Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
Quote:
The new logo for the University of Connecticut’s sports teams is a terrifying husky dog that calls to mind images of sexual assault, says one student.

The new logo was unveiled last week, receiving mixed-to-negative reviews from UConn fans who preferred the older, cuter husky dog.

But one student went much further, criticizing the new, meaner logo for being a pro-rape symbol.

In an open letter to UC President Susan Herbst, self-described feminist student Carolyn Luby wrote that the redesigned team logo will intimidate women and empower rape culture.

UConn basketball coach Geno Auriemma said the logo “is looking right through you and saying, ‘Do not mess with me.’ This is a streamlined, fighting dog, and I cannot wait for it to be on our uniforms and court.”

In response, Luby wrote, “What terrifies me about the admiration of such traits is that I know what it feels like to have a real life Husky look straight through you and to feel powerless, and to wonder if even the administration cannot ‘mess with them.’ And I know I am not alone.”

There were two sexual assaults at UConn involving athletes in the past year, Luby claimed.

The logo and the teams it represents are menacing to women, she wrote.

“The face of real life UConn athletics is certainly capable of frightening college women,” wrote Luby.

Herbst did not respond to requests for comment.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/26/colleges-husky-dog-logo-promotes-rape-says-student/#ixzz2RcQef72m

Confident Genius

This....is confusing. Were the rapes committed by mutant dog-men?

That is the only way an image of a more menacing dog could possibly strike me as being a symbol to empower rape. As it stands, I just see it as being another way to bolster fighting spirit when it comes to athletics. Nothing wrong with that.

Just because some of the athletes did things, and should be rightfully punished, doesn't mean every athlete is a slavering deviant that can be encouraged to knock a girl over and do things just because his team image has a more fangly dog than they had before.

I don't mind people wanting to prevent rape, but when they go to the point of implying that all men should be treated as though they are unable to control their genitals and even simple aggressive imagery is too much for their caveman-like brains and will surely cause them to revert into feral, sex crazed animals that think, "Rape good, hurrhurrhurr!", it's just ridiculous.

The source of rape isn't that all men are inherently stupid and evil and I see a lot of people treating it that way. (Of course, women can rape too. But I don't usually see a lot of the new anti-rape attitude focusing on them when it comes to prevention.)

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

Sinivar
This....is confusing. Were the rapes committed by mutant dog-men?

That is the only way an image of a more menacing dog could possibly strike me as being a symbol to empower rape. As it stands, I just see it as being another way to bolster fighting spirit when it comes to athletics. Nothing wrong with that.

Just because some of the athletes did things, and should be rightfully punished, doesn't mean every athlete is a slavering deviant that can be encouraged to knock a girl over and do things just because his team image has a more fangly dog than they had before.

I don't mind people wanting to prevent rape, but when they go to the point of implying that all men should be treated as though they are unable to control their genitals and even simple aggressive imagery is too much for their caveman-like brains and will surely cause them to revert into feral, sex crazed animals that think, "Rape good, hurrhurrhurr!", it's just ridiculous.

The source of rape isn't that all men are inherently stupid and evil and I see a lot of people treating it that way. (Of course, women can rape too. But I don't usually see a lot of the new anti-rape attitude focusing on them when it comes to prevention.)

People in the comments have mentioned this:

Sounds legit!

Dedicated Student

I looked at the logo and I wonder how it promots rape.... unless there is some language that I am missing.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
emotion_facepalm If you look at a husky and your first thought is rape I think you need serious help.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
if you look at a cartoon dog and the only thing you can think of is "he's a'lookin' to raep me," then there most certainly IS a problem.

though, it's not one that's gonna be solved by a redesign of the logo. I mean, at that juncture, you're pretty much just seeing it everywhere.

this reminds me rather of that woman who hates Firefly because of all the scenes that focus on Wash raping Zoe, or talking about raping Zoe, or Zoe being intimidated by Wash into pretending she enjoys being raped by Wash ( though she did stumble a**-first into a genuine complaint about the way Zoe always calls Mal "Sir," but that's less to do with her stated reason of "Mal's white," and more to do with "Mal was a Sergeant when she started that s**t." seriously, it breaks suspension of disbelief to see someone who somehow managed to rise to the rank of Corporal before somebody called her out for improperly addressing Sergeants ).

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Oh, honestly..... rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes
Really? REALLY??
If that logo makes you think rape you need to go get help immediately!
And if you get cowered by a husky, or any dog for that matter, staring at you you need to learn more about dogs. The huskies I've met have been gentle. Also, I have yet to meet a dog that I cannot put in its place by giving it a good stare.
I don't see it. I don't even see how the new logo is fierce and threatening. It's looking at me. It's not that scary.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

Shama_okami
Really? REALLY??
If that logo makes you think rape you need to go get help immediately!
And if you get cowered by a husky, or any dog for that matter, staring at you you need to learn more about dogs. The huskies I've met have been gentle. Also, I have yet to meet a dog that I cannot put in its place by giving it a good stare.

Or they need to get therapy for any dog attacks and subsequent phobia of dogs they might have acquired.

I do like the way their old logo looked, but I guess the new one fits the way they want to market themselves.

Wintry Dragon

Must need special glasses to see the rape side of the logo.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
A mali
Must need special glasses to see the rape side of the logo.

or, be a Women's Studies Major, but they are trained to see the rape in everything.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
I don't see how that image promotes rape. I can see the "I'm gonna seriously f*ck you up" part, but I don't think it's the literal interpretation of that phrase...

Mega Cutie-Pie

What? = - =

Loyal Exhibitionist

That new logo is actually pretty impressive. I did not even get a tiniest bit of a "rape" vibe from it.

She must've be on drugs when she saw the logo and interpreted it differently.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff