Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think Creation Science (Creationism) should be in Texas (or any other state) public schools?

No 0.76 76.0% [ 76 ]
Yes 0.13 13.0% [ 13 ]
Neutral 0.11 11.0% [ 11 ]
Total Votes:[ 100 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5

Ferocious Browser

Diaf.

Did we learn nothing from history when religion is force fed to everyone to the detriment of science?

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Ratttking
Almost every society around the world has some sort of creation story and has practices and customs that are seen as religious. I'm not sure why you think they had no concept of religion. Of course, it is impossible to prove what exactly they believed without written or oral histories, but we can compare their known practices with ones similar to ours and make an educated guess.

I will break it down for you and then I am DONE explaining myself.

Quote:
Thing is...

Creationism...

You don't even need to be religious in order to believe in that. NIs of the Americas and Mexico and Canada know that as does any Aborigine in the world.

Not really a "religion" where it is concerned. Belief of a God or Creator is far deeper than that.

Quote:
Our Prehistoric Ancestors knew nothing of religion. Yet wondered about "all that was created".

Unless GOD was an Alien from some other planet somewhere in the Universe (maybe Mars... or maybe here on Earth living in a civilization that was destroyed during the great disaster that happened 65 million years ago that ultimately caused so many dinosaurs to be wiped out in a matter of a few million years time) and created the first humans either as children who were born or created in a lab in a test tube... and then left here...
then the prehistoric ancestors that were the beginning of all human species, did not have a concept of a religion. No more so than any ape species in this day and age.

And unless we have the ability to go back in time and study them and stuff, neither you nor I can prove whether that is right or wrong.

I will say it again.
One does NOT need to be religious in order to believe in God, in creationism or in evolutionism. Nothing anybody can say to me can or will change my mind.
I stand by my convictions.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Nyadriel
Ratttking
Almost every society around the world has some sort of creation story and has practices and customs that are seen as religious. I'm not sure why you think they had no concept of religion. Of course, it is impossible to prove what exactly they believed without written or oral histories, but we can compare their known practices with ones similar to ours and make an educated guess.

I will break it down for you and then I am DONE explaining myself.

Quote:
Thing is...

Creationism...

You don't even need to be religious in order to believe in that. NIs of the Americas and Mexico and Canada know that as does any Aborigine in the world.

Not really a "religion" where it is concerned. Belief of a God or Creator is far deeper than that.

Quote:
Our Prehistoric Ancestors knew nothing of religion. Yet wondered about "all that was created".

Unless GOD was an Alien from some other planet somewhere in the Universe (maybe Mars... or maybe here on Earth living in a civilization that was destroyed during the great disaster that happened 65 million years ago that ultimately caused so many dinosaurs to be wiped out in a matter of a few million years time) and created the first humans either as children who were born or created in a lab in a test tube... and then left here...
then the prehistoric ancestors that were the beginning of all human species, did not have a concept of a religion. No more so than any ape species in this day and age.

And unless we have the ability to go back in time and study them and stuff, neither you nor I can prove whether that is right or wrong.

I will say it again.
One does NOT need to be religious in order to believe in God, in creationism or in evolutionism. Nothing anybody can say to me can or will change my mind.
I stand by my convictions.
I don't think you actually know what the term "religion" implies. You cannot state that they "wondered about all that was created" with any factual certainty, nor can you state the possible beliefs of any other modern primates. As I said, you can compare evidence of ancient practices with similar modern ones and be reasonably certain that they are religious in nature. One does not need to believe in a god to be religious either, as not all religions are theistic.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
GunsmithKitten
xdivision_whitey
How about this, teach both. .

Sweet! Then I'll petetion that we teach both Chemistry and Taoist alchemy in the same class too! Why should only Christianity get the privledge of being taught as a science?
Go for it Taoist Alchemy sound fun!

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
2sarahgate
and all these religious people always shoving one religion. what about all the other series of beliefs in there? domokun stargate
Many of us don't say just teach one. quiet a few would like options for more.

Omnipresent Warlord

xdivision_whitey
2sarahgate
and all these religious people always shoving one religion. what about all the other series of beliefs in there? domokun stargate

In a science class you teach none. It's a waste of time to discuss things you can't test or evaluate with science in a class that is supposed to teach people how to think like scientists.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Omnileech
xdivision_whitey
2sarahgate

In a science class you teach none. It's a waste of time to discuss things you can't test or evaluate with science in a class that is supposed to teach people how to think like scientists.
You can't test and prove what happened billions of years ago either. s**t they can't even figure out what really killed off the dinosaurs, was it Cold, asteroid, gender gap, Illness. Till time travel is possiable it will never be proven so why teach it aside from it being a theory. Now gravity I can believe because we deal with it every damn day.

Devoted Hunter

Creationism has no place in the classroom because it is not based on fact. It cannot be tested and proven to be true, whereas evolution has been found to be factual.
Religion is bullshit.

Eloquent Cutie-Pie

17,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Senpai's Notice 100
xdivision_whitey
2sarahgate

it still doesn't belong in a SCIENCE class.
it belongs in an OPTIONAL class, taught about religion from an outside viewpoint (like impact religious texts have had on culture and history), there was an article in this forum about a class like that a month or two ago.
domokun stargate

Omnipresent Warlord

xdivision_whitey
Omnileech
xdivision_whitey
2sarahgate

You can't test and prove what happened billions of years ago either. s**t they can't even figure out what really killed off the dinosaurs, was it Cold, asteroid, gender gap, Illness. Till time travel is possiable it will never be proven so why teach it aside from it being a theory. Now gravity I can believe because we deal with it every damn day.

Ok, just because you haven't spent much time learning Science doesn't disprove the scientific method. Any hypothesis on dinosaurs can be proven true or false. Just to blow your mind here's something. Science has proven that birds are direct descendants of dinosaurs and a product evolution. If something "killed off the dinosaurs" then how would birds exist?

Conservative Victory

I recently in my political science class had to write a research paper on a Supreme Court case from 1986 where the State of Louisiana was mandating that creation science be taught alongside the theory of evolution in classes where the theory of evolution was being taught and I can safely say that based on that case what Texas is doing is a violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. Or I should say that is the way the courts would rule anyways. Having said that though I am not against the teaching of alternative view points in schools, as someone who is both a Christian and a lover of science. In fact doing so can be healthy for promoting an atmosphere of academic freedom. But to pass constitutional scrutiny creation science should not be mandated in every biology class in Texas schools, but as an elective class which presents alternative theories such as creationism, creation science, intelligent design, evolutionary creationism, and so on. Only those students wishing to have a different perspective presented should have that ability to do so, and those content with the purely scientific curriculum can remain in standard biology classes.

7,800 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Prince Ikari
I recently in my political science class had to write a research paper on a Supreme Court case from 1986 where the State of Louisiana was mandating that creation science be taught alongside the theory of evolution in classes where the theory of evolution was being taught and I can safely say that based on that case what Texas is doing is a violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. Or I should say that is the way the courts would rule anyways. Having said that though I am not against the teaching of alternative view points in schools, as someone who is both a Christian and a lover of science. In fact doing so can be healthy for promoting an atmosphere of academic freedom. But to pass constitutional scrutiny creation science should not be mandated in every biology class in Texas schools, but as an elective class which presents alternative theories such as creationism, creation science, intelligent design, evolutionary creationism, and so on. Only those students wishing to have a different perspective presented should have that ability to do so, and those content with the purely scientific curriculum can remain in standard biology classes.

It's a ludicrous thought to even allow Creationism within a Science class. And if they did put Creationism in Biology textbooks... then they would have to edit the WHOLE thing and not just of evolution and climate change. It'll be more of a bible study than a Biology class.

And knowin' that a Biology textbook would mention the reproduction of animals, I wouldn't be surprised if they exclude that from the books too.

Creationism won't help the younger generation to be open minded. It a refusal of understandin' the world and universe as we know of them... so far. Even though theories can be proven wrong, there will be new theories to take their places and they are steps closer to finally get our questions answered.

And as ya said, it is best to have an elective class; optional to be precise. But it would be best if it were Religious Studies than just of anything relatin' to Christianity itself. Public schools are meltin' pots of many cultures and religions. And since we have World History, and any religions mentioned are not actually discussed thoroughly. It'll also help exercise freedom of religion and it won't breach the separation of church and state.

Bloodthirsty Phantom

16,300 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Partygoer 500
"Creation Science" that right there is an oxymoron of itself, there is no science behind Creationism. It's just a scientific-sounding word for the book of Genesis.

Bloodthirsty Phantom

16,300 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Partygoer 500
xdivision_whitey
GunsmithKitten
xdivision_whitey
How about this, teach both. .

Sweet! Then I'll petetion that we teach both Chemistry and Taoist alchemy in the same class too! Why should only Christianity get the privledge of being taught as a science?
Go for it Taoist Alchemy sound fun!

You know what, I really, really want someone to actually do this just to mess with the Creationists.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff