Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
A husband and wife accused of making three of their adopted children virtual prisoners inside their home pleaded not guilty Wednesday in a case that began after prosecutors say two girls crashed the family van while trying to make their escape.

The 58-year-old adopted father is charged with sexually abusing the two girls, now ages 17 and 14. He and his 64-year-old wife are both charged with kidnapping, felonious assault and endangering children in Ashtabula County, east of Cleveland.

The Associated Press is not naming the suspects to avoid identifying the girls. County Prosecutor Nicholas Iarocci said the couple also abused and neglected an adopted son, now 21, who is mentally disabled.

Iarocci said Wednesday that the couple "repeatedly and harshly" beat the girls and older son with a paddle that eventually became stained with blood. The three victims were given little to eat and were malnourished, Iarocci said.

He called living conditions inside the home "deplorable."

The victims were typically allowed out of their rooms for two hours a day for school lessons and to use the bathroom, Iarocci said. They were not allowed to socialize with other children in recent years, he said.

Iarocci could not explain why a younger adopted son, now 13, was not abused.

Indictments allege the abuse occurred over a two-year period starting in September 2011. The investigation began after the two girls escaped from their shared bedroom in August 2013, sped away in the van and got into an accident, Iarocci said.

The girls were cited in juvenile court, which led them to tell a probation officer about the abuse, Iarocci said. The three children and the man were removed from the home and placed in foster care a month after the crash.

The couple adopted the four children about 11 years ago. The abuse began after two teenage boys who also lived there left the home after turning 18, Iarocci said.

The abuse inflicted psychological damage on the girls, but they and their older adopted brother have thrived in foster care, Iarocci said.

"They're almost different children," he said, adding that the girls are being adopted by another family.

An attorney for the husband declined to comment on Wednesday. The wife is expected to be assigned an attorney in the next few days. Each are being held on $50,000 bail.

foster

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
******** pricks. I believe even if a child's adopted checks should occasionally be done. A lot of these pricks don't do anything until they think they have "legal ownership" of the child.

Tipsy Smoker

Alexander J ******** pricks. I believe even if a child's adopted checks should occasionally be done. A lot of these pricks don't do anything until they think they have "legal ownership" of the child.[/quote] I feel like they should still watch
ztztwco9:0="Alexander J ******** pricks. I believe even if a child's adopted checks should occasionally be done. A lot of these pricks don't do anything until they think they have "legal ownership" of the child.[/quote] I feel like they should still watch them.

Philosophizing Otaku

16,150 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Team Moira 200
  • Falling For You 25
Seriously, dafaque?
I'm glad the li'l one wasn't abused, but why would they do that stuff to the older children? It's just maddening that people will actually do this, and I hope they get the death penalty.

And they waited until the eldest 2 left home to do that kinda stuff.....Look, I don't care if they're adopted or not, it's still wrong! And to do that to the ones who trust you the most....it makes me utterly sick and I just wanna cry. cry

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
An attorney for the husband declined to comment on Wednesday. The wife is expected to be assigned an attorney in the next few days

So, sounds like separate trials and also like they are trying to play the husband and wife against each other. Or maybe they just have to give them separate attorneys as SOP or a mistrial would be declared.

If they had nothing but a story... um... maybe.
Sometimes kids do tell whoppers to get out of something big - like I stole the family van and crashed it.
But when the kids are malnourished and you inspect the home and find the bloody paddle and the "deplorable" living conditions and they can probably verify with the neighbors and friends that the parents stopped letting the girls see anyone and there are probably some physical signs of sexual / physical abuse..... and so on....
I wonder how in the heck they plant to make a not guilty pleas work.

How much you want to bet the wife tries to get a plea deal for turning on the husband?
"He was mean and scary and I feared for my safety if I didn't let him abuse the girls".
(Which might actually be true - but is still wrong)

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Sickening, just sickening.

Kawaii Shoujo

What I want to know is... how come no one in the entire neighborhood not realize of what was going on there? Didn't anyone find it suspicious that no one had seen the girls for a very long time? It's not surprising that the couple would naturally plead not guilty for their crimes and would probably blame the children for the sickened acts.
I already knew about this one from my adoption circles. Abuse in adoptive homes is a huge, dark secret that no one wants to talk about. Adoption is still a billion-dollar (and growing) business. Both private and government-sanctioned adoptions rely on moving children into their adoptive homes which is done as quickly as possible with very little pre-adoption screening or requirements. I needed more experience and training just to work in a daycare than my adoptive mother needed to adopt two traumatized children.

Even statistics have shown that basically the more unrelated people around a child, the higher the risk of abuse. That abuse is higher in adoptive homes.

No one wants to talk about it or even admit that it's happening however because the narrative on adoption is that it's always a universal win-win, that it's saving orphans and unwanted waifs and that the child being adopted should be grateful for being wanted and saved by the selfless adopters. There's very little to no scrutiny being truly given to why someone wants to adopt.

There needs to be post-adoption checks. It would have saved so many adoptees who are now, sadly, dead by their adoptive parents hands. And many others who are still suffering in silence. sad

Ferocious Browser

fairy-phoenix
What I want to know is... how come no one in the entire neighborhood not realize of what was going on there? Didn't anyone find it suspicious that no one had seen the girls for a very long time? It's not surprising that the couple would naturally plead not guilty for their crimes and would probably blame the children for the sickened acts.

I see this question a lot when bad things happen: why didn't the neighbors know?

Personally, I would have 0 idea of what is going on. I leave super early, come back late, and don't much walk around outside checking in on people. If anything happened to me, I don't think my neighbors would know until my car started rusting. Ditto for me noticing the neighbors.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff