Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
If you thought it smelled a bit like acetone and bullshit, you were right. That innovative nail polish that promised to detect date rape drugs has been the subject of both praise and scrutiny over the last week, but this tidbit should change the tenor of the conversation a bit: an exasperated-sounding pharmaceutical expert claims that it won't actually work.

Animal New York's "Backdoor Pharmacist" called the nail polish — and other such date rape drug detecting products like coasters, napkins, and straws — items that "exist in a fantasy world of stranger danger pill-packing predators and irresponsible victims." Way harsh, Tai.

The problem, BP explains, is twofold. First of all, the so-called date rape detectors have proven in laboratory tests to be too sensitive, sometimes changing color when encountering such scary rape-enabling substances as cow milk. In another trial, similar products only caught the presence of GHB two out of three times.

But the biggest problem is that there are simply too many date rape drugs out there for a "date rape drug detector" to be anything more than a silly pipe dream.

S/he writes,

Even if these kits worked and were 100% reliable, this is a losing battle. Wikipedia lists over 100 benzodiazepines like Xanax and Rohypnol including phenazepam (which can cause you to black out for days) and etizolam. Going beyond benzos adds hundreds more sedatives/hypnotics like Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and Unisom Sleep Tabs (doxylamine) which can be bought over the counter.

And we can't forget the stimulants like cocaine and meth, the empathogens like MDMA or ecstasy, non-benzo drugs like Ambien, which I can personally attest to producing blackouts, and opioids like Vicodin (hydrocodone) and Percocet (oxycodone). You can create a universal testing kit, and trudge off to each bar with a bag filled with highly corrosive sulphuric acid reagents, an arsenal of test strips, microplates, pipettors, and for every single one of your drinks, use up a bunch of pipettor tips in order to sample. Even that suffers from a lack of imagination.

Date Rape Drug Detecting Nail Polish Will Not Possibly Work

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
If you want to prevent yourself from consuming date rape drugs at all, some of the best solutions involve bringing your own, preferably bottled, drink to a party, keeping a hand over the top of your beverage, and getting a new drink in the event that you had to leave yours unattended in the first place for whatever reason. Of course, these are best utilized at parties, and I have no clue what you could possibly do in other situations where things like this are possible.

All-in-all, it's just a matter of being careful.

Profitable Smoker

I imagine a situation where you put your finger in your drink, only to discover that your nail polish is changing color and your date is trying to drug you, would be incredibly awkward and uncomfortable.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Honey of the South
If you want to prevent yourself from consuming date rape drugs at all, some of the best solutions involve bringing your own, preferably bottled, drink to a party, keeping a hand over the top of your beverage, and getting a new drink in the event that you had to leave yours unattended in the first place for whatever reason. Of course, these are best utilized at parties, and I have no clue what you could possibly do in other situations where things like this are possible.

All-in-all, it's just a matter of being careful.
at a bar buy beer only by the bottle, never put it in a glass and never leave your bottle unattended.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
There is another reason why it wont work. It's a pill, right? So when pill dissolves, it pretty much remains at the bottom of the glass unless you stir such drink. Am I right? Who's gonna stick - or even think to stick, their whole entire finger to the bottom of the glass?

Bibliophile

I thought it sounded too good to be true for the very reason listed: There are SO many drugs that it's impossible to find one method that will detect them all.

The best way to protect yourself is to simply never keep your drink unattended and never let someone else get your drink. And bring some friends who will prevent you from going anywhere alone or with random people.

With a bit of common sense and care we wouldn't need a detector anyway.

Tipsy Smoker

Yes, yes...victim blaming...

Tiny Tycoon

18,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Honey of the South
...some of the best solutions involve bringing your own, preferably bottled, drink to a party, keeping a hand over the top of your beverage, and getting a new drink in the event that you had to leave yours unattended in the first place for whatever reason.

These are the things my mother, and hopefully your parents as well,drilled into my head before she left to a party. You can't trust anyone when you're out (not even the bartender sometimes) so you gotta bring your own goods.

Magnetic Phantom

Nyadriel
There is another reason why it wont work. It's a pill, right? So when pill dissolves, it pretty much remains at the bottom of the glass unless you stir such drink. Am I right? Who's gonna stick - or even think to stick, their whole entire finger to the bottom of the glass?

At least some of them are, or can be, liquid. GHB (γ-Hydroxybutyric acid) for example is known as liquid ecstasy.
People could also dissolve the pills in some liquid prior to adding them to their victim's drink, I suppose.

I second the "bring friends" suggestion other people made.

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
c v i t l i n
I imagine a situation where you put your finger in your drink, only to discover that your nail polish is changing color and your date is trying to drug you, would be incredibly awkward and uncomfortable.

Not really. Excuse yourself to the bathroom and call the police.

We might see this sort of crime go down if we made it a death penalty crime to tamper with people's food with the intent of committing a felony (rape).

recklingturtle's Husband

Tiny Explorer

8,750 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Millionaire 200
c v i t l i n

Nah, what you do is either swap the drink, or pretend to take a sip, comment about how it tastes, and try to get the guy to drink it. You may get a confession and it's fun to see them squirm. this tactic will also allow you to get a good look at him, so you can describe him to police. Maybe even a picture.

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
Chahklet

i like your avi <3

Tipsy Smoker

Idol Syndrome
Chahklet