Welcome to Gaia! ::

Time-traveling Senshi

Now maybe this will at least get the freaking Illinois House to quit dawdling and bring the issue to a damn vote. They've been delaying things since the last legislative period. I really don't know what in the heck is delaying things downstate in Springfield anymore. Just let the people in Boystown know if they can do more than apply for civil unions. I really don't get what the hang up is anymore as our measure has provisions in it that clearly state churches won't be legally made to marry same sex couples. They'll be given the choice to refuse to host the ceremony if they feel it goes against their teachings. Honestly, it gives people like Cardinal George what he wants and yet there's still all this delay. Now we have to wait for the six day fall veto session in October for any kind of vote to be made on this measure. We could have had a vote on May 31 but nooooo they had to dilly dally and let the session run out before it could even come to the floor.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Omnileech
Alexander J Luthor
Omnileech
Alexander J Luthor
I just love how California claims to be one of the most advanced and progressive states in our country, but then gays and equality come up and the entire structure of their society is shaken to the core. "OH NOES!! Gays want to be treated like everyone else! We can't have that happen, now can we!?"

The vote was close, and the many parts of California that aren't near the coast tend to run conservative. People like you seem to forget about that.

Oh, so anti-gay is a regional thing? I thought it was more of a "we do/don't like gays" sort of thing. Who'da thunk in the age of technology? We don't have a coast in my state and we don't have gay marriage, but Minnesota is right next to us and they do. Is it because they're the land of 10,000 lakes and hence have a lot of beach side property?

Seriously. Saying it's regional and not personal is just terrible...

I said the coastal areas of California tend to lean heavily pro-gay. I did not say that coastal areas are pro-gay because they happen to be near water.
I know, but I'm saying that's what it seemed like... are you wearing a Sarah Palin face?

Savage Tactician

22,040 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Olympian 200
Golden state becomes the rainbow state. emotion_awesome

Fashionable Bookworm

19,250 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Object of Affection 150
I feel like maybe the Supreme Court's reasoning isn't being made clear in the news stories. From what I read in the opinions:

-DOMA was struck down because the federal government was infringing on a right of the states. Specifically, the right of the state of New York to allow same-sex marriages. That's not a power invested in the feds by the Constitution, therefore they can't dip their oar in where it's not welcome and then mug 84 year old ladies. (Does anyone think the IRS would have enforced DOMA if Edith Windsor had been left a mobile home and a Datsun?) This is constitutionally sound; to be honest, I'm surprised Scalia had a hissy fit. He may not believe that homosexuals have a right to marry, but I've always thought he was a big supporter of states' rights.

-The Prop 8 challenge was struck down because the appellants didn't have the standing to be in court. Simply put, they didn't have any skin in the game. To participate in a lawsuit, you can't just be an interested bystander. When a citizen sues their state, they have to have been adversely affected by a law that state has passed. The state itself is the defendant - usually the attorney general, but sometimes the governor. That is the job of the attorney general and governor - to defend and uphold the laws of their state. However, California's attorney general declined to defend against the lawsuit challenging Prop 8. The case was taken to the U.S. Supreme Court with, essentially, interested bystanders standing in as defendants. Ummmm... really? Yeah, no, there was no way the court was allowing that.

Tipsy Streaker

8,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
To all those kids who stole a Prop 8 sign back in Middle School and taped it to the side of the school bus: ******** YOU. I stood up to you assholes, and pulled down that sign, despite knowing that you would target me. I saw those dirty looks, those sneers, and your lectures and hissings about God and my sins fell on deaf ears. You were slaves to your parents' and the media's ignorance, while I was before my time. Instead of relying on tradition to teach me, I thought with my own free will, and realized that no government should dictate who to love and who gets what rights. Now here I stand, almost an adult now, and things have come full circle. Guess whose side the law is on now? That's right. That little deed, a small statement I made years ago and was attacked for, was just one of a million that led up to this moment. I only hope that you have learned from your mistake by now, but even if you haven't, it's not like you lost anything.

And now that I've ranted, it's time to celebrate.
Omnileech
Alexander J Luthor
I just love how California claims to be one of the most advanced and progressive states in our country, but then gays and equality come up and the entire structure of their society is shaken to the core. "OH NOES!! Gays want to be treated like everyone else! We can't have that happen, now can we!?"

The vote was close, and the many parts of California that aren't near the coast tend to run conservative. People like you seem to forget about that.

Ugh...and I live in one of those towns. Really, really hate it here, but I might be moving to the coast soon, so yay!

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
I am now waiting for things related to Polygamy and incestuous marriage to follow suit.
xdivision_whitey
I am now waiting for things related to Polygamy and incestuous marriage to follow suit.
I find it funny Americans are focused on this so much when we're about to start ww3 in Syria... We need our priorities checked...
xdivision_whitey

There's really no reason for either to be illegal. They just need to be highly regulated so exploitation cannot occur often. Polygamous marriages should have to be approved by all the partners while incestuous marriages should be investigated thoroughly before the certificate is given.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Yet another 4 letter acronym defeated , and we did not have to shutdown Wikipedia to do it...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff