Welcome to Gaia! ::

Moonlight Gekko

7,900 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
Quote:
Link to Video

Large US retail companies will be forced to pay their workers at least 50 percent more than the minimum wage.

It is part of a bill that has been approved in Washington .

But retail giant Walmart has responded by threatening to scrap plans for three new stores.

Al Jazeera's Kimberly Halkett reports from Washington, DC.

Quote:
Text Version

Washington, D.C., politicians have moved forward with plans to raise the local minimum wage for employees at major retailers, despite opposition from retail behemoth Wal-Mart.

The Washington, D.C., city council voted Wednesday to pass a law in the capitol city that would require big-box stores to pay their employees 50 percent more than the existing district minimum wage.

Called the "Large Retailer Accountability Act of 2013," the Act, which still needs to be signed by D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray, would require retailers with more than $1 billion in annual revenues and indoor retail premises of 75,000 square feet or more, to pay employees making less than $50,000 a year at least $12.50 per hour. Currently, the minimum wage in D.C. is $8.25 per hour.

The vote came the day after Wal-Mart threatened to pull back plans to open stores in D.C. if the city council passed the act. In an op-ed published in the Washington Post on Tuesday, Wal-Mart's general manager for the U.S., Alex Barron, who is responsible for all planned stores in the D.C. region, said that the D.C. city council would give the retailer no choice but to backtrack on its plans if city leaders passed the law. Wal-Mart had plans to open six stores in the metro area, and three are currently under construction.

"Unfortunately, the district may soon adopt legislation that discriminates against business and threatens to undo all that we have accomplished together," Barron wrote. "From day one, we have said that this legislation is arbitrary and discriminatory and that it discourages investment in Washington."

Related: Wal-Mart Offers Entrepreneurs a Chance to Compete for Shelf Space

In the wake of the vote, Wal-Mart confirms that it will not pursue three of its planned D.C. stores and will review the implications on the three stores already under construction, says Steven V. Restivo, senior director of communications at Wal-Mart. “This was a difficult decision for us and unfortunate news for most D.C. residents, but the council has forced our hand,” says Restivo.

The city council says that the cost of living in D.C. is 42 percent higher than the national average, and local workers need more money to maintain a decent standard of living. "District residents at the lowest end of the wage spectrum find it increasingly difficult to earn a living," the council says in a background briefing on the bill. What's more, the council says that low-wage workers are likely to spend the money they make in their local economy, which would be a boon to the region.

In a strongly worded statement, the National Retail Federation has expressed its disapproval of the ruling. "The Large Retailer Accountability Act is a flawed and unwarranted bill and a prime example of why the district is consistently ranked as one of the worst places to do business in the nation," says David French, the senior vice president of government relations at the Washington, D.C.-based advocacy organization. "It is also a prime indicator as to why unemployment remains consistently high for district residents even as it improves in surrounding jurisdictions."

Keep it clean guys.

Greedy Drake

Oh no! Not the 25 hr a week no benefits desperate people-s**t jobs, say it ain't so!
Also I don't think the minimum wage increase actually benefits most people, as rents/other basics go up with them (take a look at California's cost of living vs. say like Mississippi) So it's a temporary boost to people making minimum wage, sucks for anyone making a bit more then that.

Frozen Bard

18,150 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Team Carl 200
  • Team Devin 200
I prefer that there be less Walmarts anyway.

Ferocious Browser

What blackmailing little shits. I really wish their whole store would just die. They can take the minimal hit to their bottom line, they are not hurting for cash or profits considering where there products come from.

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
Quote:
scrap plans for three new stores.

OMG, no! That means the people who were going to shop at those stores might have to drive 15 minutes away instead to reach the next one! rolleyes

Don't shop at Hellmart, they abuse their employees.

Quote:
Keep it clean guys.

WTF does that even mean?

Loyal Exhibitionist

Interesting. I can somewhat see their logic behind it.

If Washington is making large retail stores pay their employees 50% more, that's going to be quite a hit on their budget and they would have to scrap making more stores - or at the worst, close down a couple.

However, it's a different story if they're acting immature about it. "Oh noes we gotta pay more! FINE! We won't make any more stores! TAKE THAT!!".

Quote:
Keep it clean guys.

Huh. You don't normally see that in topics in In The News nowadays.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
what DC morons don't get is that when you increase minium wage it only applies to new comers. I worked there for now 6 years and won't see a 50 percent increase. It won't be to long before I make the same pay as the damn new comers.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The money has to come from somewhere. What did they think was gonna happen? stare
xdivision_whitey
what DC morons don't get is that when you increase minium wage it only applies to new comers. I worked there for now 6 years and won't see a 50 percent increase. It won't be to long before I make the same pay as the damn new comers.

Since when does a minimum wage increase only apply to new hires? I'm pretty sure that's not true and if you've been told that so your employer doesn't need to give you a raise you should report it.
Jinglybell
Oh no! Not the 25 hr a week no benefits desperate people-s**t jobs, say it ain't so!
Also I don't think the minimum wage increase actually benefits most people, as rents/other basics go up with them (take a look at California's cost of living vs. say like Mississippi) So it's a temporary boost to people making minimum wage, sucks for anyone making a bit more then that.

Are you sure it's that higher min wage increases cost of living and not that a higher cost of living means there must be a higher min wage?

Greedy Drake

Mei tsuki7
Jinglybell

Are you sure it's that higher min wage increases cost of living and not that a higher cost of living means there must be a higher min wage?

When I worked 2 shitty minimum wage jobs during the bush era Cali raised the wages from 6.75 in dec 31 2006 to 8.00 in jan 1st 2008. Everything went up within 3 months (the min wage went from 6.75 to like 7.25 or something for the 2006-2007 year). I saw this first hand as one of the jobs was at a restaurant and she told me she had to raise prices to pay for pay increases. The rise of prices was also further exacerbated by the high cost of gas during the bush era (5 dollars a gallon I think in Cal).
Jinglybell
Mei tsuki7
Jinglybell

When I worked 2 shitty minimum wage jobs during the bush era Cali raised the wages from 6.75 in dec 31 2006 to 8.00 in jan 1st 2008. Everything went up within 3 months (the min wage went from 6.75 to like 7.25 or something for the 2006-2007 year). I saw this first hand as one of the jobs was at a restaurant and she told me she had to raise prices to pay for pay increases. The rise of prices was also further exacerbated by the high cost of gas during the bush era (5 dollars a gallon I think in Cal).

Hmmm. Thinking more I would actually say it was both. What I mean is that other things also cause a higher cost of living which would mean a higher min wage was needed but that higher min wage can also contribute to a higher cost of living. Does that make sense? It's kind of a cycle but with other things contributing as well.

Greedy Drake

Mei tsuki7
Jinglybell
Mei tsuki7
Jinglybell

Hmmm. Thinking more I would actually say it was both. What I mean is that other things also cause a higher cost of living which would mean a higher min wage was needed but that higher min wage can also contribute to a higher cost of living. Does that make sense? It's kind of a cycle but with other things contributing as well.

Yes it does make sense, im just saying that raising it will probably not be the magical fix they think it will be.
Jinglybell
Mei tsuki7
Jinglybell
Mei tsuki7
Jinglybell

Yes it does make sense, im just saying that raising it will probably not be the magical fix they think it will be.

If they think that they're idiots. The only magical fix would be truly magical in that CEOs and other Executives would suddenly realize that them getting paid 200x what their employees get paid is greedy and bad and that they shouldn't do it anymore and therefore lowering their wage and increasing their employees wages. That would take a wish told to a fairy godmother though since greed is now a part of the American way of life.

Greedy Drake

Mei tsuki7
Jinglybell
Mei tsuki7
Jinglybell
Mei tsuki7
Jinglybell

If they think that they're idiots. The only magical fix would be truly magical in that CEOs and other Executives would suddenly realize that them getting paid 200x what their employees get paid is greedy and bad and that they shouldn't do it anymore and therefore lowering their wage and increasing their employees wages. That would take a wish told to a fairy godmother though since greed is now a part of the American way of life.

Yea its too bad I think I read somewhere that the ceo in USA makes like 354x the regular worker does, while in japan the average ceo makes like 67x (still pretty high but more reasonable) or something. We completely over compensate are CEOs, but if you point that out then everyone assumes we're greedy for wanting a living wage.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff