jellybeantoes's Partner

Angelic Star

15,600 Points
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Party Animal 100
sources

Quote:
Watch out, cucumber fans: your favorite raw vegetable has been tied to an outbreak of salmonella.

Marler Blog reported on Thursday that 73 people in 18 states have contracted salmonellosis after eating cucumbers imported from Mexico over the past several months. Twenty-eight of those who have fallen ill live in California. Nearly a third have been hospitalized. None have died.

The FDA placed an "Import Alert" on cucumbers from Daniel Cardenas Izabal and Miracle Greenhouse, two suppliers in Culiacan, the largest city in the Sinaloa state of Mexico, on Thursday. The cucumbers were distributed by Arizona-based company Tricar Sales and were "purchased or consumed at multiple locations or restaurants." The CDC says "there is no evidence that contaminated cucumbers supplied by are still on the market."

Though salmonella is most closely associated with chicken, eggs and ground meat, produce has been tied to numerous outbreaks of the disease over the past few years. Fruits and vegetables that are usually eaten raw -- like cucumbers -- pose an especially high risk, since salmonella bacteria are killed by high heat. Indeed, cucumbers were tied to another outbreak of salmonellosis just two years ago.

Shameless Nerd

27,375 Points
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
nice to know, I just had cucumber for lunch yesterday, now I'm getting all paranoid.

Feral Nymph

She-who-loves-hyphens
nice to know, I just had cucumber for lunch yesterday, now I'm getting all paranoid.

Don't be paranoid, just pay close attention to how you feel, and go to a doctor or hospital ASAP if you do get really sick (as in, unable to keep food in you grade sick, not Pessimist wishes her cold would go away sick)

6,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
Oh s**t. I ate cucumber rolls yesterday from a sushi restaurant. eek eek eek eek

Although, I feel fine
I live in California and i actually did get sick from the cucumber lmao. But I'm not reported in there because I got better quickly. Thankfully my immune system is awesome. I don't have insurance after all!

Alicorn Twilight Sparkle's Significant Otter

Pesky Werewolf

35,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
  • Friendly 100
o-o I am afraid to eat my cucumber in my fridge now

jellybeantoes's Partner

Angelic Star

15,600 Points
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Party Animal 100
Airashii Tsuki

Are they from Mexico?

Pesky Werewolf

35,900 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Friendly 100
Delle42
Airashii Tsuki

Are they from Mexico?

well, to be honest with you it doesnt say, it was given to me at a free food distribution... so I am now afraid of it since I am unsure of its origins...

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Airashii Tsuki

Wash it with a little dishwashing soap and rinse it thoroughly. Salmonella won't survive the soap.

Timid Pup

11,800 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Delle42
sources

Quote:
Watch out, cucumber fans: your favorite raw vegetable has been tied to an outbreak of salmonella.

Marler Blog reported on Thursday that 73 people in 18 states have contracted salmonellosis after eating cucumbers imported from Mexico over the past several months. Twenty-eight of those who have fallen ill live in California. Nearly a third have been hospitalized. None have died.

The FDA placed an "Import Alert" on cucumbers from Daniel Cardenas Izabal and Miracle Greenhouse, two suppliers in Culiacan, the largest city in the Sinaloa state of Mexico, on Thursday. The cucumbers were distributed by Arizona-based company Tricar Sales and were "purchased or consumed at multiple locations or restaurants." The CDC says "there is no evidence that contaminated cucumbers supplied by are still on the market."

Though salmonella is most closely associated with chicken, eggs and ground meat, produce has been tied to numerous outbreaks of the disease over the past few years. Fruits and vegetables that are usually eaten raw -- like cucumbers -- pose an especially high risk, since salmonella bacteria are killed by high heat. Indeed, cucumbers were tied to another outbreak of salmonellosis just two years ago.
man i thought that this was a chicken thing,

Pesky Werewolf

35,900 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Friendly 100
loretta the bitchness
Delle42
sources

Quote:

man i thought that this was a chicken thing,

well it can spread, I remember the peanutbutter outbreak from a long while ago, I cant remember the brand, or brands though.... but yeah there was lots of peanutbutter that was contaminated with salmonella.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff