Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fruiti Tooti's Partner In Crime

Divine Darling

29,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Article here.

Las Cruces, NM – A woman and her boyfriend were arrested after police found an 8-year-old developmentally disabled girl was found locked in a cage in the couple’s home, The Las Cruces Sun-News is reporting.

On Monday, officers in Las Cruces, New Mexico checking on the girl’s welfare found her in the cage the size of a crib, and that she was left in it while the rest of the family went to a movie.

Authorities say 33-year-old Cindy Patriarchias of Las Cruces and 37-year-old Edmond Gonzales remained in custody Tuesday after being arrested Friday evening.

Patriarchias is charged with negligently causing child abuse, and Gonzales with negligently permitting child abuse. Court records indicate they appeared in court Monday but haven’t yet entered pleas. Read more at the The Las Cruces Sun-News.

On January 11, 2013, the father of Christian Choate was sentenced to 80 years in prison after keeping his son in a dog cage. Riley Choate kept Christian in a cage, in a mobile home, and both starved and beat him to death. Christian died at 13-years-old.

In another recent Virginia case, in 2011–also involving a mobile home–a young girl was locked in a cage. She was found eating herself to survive. The malnourished girl, around age 5, was discovered in a crib that was converted into a makeshift cage.

Police found her after they arrived at the home in Gloucester County to investigate a burglar. The bones of another child were also discovered.

Fashionable Hunter

I will not start getting angry in the middle of Business Law. Damnit.

Divine Darling

29,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
kakteed
I'm sorry about that. sweatdrop
Disabled Kid Cage Fights, only $10 to see a round!

Fashionable Hunter

Divinity in Motion
kakteed

Lol, I'm not blaming you. I'm the one who isn't paying attention and decided to click on something I knew would piss me off emotion_0A0

Divine Darling

29,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
kakteed
Divinity in Motion
kakteed

Lol, I'm not blaming you. I'm the one who isn't paying attention and decided to click on something I knew would piss me off emotion_0A0
I know. >u<
Hope you make it through your class. ^^

Fashionable Hunter

Divinity in Motion
kakteed
Divinity in Motion
kakteed

I know. >u<
Hope you make it through your class. ^^

Thanks >.<"

Profitable Gaian

8,600 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Conversationalist 100
"She was found eating herself to survive."

SOME. PEOPLE! SHOULD! NOT! BREED!

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I'm trying to figure out why the woman's live-in boyfriend was charged differently.
Thefruitsong
"She was found eating herself to survive."

SOME. PEOPLE! SHOULD! NOT! BREED!

They need a law and a test to make sure you are ready to have kids or not!

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Elraine Figarette
I'm trying to figure out why the woman's live-in boyfriend was charged differently.

Quite possibly he has not legal custody over the child and was not the one who put it in the cage so technically he did not abuse the child but he did ALLOW the child to be abused - hence the charge. (just a guess)

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
David2074
Elraine Figarette

Quite possibly he has not legal custody over the child and was not the one who put it in the cage so technically he did not abuse the child but he did ALLOW the child to be abused - hence the charge. (just a guess)

I guess. Though really, I would have thought that it'd be more like being an accomplice to a murder where you get the same punishment as if you'd actually done it. I find it hard to believe his participation was limited to failing to tell his girlfriend not to lock an eight-year-old in a cage, though. confused
the way people mistreat their kids disgusts me. This is as bad as this one episode of Dr. phil I saw about a girl that has been kept in a closet for years, sexually abused, and so malnourisd that she was the size of a five year old when she was only eight. her parents has six other kids and yet they only treat her like some trash.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Elraine Figarette
David2074
Elraine Figarette

I guess. Though really, I would have thought that it'd be more like being an accomplice to a murder where you get the same punishment as if you'd actually done it. I find it hard to believe his participation was limited to failing to tell his girlfriend not to lock an eight-year-old in a cage, though. confused

For all I know it might be the same punishment or close to it.
Keep in mind that regardless of what you suppose he may have done because he lived there, prosecutors have to charge based on what they have a reasonable expectation they can convict on. So if they say he DID the child abuse his lawyer is going to point out to the jury that
1. He denies doing so and the prosecutor (probably) has no proof that he did. and
2. He has no legal say in how the child is raised because it is not his child and he was just a roommate.
Chances are he would be found not guilty.
On the other hand by charging him with allowing it - his lawyer will have a much harder time convincing a jury he was unaware of how the girl was being treated and (obviously) there will be no record showing he reported it to authorities. The burden of proof is much lower and he will probably be convicted.

Also, if their investigation uncovers proof that he also committed abuse on his own they can likely tack that charge on after the fact.

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
David2074
Elraine Figarette
David2074
Elraine Figarette

For all I know it might be the same punishment or close to it.
Keep in mind that regardless of what you suppose he may have done because he lived there, prosecutors have to charge based on what they have a reasonable expectation they can convict on. So if they say he DID the child abuse his lawyer is going to point out to the jury that
1. He denies doing so and the prosecutor (probably) has no proof that he did. and
2. He has no legal say in how the child is raised because it is not his child and he was just a roommate.
Chances are he would be found not guilty.
On the other hand by charging him with allowing it - his lawyer will have a much harder time convincing a jury he was unaware of how the girl was being treated and (obviously) there will be no record showing he reported it to authorities. The burden of proof is much lower and he will probably be convicted.

Also, if their investigation uncovers proof that he also committed abuse on his own they can likely tack that charge on after the fact.
Fair enough.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces