Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

I will NOT post any photos here because the things are totally warped and incredibly horrible to look at. If you must see them, follow the link. But you have been warned.

Quote:
Dawn of the Ted: Artist turns cute cuddly toys into gruesome zombies that would be sure to to keep you awake at night

If you are looking for that perfect Valentine's Day present then one of these could be just the ticket - if you want to make your other half run for the hills, that is.

These gruesome teddy bears, called the 'Undead Teds', have been selling like hot cakes in the run up to February 14th.

So many people have placed orders for a £59 Valentine's Day teddy ripping its bleeding heart out that their British creator, artist Phillip Blackman, says he has sold out.

Mr Blackman, who lives with his fiancée and two-year-old son in the Suffolk countryside, describes his gory creations as 'repurposed soft toys transformed into fluffy, bloody horrors to keep you awake at night'.

The 45-year-old makes the zombie teddy bears by transforming old toys using film-standard special effects make-up.

He said: 'I hit on the idea of making zombie teddy-bears - the inspiration came from a rather obscure in-joke between my partner and I.

'She had a terrible cold at the time and we'd been talking about a gift for a friend's baby. With a very stuffy nose "teddy-bear" kept coming out as "deady-bear", and we joked about zombie teddies that creep from under your bed at night to feast on your brains while you sleep.'

Mr Blackman initially tried sewing bones and organs out of felt, but felt his sewing skills weren't up to it.

Having long been a fan of film director George A Romero, creator of zombie film Night of the Living Dead, and with training in theatrical and special effects make-up, he decided to use the same techniques on teddies.

He bought some old bears on eBay, but when his partner became pregnant and they moved house, the artist forgot all about the teddy bears in the chaos of a new family.

But when he was sorting through his son's soft toys deciding what to take to the charity shop, he came across the old bears he'd bought and decided to have a go at transforming them.

He said: 'I individually hand-sculpt the bones, teeth and other organs from polymer clay or latex, then open the bear's carcass, scoop out as necessary and glue the bones into place.'

Some designs, including the Valentine Undead Ted, have a strong wire frame retrofitted to ensure they keep their pose and don't fall over.

'The bones, teeth and other organs are individually hand-sculpted from polymer clay or latex, the bear's carcass is then opened, scooped out as necessary and the bones glued in place.
Mr Blackman then paints the bears and adds a wet-look varnish to blood and bones for extra realism.

He said: 'Each UndeadTed takes in excess of eight hours to make, not including the time it takes for glue, paint and varnish to dry, and I price them individually depending on size, complexity, materials used and time taken.

'They've all been great fun to make but of all the ones I've made so far, my favourites are the Valentine ones, holding their torn-out hearts aloft as a grisly gift to their lovers. Horrible.'

While the appeal of the gory bears may prove elusive to many of us, their appeal for others is obviously strong.

Mr Blackman's online Etsy store has sold out, while his undeadteds.tumblr.org website has attracted comments from enthusiastic fans, all of them female.

One woman asks if he ships to the US, adding: 'I am dying to get one of your amazing creations', while another exclaims: 'These are perfect for Valentine's Day!'

Mr Blackman told Mail Online: 'Most of those who are interested in the bears are 20-somethings, both men and women, and lots of people have been buying them as Valentine's presents.

'The demand is astonishing - as soon as I make them, they're gone. I put up three new bears on my website this week and they were all sold within 90 seconds.'

Fans of the bears can also send in their own teddies and specific injuries, and Mr Blackman will customise them according to their requests.
Ummmmmm wow, Teddy bears are supposed to be cute not gory.

But, I have a feeling my dad will want one of these. rofl

Witty Phantom

That looks like the Teddy I sacrificed to the demons when I was playing Hide-and-Seek with myself.

Cuddly Puppy

I kind of like them. ninja
They're cool. 3nodding
Plus I could use them to scare people. 4laugh

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
They're very cool, but personally I'd rather have a more traditional teddy bear.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Those are nasty.
They are creative in a macabre kind of way but I have no idea what I would do with one. I wouldn't even give something like that to my ex wife.

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Those are cool. *u*
Happy valentines day XD

Destructive Mage

15,275 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I would date the boy who would buy me something like that. emotion_kirakira

Undead Enchantress

Cutest things ever! emotion_kirakira emotion_bigheart 4laugh whee heart

Shameless Hoarder

22,750 Points
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • I Voted! 25
Part of me wants to be horribly offended with what he's done to these bears... but the other parts of me, including my morbid curiosity, would love to have one. xd

I would totally get one and carry it around in public JUST to see what kind of reactions I would get. 8D

Kawaii Shoujo

Those bears just freaked me right out... and I didn't go past partially seeing the first two pictures.

Fashionable Hunter

They can't be that bad.

*clicks link*

I regret my decision.
Well he's just an artist, yes too bad now those teddy bears are ruined but there's many more where that came from.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
If I woke up with that in my bed.... ; m ;

Quotable Noob

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100
FUNNY FOR ADULTS BUT DON'T LET THE TODDLERS SEE THEM CAUSE THEY'LL NEVER SLEEP WITH A TEDDY BEAR AGAIN. SO MUCH FOR A PLEASANT CHILDHOOD BUT LOL FOR THE ADULTS. NOW DOES THAT SEEM FAIR?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff