skin grafts so thanks for the link.
I saw the documentary on this case that had the photos. She had to have a pre-existing condition to sustain those types of burns. More than likely she's diabetic judging by her age and the appearance of the burns. I would say that her lawyers argued and obviously won to have that type of information excluded in the trial.
I've repeatedly burned myself with soup at temperatures around 190 and have barely been scaled much less burned. Actually just burned myself on the 600 degree pizza oven tonight and it still didn't have those results.

Magical Genius

Alexander J Luthor

That story was indeed bullshit. This rickety old woman was holding a full coffee between her legs. It's been YEARS since this happened and those cups are still flimsy as hell. Does this mean I get to sue product manufacturers if my thermos keeps my soup hot for only 5 hours instead of 6? No, it means I look for a better product that will do the job. And what's funny is the flimsy cup had NOTHING to do with it. She ADMITS to trying to pop open the full to top drink while they were still in the process of parking, and the car jolting her to a stop in part is what caused her to pop it off wrong and spill it. Has she sued her nephew, or whoever the ******** was driving her? NOPE. Because he's the tard who helped her make bank. Also, it was HER who wanted to settle for damages, but her greedy family thought THEY deserved more.

I live REALLY close to the Canadian border, and one place where I used to work had coffee and you know what Canadian visitors would do? Ask us to MICROWAVE IT. Fresh s**t that is hot to touch even when wiping it up with a wet rag, and they want it boiling lava hot. They deny it every time because the store doesn't want a lawsuit, and we're still not entirely sure if that's what they're aiming for, or if it's because every damn time they'll get a coffee, walk around the whole store with it, take a few sips, maybe even drink half, then toss it away because it got "too cold." emotion_facepalm You waste food because it got COLD? Why not only fill the cup to what you know you'll drink?
Thank you, I love that we always agree.
I'm required to serve our soup at around 170 and people still ask for us to make it hotter.
I've also spilled a gallon, yes a full gallon, of 180 degree soup all over myself with no burns. From what I remember their coffee was tempt at 190 when the family made the initial complaint.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Alura19
David2074

I followed the link from your linked story - that had a photo and more details. I found it interesting and more than I had heard on this case. However I still think the woman was more than "20% at fault" Your lap is not the best place to be taking the lid off a styrofoam cup full of hot liquid. I do find it interesting they keep (kept?) their coffee so hot, but then again the average pizza is served hot enough the cheese will blister your mouth. One uses common sense, and tests, takes a small bite / sip etc. I've had McDonalds coffee a number of times. Also very hot coffee from other places. I used common sense. Though I am sorry for her for the extent of her burns. I had never heard that she actually got skin grafts so thanks for the link.
I saw the documentary on this case that had the photos. She had to have a pre-existing condition to sustain those types of burns. More than likely she's diabetic judging by her age and the appearance of the burns. I would say that her lawyers argued and obviously won to have that type of information excluded in the trial.
I've repeatedly burned myself with soup at temperatures around 190 and have barely been scaled much less burned. Actually just burned myself on the 600 degree pizza oven tonight and it still didn't have those results.

Thanks for the info.
Juries tend to favor "the little guy"even when the little guy is largely to blame for whatever happened to them.

It's nice that our country tries to keep us safe but it seem like one result of that is many people want everyone else to be responsible for them. I kind of saw the contrast of that many times when I traveled the world in the navy. A classic example would be some tourist attraction cliff / high place with a scenic view. Country 'x' has maybe a small sign about 'watch for drop off' and depending on the situation maybe a small fence to get your attention. US has big fence with signs every 20 feet along the fence and more signs as you walk up to the area and warning posters on the wall next to the entrance tot he bathrooms and such. Not that that is so horrible but it's sort of a visual of the difference I often saw in attitude about using common sense on your own.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Alura19
Alexander J Luthor

That story was indeed bullshit. This rickety old woman was holding a full coffee between her legs. It's been YEARS since this happened and those cups are still flimsy as hell. Does this mean I get to sue product manufacturers if my thermos keeps my soup hot for only 5 hours instead of 6? No, it means I look for a better product that will do the job. And what's funny is the flimsy cup had NOTHING to do with it. She ADMITS to trying to pop open the full to top drink while they were still in the process of parking, and the car jolting her to a stop in part is what caused her to pop it off wrong and spill it. Has she sued her nephew, or whoever the ******** was driving her? NOPE. Because he's the tard who helped her make bank. Also, it was HER who wanted to settle for damages, but her greedy family thought THEY deserved more.

I live REALLY close to the Canadian border, and one place where I used to work had coffee and you know what Canadian visitors would do? Ask us to MICROWAVE IT. Fresh s**t that is hot to touch even when wiping it up with a wet rag, and they want it boiling lava hot. They deny it every time because the store doesn't want a lawsuit, and we're still not entirely sure if that's what they're aiming for, or if it's because every damn time they'll get a coffee, walk around the whole store with it, take a few sips, maybe even drink half, then toss it away because it got "too cold." emotion_facepalm You waste food because it got COLD? Why not only fill the cup to what you know you'll drink?
Thank you, I love that we always agree.
I'm required to serve our soup at around 170 and people still ask for us to make it hotter.
I've also spilled a gallon, yes a full gallon, of 180 degree soup all over myself with no burns. From what I remember their coffee was tempt at 190 when the family made the initial complaint.

Exactly. It may just be because I'm young and feisty, but the sink never gets hot enough for dishes, so I boil water and dump it in. I'm also smarter than the average bear and I'll let the dishes soak and wash them above water so as not to scald myself. I think the worst is actually little burns. I almost set my palm on the oven filament, but moved so it was just my pinky. It blistered a little and was one of the worst pains I've ever felt.

Next thing you know everything is "too cold" and restaurants are getting sued for creating a habitat for germs and bacteria.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff