Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
I want to add that certain fancy restaurants and also day spas have no-child policies. Their recommendation is to get a babysitter. Many places do not allow pets, only service animals, in them.

So basically, get a gunsitter.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Omnileech
You're the one who was up in arms about racist homophobes being free to discriminate if they run a business but when someone takes action on an issue you care about then it's unacceptable? You're a ******** hypocrite.

I think this is just his way of being butthurt that he didn't get his way on that one. He's trying to conflate racism, sexism, homophobia, etc to no-gun policies in stores. It's a majorly poor analogy, though.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Old Blue Collar Joe
kiironobara
Malee
Wow you really went reaching for this. He was trespassing in private businesses after being told to leave and was found guilty.

But... but, 2nd Amendment! Freedom! Liberty! 'Merica!

Ya know...usually I'd jump right in and say no, its private business, so they can tell you to GTFO and you have no choice but to GTFO, but...that isn't standing in court any longer, so therefor, if he wants to carry his firearm in there, then if they are open to the public, then ownership should have no right to tell him to get out or to refuse to serve him.
That's by damn discrimination and NO form can or should be tolerated.

Do you have any links to information about what you said that courts are no longer allowing businesses to treat there property as private?
I'm not saying you are necessarily wrong, it's just the first I had heard of that. In fact a few months ago (in WA state) when I asked a cop in a shopping center parking lot about a pickup that was blatantly throwing their trash out onto the parking lot (as in a whole bag of it plus some misc stuff) he said their was nothing he could do about it because it was private property unless the property owner (the Cabela's store we were in front of) filed a complaint.
And are those court cases you are talking about in WA state?

AFAIK stores can ask any person to leave their premises. For example there are often times when they know someone is shoplifting, sometimes even have it on tape but it is easier to ban them than to go through the expense and hassle of taking them to court. So they just inform they they are no longer allowed on their property.

As to the discrimination -
I don't see it as discrimination when it applies across the board to all people.
It's really the same idea as a store requiring shoes or banks requiring you to remove your hat and sunglasses before entering the lobby. If the policy applies to all customers equally it is not discrimination.

The flip side of course is that if a business makes decisions / policies that piss off enough people they lose customers.
If you feel the need to bring a gun with you the least they can do is be smart about it, you just have to know people are going to think "Oh s**t this guys packing!" need to be prepared for reactions of the public if he seen another guy walking down the road towards him with a gun in hand he would feel uneasy too! Smh

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
There are people who seem to love their guns far too much. Carrying them around like that and get ornery tends to freak people out. Guy should have produced ID and papers when asked instead of making himself appear to be a threat and a public nuisance.
It's okay to practice your 2nd Amendment Rights. But in doing so, you do NOT have the right to behave in a way that threatens the security of others.

It's not about your rights. It's how you use them.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Nyadriel
There are people who seem to love their guns far too much. Carrying them around like that and get ornery tends to freak people out. Guy should have produced ID and papers when asked instead of making himself appear to be a threat and a public nuisance.
It's okay to practice your 2nd Amendment Rights. But in doing so, you do NOT have the right to behave in a way that threatens the security of others.

I don't know about him walking into any businesses or private property like others have said. But otherwise the cops were pretty much in the wrong on that stop.

Unless they have reasonable suspicion that he is committing a crime they're not supposed to stop him solely for possessing a firearm and he isn't required by law to produce his papers on demand like that.

And Hernandez (b***h with the shotgun) is definitely acting out of line in that video.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
JamesWN
Nyadriel

I don't know about him walking into any businesses or private property like others have said. But otherwise the cops were pretty much in the wrong on that stop.

Unless they have reasonable suspicion that he is committing a crime they're not supposed to stop him solely for possessing a firearm and he isn't required by law to produce his papers on demand like that.

And Hernandez (b***h with the shotgun) is definitely acting out of line in that video.

They still can on the suspicion that he could commit a crime. Especially if someone made a complaint to police. Somebody gets nervous enough they might make a call. Or if he was told to leave and he gets rude and angry or something, someone may make a call out of fear.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Nyadriel
JamesWN
Nyadriel

They still can on the suspicion that he could commit a crime. Especially if someone made a complaint to police. Somebody gets nervous enough they might make a call. Or if he was told to leave and he gets rude and angry or something, someone may make a call out of fear.

NOT. GOOD. ENOUGH. Do I really have to pull up court cases and plaster them all over here?

Not to mention the end of the video he's trying to get to his car and then not only do they prevent him from doing so but try to drop a trespassing charge when they're the ones preventing him from leaving? Yeah. No.
kiironobara
Old Blue Collar Joe
kiironobara
Old Blue Collar Joe
kiironobara
Malee
Wow you really went reaching for this. He was trespassing in private businesses after being told to leave and was found guilty.

Ya know...usually I'd jump right in and say no, its private business, so they can tell you to GTFO and you have no choice but to GTFO, but...that isn't standing in court any longer, so therefor, if he wants to carry his firearm in there, then if they are open to the public, then ownership should have no right to tell him to get out or to refuse to serve him.

He could leave his gun in his car. It is not physically attached to him. No one can leave their race or sexuality elsewhere.

That's a cop out. Either no one can discriminate or anyone can. This pick and choose doesn't work.

A business can refuse service if one is wearing no shirt or no shoes. They can also refuse service if one is carrying a rifle.

It's not discrimination to be gun-free.

No shirt and no shoes is allowed as a hygiene measure. Nothing more.
Omnileech
Old Blue Collar Joe
kiironobara
Old Blue Collar Joe
kiironobara

He could leave his gun in his car. It is not physically attached to him. No one can leave their race or sexuality elsewhere.

That's a cop out. Either no one can discriminate or anyone can. This pick and choose doesn't work.

You're the one who was up in arms about racist homophobes being free to discriminate if they run a business but when someone takes action on an issue you care about then it's unacceptable? You're a ******** hypocrite.

Quote:
Either no one can discriminate or anyone can.

A dishonest hypocrite. But do tell how there is no difference between "no non-whites allowed" and "don't open carry in my store"

Show me a modern non-whites allowed sign, please. You keep bringing up these points that aren't even valid nor relevant and act like it has bearing.
Nyadriel
JamesWN
Nyadriel

Thought police? Really? If anything, they should be charged with kidnapping and unlawful detainment.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
JamesWN
Nyadriel
JamesWN
Nyadriel

NOT. GOOD. ENOUGH. Do I really have to pull up court cases and plaster them all over here?

Not to mention the end of the video he's trying to get to his car and then not only do they prevent him from doing so but try to drop a trespassing charge when they're the ones preventing him from leaving? Yeah. No.

He was charged with trespassing for refusing to leave a Burgerville resturant and the fireworks standing after being asked to leave. Sounds like multiple calls to police were made when he both refused to leave and was just standing in the parking lot watching people. It appears he was just looking to make a point and bait the cops into arresting him. local news story about it.
Malee
JamesWN
Nyadriel
JamesWN
Nyadriel

He was charged with trespassing for refusing to leave a Burgerville resturant and the fireworks standing after being asked to leave. Sounds like multiple calls to police were made when he both refused to leave and was just standing in the parking lot watching people. It appears he was just looking to make a point and bait the cops into arresting him. local news story about it.

Trespassing with a weapon capable of producing bodily harm? That is a bullshit charge if ever there was one. ANYTHING in your hands can produce bodily harm.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Malee
JamesWN
Nyadriel
JamesWN
Nyadriel

Then they would have cause to at least arrest him. Otherwise that stop shown would be totally in the wrong.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
Malee
JamesWN
Nyadriel
JamesWN

Trespassing with a weapon capable of producing bodily harm? That is a bullshit charge if ever there was one. ANYTHING in your hands can produce bodily harm.

Quote:
Legal gun owners in Washington and Oregon can carry a rifle on their shoulder or a pistol in a visible holster without a special permit on public property. If you’re on private property, the owner makes the rules and can ask you to leave.

He violated the law when he went into the businesses. If he'd kept his a** on the sidewalk, he couldn't have been arrested.

Additionally, from the context of the article, he didn't have a conceal carry permit or it would not have violated the rules of the owner of the private parking lot in which he was actually arrested.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff