Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Chinese teenagers in Shanghai know more about money than American kids. So do teens in Estonia.

In fact, in a recent test that measured financial literacy of 15 year olds, U.S. teens ranked in the middle of the pack, alongside Russia and Latvia.

The test, administered by the OECD, tested knowledge of everything from banking and taxes to how interest rates work, and was given to 29,000 students in 18 countries in 2012, in conjunction with a more widespread international assessment of math, science and reading (called the Program for International Student Assessment).

A sample question, for example, quizzes students on how to read a pay slip. In order to answer correctly, a student would have to know the difference between gross and net pay (or the difference between pay before and after deductions, like taxes).

Nearly 20% of U.S. students didn't even reach the baseline level of proficiency, "or the basic skills that are needed for success later in life," according to Michael Davidson, head of early childhood education at the OECD.

Chinese students scored the highest, with more than half of students labeled as top performers.

But it's important to note that the only Chinese students tested were in the country's largest and wealthier city of Shanghai, a distinction that has drawn controversy in the past.

Other top-ranking countries included Belgium, Estonia, Australia and New Zealand.

Related: Chinese students found cheating to get into U.S. colleges

In the United States, there is no national standard for financial education, with requirements and programs varying widely across the country.

By contrast, in Australia financial literacy lessons are included within math, English and science courses, while Estonian teacher training includes education on financial literacy issues.

"If we want to have young people who are globally competitive in 20 years, having a good solid basis of understanding their financial lives early is important," said Ted Beck, president of the nonprofit National Endowment for Financial Education. "This should be a national priority."

Money make the world go round

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Yeah, anything I know in regards to financial literacy I mostly learned in Girl Scouts. I took a business class in high school, but I don't think I'd know how to accurately read a pay slip...

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
nice of them to know, but knowing still won't give them higher paychecks.

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
So...I don't get it.
They used the results from ONE state/province/whatever in China and compared it with the results of students in 50 states of the US?
How is that even accurate?
I get it, maybe the students in the US could use with more classes on how to manage finances, but it's ridiculous to compare a small portion of students in China with students in different states in the US, or different states/provinces/districts/whatever in every other country.
you know, when i went to school, many of my professors were Chinese... ergo...

Wintry Dragon

I'm not so surprised.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas