Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Don't you hate how bags of potato chips are really bags of air? Some college students decided to do something about that. And best of all, they're going to sail a potato chip raft across a river.

You know when you are buying chips, you aren't just getting chips, you are also getting a bag full of air. As tipster Sang points out, recently in South Korea, people have been complaining online about "nitrogen snacks" (질소과자). "Nitrogen," of course, refers to the air in the bags.

In recent years, this has become a bigger problem, resulting in less snack and more air.

So, to protest Korean snack companies ripping people off, three college students (Sung Taek Chang, Sung Ho Yoo, and Hyun Soo Park) decided to make rafts out of potato chip bags. Here is their working prototype.

(The theme song, tipster Sang adds, is from the Korean version of the Digimon theme.)

The nitrogen snack phenomenon has even made the evening news in South Korea.

According to the students, they're just trying to portray people's snack rage "in a humorous way."

The students have even told Korean media outlets like Yonhap News and Daum that they plan on building a two-person raft made from 180 bags of potato chips and paddling it across the Han River tomorrow. That's a big freakin' river.

When they do, an emergency rescue crew will be on hand.

But will this work? If the kids' video didn't convince you, maybe this photo of a dude using a bag of Korean snacks as a flotation device will?

Don't worry about the snacks going to waste. The students either plan on eating them once they cross the river or donating them. Maybe they could make them into a balloon and fly to the summit of Mount Bukhansan?

Good luck brave snack rafters!

College Students Float on Bags of Potato Chips

Timid Conversationalist

... this is absolutely amazing.

Kawaii Shoujo

It's amazing at how they came up with the idea in the first place, I would take my hat off to them... if I did wear a hat xd

Stone-cold Aggressor

13,250 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
If im ever on a cruise i know what im using for a raft, not to mention if i got really hungry i could eat the contents of my raft.

Wintry Dragon

fairy-phoenix
It's amazing at how they came up with the idea in the first place, I would take my hat off to them... if I did wear a hat xd
Someone must have dropped a couple of bags in the pool during a party. They were like, "Duuuuuuuude!"

Sparkling Member

1,950 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Gender Swap 100
garyoak99
The students have even told Korean media outlets like Yonhap News and Daum that they plan on building a two-person raft made from 180 bags of potato chips and paddling it across the Han River tomorrow. That's a big freakin' river.

As I and countless others are aware. This blatant condescension is why I stay far away from Gawker Media if I can help it.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
*slowly turns to look at Utz* >_>

Dangerous Explorer

That actually looks really fun. xD
I bet it would work great for pool parties, use em for fun then eat em.

King Noob

looks fun buut i wouldnt eat it after that.. o_o that water doesnt look too clean. I mean I know the chips are closed but still..
Lol, I've always said the first ingredient labeled on most bags of chips should be air. lol

Bucktoothed Otaku

19,450 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200
They wanna protest but kept buying more bags of chips for their 'prototypes'?? emotion_facepalm Some people are just too rich.. emotion_omnomnom

JamesWN's Wife

Colorful Hourglass

Pffff,that's a pretty clever use of those things...XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out