Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
Tragic end to car thief and stolen baby case

A man who stole a car with an infant sleeping inside turned himself in to police yesterday afternoon, saying he had strangled the baby to death, bringing a manhunt in northeast China to a tragic halt.

The body of the two-month-old was found in a shallow grave near a highway, police in Gongzhuling City, Jilin Province, announced last night.

The baby's mother suffered a heart attack on hearing the news and was rushed to hospital.

The suspect, 48-year-old Zhou Xijun, a Gongzhuling native, took officers to the scene where the body of Xu Haobo was found buried in the snow. The baby had been strangled.

Police said Zhou told them he found the infant on the backseat after he drove it away from a street in Changchun, Jilin's capital, early on Monday.

Zhou killed the baby and buried him after he stopped at Yongfa Township, halfway to his destination in Shuangliao City, police said. He discarded the baby's clothes and abandoned the car, a Toyota RAV4, nearby around 8:20am yesterday.

Police had already determined Zhou was the prime suspect before he gave himself up.

The theft of the car, with the thief not knowing that a baby was sleeping inside, triggered a massive manhunt across northeastern China. More than 8,000 police officers and colleagues from neighboring provinces joined in the search while hundreds of cabbies kept a lookout on roads and expressways after a description of the car was circulated.

Several local radio channels suspended regular programing to follow the case. Jilin Traffic Radio offered a reward of up to 50,000 yuan (US$8,026) for information leading to the boy's recovery.

On Monday, at around 7:20am, the baby's father, surnamed Xu, parked his car in front of his store and went inside to turn on a stove, leaving the infant sleeping on the back seat and the engine running. Xu and his wife said they didn't want to wake him from his slumbers.

Xu left the store just minutes later to find his car, and his son, missing. He immediately called the police.

"We won't hold you accountable, only if you stop the car and ensure the safety of my child," Xu and his relatives had implored via a local traffic radio broadcast.

Friendly Wench

I really really wish that people would stop leaving their children unattended in the car! This is the second time this has been in the news in a matter of months, but luckily in the first case the baby was safe and returned home. I wish nothing but the absolute best for the family, but here's to hoping that the loss of this baby will teach them a very important lesson.
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
I really really wish that people would stop leaving their children unattended in the car! This is the second time this has been in the news in a matter of months, but luckily in the first case the baby was safe and returned home. I wish nothing but the absolute best for the family, but here's to hoping that the loss of this baby will teach them a very important lesson.

And with the engine running, no less. emotion_facepalm That might keep the baby warm but it also gives thieves a huge opportunity to make off with the car and the baby inside of it.

Friendly Wench

Baron von Failure

Right? "But I was only in there for a minute!" In a minute someone can ; steal your car, kill you , break into your house, your baby could choke to death, etc. A lot can happen in a minute - especially if you let it.
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
I wish nothing but the absolute best for the family, but here's to hoping that the loss of this baby will teach them a very important lesson.

Hilarious. A very important lesson? Really?

Friendly Wench

Djia
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
I wish nothing but the absolute best for the family, but here's to hoping that the loss of this baby will teach them a very important lesson.

Care to clarify what you mean?

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Sad story of course so not much need to comment on that.

I found the style of reporting interesting.
In a US story about a child they frequently refer to the child by name and try to humanize and build up sympathy for the child.
In this story even though it was obvious the parents / family were victims they continue to refer to Haobo as "the baby", only mentioning his name once. They don't even mention sex but I'm guessing that is a male name based on a Google I did. It's just the baby, the baby, the baby.
A US story would have included some crap about the kid's hair and eye color and what it had for breakfast and what its favorite stuffy was.

Witty Phantom

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Djia
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X

What is there to learn, exactly?
Their kid is dead. Nothing to ******** learn, there except that people are assholes.

Friendly Wench

Eternal Marionetta
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Djia
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X

Their kid is dead. Nothing to ******** learn, there except that people are assholes.

Um how about the obvious? DON'T ******** LEAVE YOUR KIDS IN THE CAR.

Witty Phantom

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Eternal Marionetta
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Djia
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X

Um how about the obvious? DON'T ******** LEAVE YOUR KIDS IN THE CAR.

Right. = - =
Like it's never too late for shitty advice.

Friendly Wench

Eternal Marionetta

And if they have another kid this advice won't come in handy? rolleyes

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Really this just shows a difference between American and Chinese [insert proper word(s) here]. Guess the Chinese just don't see babies the way we do.

Friendly Wench

Honey of the South

Well there was a case in the U.S. about a month or two ago where someone stole a car because the parents left the ignition on. Do you mean the fact that the man murdered the baby or that the parents left the baby in the car?

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Honey of the South

Well there was a case in the U.S. about a month or two ago where someone stole a car because the parents left the ignition on. Do you mean the fact that the man murdered the baby or that the parents left the baby in the car?
The fact that the guy murdered the baby.

Friendly Wench

Honey of the South
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Honey of the South

The fact that the guy murdered the baby.

Oh, gotcha. I personally think that there are psychopaths everywhere, though China does have a crap reputation when it comes to the safety and well being of babies and children.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff