Welcome to Gaia! ::

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
West Virginia is under Tijuana Water Restrictions.

NBCNews.com
West Virginia chemical spill prompts state of emergency, water ban in 9 counties
By Becky Bratu, Staff Writer, NBC News

West Virginia Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin declared a state of emergency Thursday in several counties because of a chemical spill into the Elk River.

The advisory was expanded at night to nine counties.

The state of emergency includes West Virginia American Water customers in Boone, Cabell, Clay, Jackson, Kanawha, Lincoln, Logan, Putnam, and Roane counties.

The advisory follows a notice from the West Virginia American Water Company that its water supply had become contaminated.

Once word got out about the governor's declaration, customers stripped store shelves in many areas of items such as bottled water, paper cups and bowls.

Residents were told not to drink the tap water, bathe in it or cook with the water and only use it for flushing and fire emergencies. Boiling it will not remove the chemicals.

“Right now, our priorities are our hospitals, nursing homes, and schools," Tomblin said in a statement. "I’ve been working with our National Guard and Office of Emergency Services in an effort to provide water and supplies through the county emergency services offices as quickly as possible.”

NBC affiliate WSAZ said the chemical leaked from a tank at Freedom Industries in Charleston. The leaked product is 4-methylcyclohexane methanol, which is used in the froth flotation process of coal washing and preparation, according to WSAZ.

Schools will be closed Friday in some of the affected counties.

West Virginia American Water did not provide a timeline for the clean-up process, said Jennifer Sayre, a spokeswoman for the Kanawha County Manager.

Sayre urged residents not to panic and rush out to grocery stores to purchase bottled water, as local officials were working with the Federal Emergency Management Agency to open water distribution centers.

Kanawha resident Mark Adkins told NBC News he thought local authorities gave the community plenty of time to prepare.

“We got plenty of bottled water,” he said.

The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources told WSAZ symptoms include: severe burning in throat, severe eye irritation, non-stop vomiting, trouble breathing or severe skin irritation such as skin blistering.

This is bad, but it's no time to panic. Remember the Wisdom of your Ancestors: For hundreds, even thousands of years, when the water wasn't safe to drink, Humanity instead turned to beer and wine. Right now, there's no bottled water to be found, so I'm drinking Micky's, and I've got a nice Chianti, a Moscato and a few bottles of Asti in reserve.

When in danger, or in doubt, drink the beer until you're out.

Questionable Borg

Keltoi Samurai

NBCNews.com
West Virginia chemical spill prompts state of emergency, water ban in 9 counties

West Virginia Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin declared a state of emergency Thursday in several counties because of a chemical spill into the Elk River.

The state of emergency includes West Virginia American Water customers in Boone, Cabell, Clay, Jackson, Kanawha, Lincoln, Logan, Putnam, and Roane counties.

The advisory follows a notice from the West Virginia American Water Company that its water supply had become contaminated.

Once word got out about the governor's declaration, customers stripped store shelves in many areas of items such as bottled water, paper cups and bowls.

Residents were told not to drink the tap water, bathe in it or cook with the water and only use it for flushing and fire emergencies. Boiling it will not remove the chemicals.

“Right now, our priorities are our hospitals, nursing homes, and schools," Tomblin said in a statement. "I’ve been working with our National Guard and Office of Emergency Services in an effort to provide water and supplies through the county emergency services offices as quickly as possible.”

NBC affiliate WSAZ said the chemical leaked from a tank at Freedom Industries in Charleston. The leaked product is 4-methylcyclohexane methanol, which is used in the froth flotation process of coal washing and preparation, according to WSAZ.

West Virginia American Water did not provide a timeline for the clean-up process, said Jennifer Sayre, a spokeswoman for the Kanawha County Manager.

Sayre urged residents not to panic and rush out to grocery stores to purchase bottled water, as local officials were working with the Federal Emergency Management Agency to open water distribution centers.

Kanawha resident Mark Adkins told NBC News he thought local authorities gave the community plenty of time to prepare.

The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources told WSAZ symptoms include: severe burning in throat, severe eye irritation, non-stop vomiting, trouble breathing or severe skin irritation such as skin blistering.

This is bad, but it's no time to panic. Remember the Wisdom of your Ancestors: For hundreds, even thousands of years, when the water wasn't safe to drink, Humanity instead turned to beer and wine. Right now, there's no bottled water to be found, so I'm drinking Micky's, and I've got a nice Chianti, a Moscato and a few bottles of Asti in reserve.

I don't live anywhere near West Virginia, so I'm fine. But drink enough beer...you'll dehydrate.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Red or white Moscato?

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Ratttking
Red or white Moscato?

White. Not a fan of sparkling reds, though as I'm sure you can tell, I do tend to lean toward Italy for my wine selections.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Keltoi Samurai
Ratttking
Red or white Moscato?

White. Not a fan of sparkling reds, though as I'm sure you can tell, I do tend to lean toward Italy for my wine selections.
Mmm, yum. Haven't had sparkling, but I've had still red Moscato and was not impressed. I don't generally like reds.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Mayor Gravity
Keltoi Samurai

NBCNews.com

I don't live anywhere near West Virginia, so I'm fine. But drink enough beer...you'll dehydrate.

Humanity lived off of beer and wine instead of water for centuries. I'm pretty sure it's safe to do so for a couple days while the water's not safe . . . though, feasibly, I could have gone with fruit juice, Capri Suns, Gatorade, or something else of that nature, since the whack-a-moles only went nuts on the bottled water, but where's the fun in that, y'know? I mean, what's the point of a disaster scenario if you can't have at least a little fun?

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Ratttking
Keltoi Samurai
Ratttking
Red or white Moscato?

Mmm, yum. Haven't had sparkling, but I've had still red Moscato and was not impressed. I don't generally like reds.

Moscatos are usually lightly sparkling, but the real star of the show is Martini and Rossi Asti. It's actually better than sparkling Italians more than ten times the price, and absolutely blows actual champagne out of the damn water.

I also have a bottle of Andre around somewhere, but Californian Champagne is just an abomination, a real insult to the palette. I'd rather drink the toxic tapsludge.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Keltoi Samurai
Ratttking
Keltoi Samurai
Ratttking
Red or white Moscato?

Moscatos are usually lightly sparkling, but the real star of the show is Martini and Rossi Asti. It's actually better than sparkling Italians more than ten times the price, and absolutely blows actual champagne out of the damn water.

I also have a bottle of Andre around somewhere, but Californian Champagne is just an abomination, a real insult to the palette. I'd rather drink the toxic tapsludge.
Oh my, I remember the TV ads for that Asti Spumante from the 70s. That was a pervasive jingle. Perhaps I 'll try a bottle when I become more solvent.
I had one Calfornia sparkling wine that was not bad at all, but the name escapes me at the moment. It was made by a respected French company, and they had the good taste to describe the wine as "methode Champenoise", possibly spelled with a diacritical mark or two, rather than Champagne, which properly is a region-based designation.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Ratttking
Keltoi Samurai
Ratttking
Keltoi Samurai
Ratttking
Red or white Moscato?

Oh my, I remember the TV ads for that Asti Spumante from the 70s. That was a pervasive jingle. Perhaps I 'll try a bottle when I become more solvent.
I had one Calfornia sparkling wine that was not bad at all, but the name escapes me at the moment. It was made by a respected French company, and they had the good taste to describe the wine as "methode Champenoise", possibly spelled with a diacritical mark or two, rather than Champagne, which properly is a region-based designation.

The Martini and Rossi is only about $15 a bottle.

If I thought you were local, I'd offer you come over for a drink.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Keltoi Samurai
Ratttking
Keltoi Samurai
Ratttking
Keltoi Samurai
Ratttking
Red or white Moscato?

The Martini and Rossi is only about $15 a bottle.

If I thought you were local, I'd offer you come over for a drink.
One of my roommates just got laid off, so money is going to be extremely tight for a bit.

Why, thank you. *toasts with shao xing*

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Big problem with that idea where the children are concerned. Ya know? Why juice or milk is wise. (putting that out there) Good for adults too, that do not drink.
In France, it is known the water is bad. Even the children drink wine - watered down and only during mid-day and evening meals.

And for cooking and washing of hands, ya wanna have some water.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Nyadriel
Big problem with that idea where the children are concerned. Ya know? Why juice or milk is wise. (putting that out there) Good for adults too, that do not drink.
In France, it is known the water is bad. Even the children drink wine - watered down and only during mid-day and evening meals.

Cleanliness is important, but not as important as having drinking water, at least in the short term.

As for children, the only problem with the French way of doing things is the legality problem. Honestly, though, this is the kind of tragedy I can't imagine the CPS letting go to waste, considering how corrupt they are here. I wouldn't be surprised to find that a new wave of confiscations follow on the heels of this, with parents declared unfit for not having reliable access to water ( they've done it before to families that dared to live downstream of a public water main that ruptured, causing a 36 hour service interruption ).

Juice and milk work, I guess, but what's the point of a chemical disaster if you can't use it as an excuse to get your liquid needs met the fun way?

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Keltoi Samurai
Nyadriel

Cleanliness is important, but not as important as having drinking water, at least in the short term.

As for children, the only problem with the French way of doing things is the legality problem. Honestly, though, this is the kind of tragedy I can't imagine the CPS letting go to waste, considering how corrupt they are here. I wouldn't be surprised to find that a new wave of confiscations follow on the heels of this, with parents declared unfit for not having reliable access to water ( they've done it before to families that dared to live downstream of a public water main that ruptured, causing a 36 hour service interruption ).

Juice and milk work, I guess, but what's the point of a chemical disaster if you can't use it as an excuse to get your liquid needs met the fun way?

Actually right now with the Flu going around (and the deadly virus at that) cleanliness is extremely important. The hands are the #1 fastest way of spreading illness with sneezing coming in at a close 2nd.

Fun is fun and people like you would obviously go for it. For myself, no thanks. I have a heart condition, ya know. It is not a wise decision for me.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Yuck.
I bet that is going to cost the company some fines.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
David2074
Yuck.
I bet that is going to cost the company some fines.

I also worry about the environmental consequences.

Wonder when the facility was inspected last?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff