Welcome to Gaia! ::

This weekend in Illinois, tumblr users came together to celebrate their net connectivity at Dash Con and were severely met with disappointment.

After the first day, the convention managers brought together all the con goers asking to raise 17 THOUSAND dollars in order to pay the venue to continue the convention.

Their are other reports of mismanagement of funds, staff abuse, and breaks of contract agreements, as well as possible corruption of minors attending over-aged panels with mature subject matter.

Reports are that Dash promised to pay for guests Welcome to Nightvale's travel, appearence fees, as well as hotel stay. Dash broke their contract and refused to pay, and Nightvale refused to appear on stage.

Highlighted rumours:

*One TV for the arcade room.
*Firing volunteer fundraisers last minute so they would not have to pay for hotel rooms.
*Bullying of volunteers
*Offering an extra hour in a small 6 person ball pitt to disappointed Con goers.
*allowing under agers into a bdsm panel
* A Possible law suit with on of the guests

More information can be found here: DashCon 2014 descends into Chaos

Wintry Dragon

Will the money now go to the lawyers?

Excitable Strawberry

That's too bad. It's not that hard to organize a con -- I see some real scam artist material just from reading that article. I don't think that's a result of inexperience.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
*laughing into infinity* Oh lord, the first hand accounts I've been reading about this have touted it to be a sad, sad thing. Not even the scamming part, though that sucks. Just...the 'video game room' with it's one tv and shitty console and the 'ball pit' which is a $30 inflatable kiddy pool with balls thrown in it that only seats two people comfortably at most. And the bouncy castle (because that totally makes everyone overlook the fact that you promised Welcome To Nightvale and ******** up so badly that not only did you not deliver, you insulted them on top of everything else). And the vendors? Official merchandise maybe? No. Just homemade pins and lint babies that people are selling as 'felt plushies". Beautiful. Beautiful. From the way people talk about it, it is exactly as I envisioned it would be, and I don't know if I should feel sad about that or not. Gonna be real fun to hear how people are gonna get their money back for this, since they could argue the money was donated and they can do as they wish with the funds. Hey, lots of religious organizations lie about why they need money, get donations, then don't do what they said they'd do with the money and they get away with that s**t all the time. Why not tumblr? ********, idiots. You talk that s**t out with professional con makers first, then work up people putting money in just to make it happen (AND GET SOME PROOF OF SALE THERE), then you buy tickets. You don't blindly throw your money at strangers and expect a great result when they don't know s**t about what they are doing and certainly are professionals in the field.

Partying Reveler

Basically a bunch of Gullible children got scammed out of there money by a bunch of older teenager who wanted some money to buy some drugs and a used Honda.

That last part i'm joking, but honestly you know they are laughing there way to the bank. There are some real gullible idiots on Tumblr who will just believe anything that is said to them.

Superpowered Werewolf

20,340 Points
  • nuGen Staff 25
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Galactic Domination 200
Neon Wasteland
Basically a bunch of Gullible children got scammed out of there money by a bunch of older teenager who wanted some money to buy some drugs and a used Honda.

That last part i'm joking, but honestly you know they are laughing there way to the bank. There are some real gullible idiots on Tumblr who will just believe anything that is said to them.

Because the internet would never lie right?

Partying Reveler

powerdive54
Neon Wasteland

Because the internet would never lie right?

No not the internet. It's full of honest people, I'm sure that girl you gave 20 bucks to really is struggling to pay her electricity. Not gonna lie I actually saw a Post like that , people were signal boosting it and telling people " i judge you if you no reblog this hur hur ". I honestly am so tempted to try my luck and just come up with the saddest sob story and see how much money I can get.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
This is clearly 4Chan's fault, like everything else that Tumblr users screw up.

recklingturtle's Husband

Tiny Explorer

8,750 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Millionaire 200
Keltoi Samurai
This is clearly 4Chan's fault, like everything else that Tumblr users screw up.

nah, that's just what the admins are saying- I wouldn't trust them. 4chan knows when to stop and let someone sink their own ship.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
xXFurygeistXx
*laughing into infinity* Oh lord, the first hand accounts I've been reading about this have touted it to be a sad, sad thing. Not even the scamming part, though that sucks. Just...the 'video game room' with it's one tv and shitty console and the 'ball pit' which is a $30 inflatable kiddy pool with balls thrown in it that only seats two people comfortably at most. And the bouncy castle (because that totally makes everyone overlook the fact that you promised Welcome To Nightvale and ******** up so badly that not only did you not deliver, you insulted them on top of everything else). And the vendors? Official merchandise maybe? No. Just homemade pins and lint babies that people are selling as 'felt plushies". Beautiful. Beautiful. From the way people talk about it, it is exactly as I envisioned it would be, and I don't know if I should feel sad about that or not. Gonna be real fun to hear how people are gonna get their money back for this, since they could argue the money was donated and they can do as they wish with the funds. Hey, lots of religious organizations lie about why they need money, get donations, then don't do what they said they'd do with the money and they get away with that s**t all the time. Why not tumblr? ********, idiots. You talk that s**t out with professional con makers first, then work up people putting money in just to make it happen (AND GET SOME PROOF OF SALE THERE), then you buy tickets. You don't blindly throw your money at strangers and expect a great result when they don't know s**t about what they are doing and certainly are professionals in the field.

Yeah, no money back.
On their web site:
"By purchasing a badge, you are agreeing to our Convention Rules and Policies.
Please make note, DashCon does not refund badges for any reason. "

Apparently 'fraud' is "any reason"

“We are not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Tumblr,” reads DashCon’s Tumblr account.

"Thank GOD!!, said everyone who is affiliated with Tumblr. smile

I laughed at your comments.
Then I went and read the whole article and laughed until I had tears.
I saw the photo of the ball pit and I thought, "That's going to become a meme". Then farther down in the article I read it had already become one.
Then I started reading some of the spin off links like -
http://augustinesycamore.tumblr.com/post/91592502875/here-goes-i-decided-to-write-up-my-personal

Just... wow.
Somewhere in the history of time there was probably a bigger convention fail but if so I don't know about it.
Lintra
This weekend in Illinois, tumblr users came together to celebrate their net connectivity at Dash Con and were severely met with disappointment.

After the first day, the convention managers brought together all the con goers asking to raise 17 THOUSAND dollars in order to pay the venue to continue the convention.

Their are other reports of mismanagement of funds, staff abuse, and breaks of contract agreements, as well as possible corruption of minors attending over-aged panels with mature subject matter.

Reports are that Dash promised to pay for guests Welcome to Nightvale's travel, appearence fees, as well as hotel stay. Dash broke their contract and refused to pay, and Nightvale refused to appear on stage.

Highlighted rumours:

*One TV for the arcade room.
*Firing volunteer fundraisers last minute so they would not have to pay for hotel rooms.
*Bullying of volunteers
*Offering an extra hour in a small 6 person ball pitt to disappointed Con goers.
*allowing under agers into a bdsm panel
* A Possible law suit with on of the guests

More information can be found here: DashCon 2014 descends into Chaos

That's awful to the Dash Con Attendees! sad Hope Dash Con Get back on track in the future!
You forgot to post the fact they may be illegally operating in Illinois since their LLC is only registered in Ohio.
Mei tsuki7
You forgot to post the fact they may be illegally operating in Illinois since their LLC is only registered in Ohio.

A current article has reports from former staffers that it may be that the organizers were just terribly inept.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff