Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A fugitive foreign doctor accused of child rape in the U.S. has been allowed to stay in Britain - in case the Americans lock him up for too long.

Judges ruled it would be a breach of Tobias Bowen's human rights if they agreed to his extradition.

The 48-year-old fled New York for Africa four years ago while on $10,000 bail charged with two counts of raping a child.

Detectives working with the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force tracked his travels, which included a stay in Holland, and he was taken into custody at Heathrow when he visited Britain in April last year.

Westminster Magistrates' Court yesterday heard that he had since settled in Milton Keynes with his wife and young family – making Britain his 'safe haven'.

Daniel Sternberg, acting on behalf of the American authorities, told the court: 'Bowen is undoubtedly a fugitive from justice from the legal powers of the United States.

'He was granted bail for a huge amount of $10,000 and subsequently left the country in 2010.

'He was given bail and released and his record is not good, he has not attended court and travelled in Liberia and the Netherlands.'

But, in a judgment likely to spark outrage in America, magistrates ruled that Bowen's 'right to liberty and security' under the European Convention on Human Rights was at threat from his extradition.

District judge Margaret Rose rejected claims that putting him on a plane would breach either his right to a fair trial or his freedom of expression.

But she added: 'However, his Article 5 right to liberty and security would be at risk if he were to go back and convicted in New York state and face indefinite imprisonment, therefore he is discharged.

His defence lawyer, Malcolm Hawkes, said the reference to article 5 meant there was a fear his client would be placed in indefinite detention if he went back to the US.

The U.S. is expected to lodge an immediate appeal and Bowen was remanded in custody. If he is bailed at a future date, the surety is expected to be £10,000.

Bail conditions would include no access to his passport, no international travel and a 12 hour electronic curfew plus daily reports to a police station.

Bowen, a doctor who ran a public hospital in his native Liberia, was charged with rape and criminal sex acts in New York in March 2010.

Mr Hawkes said his client was of 'good character' and argued he should be allowed to return to his family.

He had 'lived openly' in Liberia but had now surrendered his Dutch and Liberian passports.

He added: 'The time has come to give my client the benefit of the doubt. It would be regrettable if the appeal against today's decision were to take some time and he were to spend a year in jail.

'His proper place is with his family and the UK is his safe haven.'

There has been controversy over a string of cases in which British citizens were extradited to the U.S..

They included Paul Dunham, 59, and Sandra Dunham, 58, who took a drug overdose the night before they were due to hand themselves in to U.S. marshals.

The couple admitted fraud last year after being eventually put on a plane.

Golf club president Christopher Tappin, 66, also lost his fight against extradition on charge of aiding and abetting the illegal export of defence articles. He later admitted the offence under a so-called plea bargain.

BS

Amateur Detective

35,390 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bookworm 100
How classy. Of course they will go out of their way to protect a child predator. The poor thing has obviously suffered enough, why would the big, bad meanies in the US want to actually punish the man for doing something as harmless as raping children? It's a violation of his human rights to imprison him for such a trifling matter!

No, seriously. ******** that guy. He should be in jail for a long, long time. ******** *****.

By the way, his name is Tobias Bowen. I like to be able to place a name on the object of my hatred. If nothing else, I want his named splashed on every corner of the earth so he can be at least judge harshly by the public.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
jamilee-nicole
How classy. Of course they will go out of their way to protect a child predator. The poor thing has obviously suffered enough, why would the big, bad meanies in the US want to actually punish the man for doing something as harmless as raping children? It's a violation of his human rights to imprison him for such a trifling matter!

No, seriously. ******** that guy. He should be in jail for a long, long time. ******** *****.

By the way, his name is Tobias Bowen. I like to be able to place a name on the object of my hatred. If nothing else, I want his named splashed on every corner of the earth so he can be at least judge harshly by the public.
You should post his pic too. Or maybe not, because I did a double take when I saw it and I wouldn't want Idris Elba to suffer because of the rather striking resemblance he bears to this criminal.

Also ******** the UK for aiding and abetting this fugitive.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Ratttking
jamilee-nicole

You should post his pic too. Or maybe not, because I did a double take when I saw it and I wouldn't want Idris Elba to suffer because of the rather striking resemblance he bears to this criminal.

Also ******** the UK for aiding and abetting this fugitive.
I had to look. You are right they do look similar....Very. The nose and ears are different.
Fugitives sadly do this all the time, flee to a different country in hopes that they won't be extradited and have to face justice for their offences. Is the United Kingdom of all nations going to say that as long as you're a citizen and facing too harsh a prison sentence in one country, that you can get away with raping a child!

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
ChiefDimir
Fugitives sadly do this all the time, flee to a different country in hopes that they won't be extradited and have to face justice for their offences. Is the United Kingdom of all nations going to say that as long as you're a citizen and facing too harsh a prison sentence in one country, that you can get away with raping a child!
Is he even a UK citizen? Article says he's from Liberia.
Ratttking
ChiefDimir
Is he even a UK citizen? Article says he's from Liberia.

Actually you're probably right. It seems that the UK hates life imprisonment sentences regardless of where you're from.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Quote:
A fugitive foreign doctor accused of child rape in the U.S. has been allowed to stay in Britain - in case the Americans lock him up for too long.

Hey England! I've got a gift for you!!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

England; where rapists can live happily, Muslims can rape and beat girls into prostitution because of "religion," people can murder outright and get three years and an apology. And people wonder what would have happened had we not fought for our freedom.

Professional Disser

35,840 Points
  • Nuclear Plant 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Super Jumper 500
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

England; where rapists can live happily, Muslims can rape and beat girls into prostitution because of "religion," people who use religion as an excuse to commit crimes, people can murder outright and get three years and an apology. And people wonder what would have happened had we not fought for our freedom.

fixed, because your wording sounded islamophobic as hell.

Fashionable Bookworm

19,250 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Object of Affection 150
I didn't think the European Convention on Human Rights protected people from having their liberty taken away if convicted of a crime after a fair trial. It was my understanding that they only objected to the death penalty, which was abolished in cases of child rape by Kennedy v Louisiana. What exactly is their problem?

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200
He should be in jail for his crimes and not be being protected by the U.K.

Divine Whisperer

31,725 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
maybe it's because they know how child molesters/rapists are treated in our jails... lol regardless, get'em over here smile

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
.(My Chemical Pancakes).
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

England; where rapists can live happily, Muslims can rape and beat girls into prostitution because of "religion," people who use religion as an excuse to commit crimes, people can murder outright and get three years and an apology. And people wonder what would have happened had we not fought for our freedom.

I'm sorry, do you not remember that story? I don't care if it's "Islamophobic" to bring up old news because I feel that deserves to be remembered, especially since that's the precedent the British courts set.

Professional Disser

35,840 Points
  • Nuclear Plant 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Super Jumper 500
Alexander J Luthor
.(My Chemical Pancakes).
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

I'm sorry, do you not remember that story? I don't care if it's "Islamophobic" to bring up old news because I feel that deserves to be remembered, especially since that's the precedent the British courts set.

People who commit heinous crimes that happen to be Muslim do NOT represent an entire religion/minority, and it most certainly DOES NOT MEAN the religion itself supports and practices violence. Everyone should refer the people in specific as criminals rather than generalizing and prepratating negative and incredibly racist stereotypes against an entire minority because of a horrible story. Especially since hate crimes against Muslims are common and disgustingly justified because society paints them as evil which is bullshit. Like all I'm saying is that you need to at least seperate Muslim and evil, and acknowledge that these people are CRIMINALS.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
.(My Chemical Pancakes).
Alexander J Luthor
.(My Chemical Pancakes).
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

People who commit heinous crimes that happen to be Muslim do NOT represent an entire religion/minority, and it most certainly DOES NOT MEAN the religion itself supports and practices violence. Everyone should refer the people in specific as criminals rather than generalizing and prepratating negative and incredibly racist stereotypes against an entire minority because of a horrible story. Especially since hate crimes against Muslims are common and disgustingly justified because society paints them as evil which is bullshit. Like all I'm saying is that you need to at least seperate Muslim and evil, and acknowledge that these people are CRIMINALS.

And therein lies the beauty of it all. The British government was so afraid of "discriminating" against the Muslim religion, since all of the men involved in the kidnapping/prostitution ring were Muslim, that all the men who had tricked these girls, beat them and raped them, merely got slaps on the wrist. It's a good lesson in why all religion should be taken with a helping of salt.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff