Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vicious Reveler

Source and funny pictures

“America had often been discovered before Columbus, but it had always been hushed up.”- Oscar Wilde

Today is Columbus Day, a national holiday that has drawn resentment from Native Americans and pedants since its inception. For the last 22 years, South Dakota has instead dubbed the second Monday in October Native American Day as a gesture of respect for indigenous people suffering attempted, and in some cases successful, genocide after Europeans colonized the New World. Facebook users have started a campaign to make the change to Native American Day on a national level.

Others feel Columbus Day is a necessary evil. Danny Tyree of Humor Times wrote, “We still need Columbus Day to focus us on the good AND bad of exploration, to serve as a lightning rod for dissent and debate, an open wound to keep us from repeating the bad parts of history.”

Regardless of your feelings about the holiday, you are sure to enjoy some of this year's tweets on the subject:

HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY: You can celebrate by going out for Indian curry, getting lost, winding up at American Grill and enslaving the staff. —@LouBrutus

Columbus Day, the holiday that no one knows whether they have off. —@alexia

In honor of Columbus Day, I'm tweeting this and claiming all the tweets in your timeline as mine. —@TUSK81

To celebrate Columbus Day I shall bring my cold to work & get everyone sick. It's not small pox but it'll have to do. —@TheDiLLon1

Happy Columbus Day. To think, 116 years ago today Sacagawea met George Washington at Plymouth Rock. My father marched with them. —@MITTR0MNEY

How bout a festival to celebrate Columbus Day! Kiddies can dress in costumes and pretend to enslave n kill millions of people. FUN!! —@ebenet

Is celebrating Columbus Day in America like celebrating George W. Bush day in Iraq? —@LOLGOP

Columbus Day: The day that celebrates the fact that men refuse to ask for directions and end up in new worlds. —@MarshallRamsey

Mega Glitch

Despite all the history lessons I still have yet to understand why I should give a damn about Columbus. Does anyone know any good sources to enlighten me on the subject?

Adored Admirer

Well, if it didn't happen, I wonder what America would be now.

Fuzzy Bunny

18,450 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Pseudo-Onkelos
Well, if it didn't happen, I wonder what America would be now.
Perhaps a very early Bronze Age-type culture assuming that North America caught up with South which had begun to make a few primitive metallic alloys.

Vicious Reveler

ngaurhoth1
Despite all the history lessons I still have yet to understand why I should give a damn about Columbus. Does anyone know any good sources to enlighten me on the subject?

This source gives a pretty good understanding of his history, but esstentially he is considered important because his voyage triggered the European exploration and settlement of "the New World"

Playful Kitten

16,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Columbus Day is when you pull into a bank or library and it's closed and you say, "Oh yeah, today is Columbus Day".
Or, in my case seeing this thread, even though last week I saw the sign on the library door saying they would be closed today due to Columbus Day.

Vicious Reveler

David2074
Columbus Day is when you pull into a bank or library and it's closed and you say, "Oh yeah, today is Columbus Day".
Or, in my case seeing this thread, even though last week I saw the sign on the library door saying they would be closed today due to Columbus Day.

Hah, yeah I knew about it because I went to the bank on Saturday and saw a note saying they'd be closed.
Columbus day shouldn't be a national holiday imo since aside from all deaths and what not Columbus didn't even land on what we typically think as the Americas (at least not here in the US).

There were others here first who did, the indigenous peoples, the Vikings and perhaps even others. Of course, the old school Europeans had to get everything down on paper as they being the first

Playful Kitten

16,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
bluespinach
Columbus day shouldn't be a national holiday imo since aside from all deaths and what not Columbus didn't even land on what we typically think as the Americas (at least not here in the US).

There were others here first who did, the indigenous peoples, the Vikings and perhaps even others. Of course, the old school Europeans had to get everything down on paper as they being the first

In 1482 Columbus landed in The Bahamas which is smack dab in the middle or what we consider the Americas. The Americas includes a whole lot more than 'America'.

I was reading up a bit on Columbus Day and how it is celebrated in different countries and thought this was kind of nice
..."(celebrated) as Día del Respeto a la Diversidad Cultural (Day of Respect for Cultural Diversity) in Argentina"

Given how diverse the Americas are and particularly how diverse the USA has become I think I could get behind a "Day of Respect for Cultural Diversity" more than just "Yay, Columbus landed in this general area a few hundred years ago".

BTW, speaking of your 'others', a neighbor recently commented they have found through DNA analysis that many of the Native Americans have a fair bit of Chinese in them. I think the implication was dating way way back, not just from relations with Chinese after they came over as immigrants to work on railroads and such. I have not researched that though. Just remembered it as I was reading your message.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games