Angelic Ladykiller

9,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
xSahri
Ratttking
xSahri
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The sickening idea of declawing a cat comes from materialism. We wouldn't want our cats to use our precious furniture as scratching posts so therefor we declaw em. There's a much simpler and less costly way to keep your cats from doing that. Scratching posts! Several of em, throughout the house! You'll see for yourself how effective it is.
I have various scratching posts for my 3 kitties, but I also trim their nails with clippers when they get long and start sticking to clothes or furniture. It's not hard. If you have a cat that's a bit more difficult, groomers and vets can trim them periodically, it's cheap and there is no risk of harm to the cat as always comes with surgery.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And that is how it should be done. emotion_yatta Declawing can cause all sorts of problems for the cats, plus it's just unnatural for a cat not to have nails.
Tell that to my 22 year old Siamese.
She'd been declawed when she came to us, and even without them, she's destroyed 3 sofas, 2 recliners, a bed, and a dining table with her declawed paws.

After the first sofa, we got her 4 different scratching posts.
We still have all 4.
The only thing wrong with any of them is age, other than that, the cat never touched em.

Dapper Noob

2,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Window Shopper 100
David2074
ArmstrongSparkle
How would you like it if someone took you to the doctor had part of your fingers chopped off, then expected you to go on with your life like nothing happened? YOU WOULDN'T! This is the human equivalent of declawing a cat.
Cats use their claws to play, walk, and live their lives. Without them they can't do these things.
Plus cats who have been declawed develop behavioral problems, like biting.

For more information on this I suggest watching the documentary "The Paw Project". It's on netflix.

Hahah!
OR... I could just look at my fricking cat.
She is declawed.
She plays, walks and lives.
She does not bite.
Yesterday she left a mouse at my front door as a gift the way cats do.

And INB4 the presumptive BS about how cruel I am to my cat -
She was already declawed when I rescued her abandoned, starving, diseased a** and spent money on a vet and gave her a good home.

Personally I am not for declawing cats and have never had one of my cats declawed over the years.
But your statements above are a joke. SOME cats might have some complications from declawing but it isn't like all cats become unable to do the things you said.
Due to some health issues a friend had all of her cats declawed for years. They were all fine and lived happy lives

You're right that I was wrong to say they couldn't live their lives and do normal cat things, My friend had a cat that was declawed when they got her from the shelter and she was a perfectly sweet and loving cat. But I never said that you were a bad person for adopting a cat or even if you had your cat declawed declawed your cat. I'm really sorry if that was what it felt like to you. Your cat sounds really sweet and it was not an offense against your cat. I also didn't say that it caused all cats health and behavioral problems. Though looking back on my wording that is what I made it seem like.
I am still opposed to cats being declawed. The bone and claw can actually start to grow back, leaving a wound inside the paw. That wound can become infected and requires surgery to treat. My friends cat may not have had behavioral problems, but my mom knew a cat who was declawed and she bit and would hit you really hard with their paw.
Again, I'm really sorry if you felt personally offended by my post.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
This is not news

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
ArmstrongSparkle
David2074
ArmstrongSparkle
How would you like it if someone took you to the doctor had part of your fingers chopped off, then expected you to go on with your life like nothing happened? YOU WOULDN'T! This is the human equivalent of declawing a cat.
Cats use their claws to play, walk, and live their lives. Without them they can't do these things.
Plus cats who have been declawed develop behavioral problems, like biting.

For more information on this I suggest watching the documentary "The Paw Project". It's on netflix.

Hahah!
OR... I could just look at my fricking cat.
She is declawed.
She plays, walks and lives.
She does not bite.
Yesterday she left a mouse at my front door as a gift the way cats do.

And INB4 the presumptive BS about how cruel I am to my cat -
She was already declawed when I rescued her abandoned, starving, diseased a** and spent money on a vet and gave her a good home.

Personally I am not for declawing cats and have never had one of my cats declawed over the years.
But your statements above are a joke. SOME cats might have some complications from declawing but it isn't like all cats become unable to do the things you said.
Due to some health issues a friend had all of her cats declawed for years. They were all fine and lived happy lives

You're right that I was wrong to say they couldn't live their lives and do normal cat things, My friend had a cat that was declawed when they got her from the shelter and she was a perfectly sweet and loving cat. But I never said that you were a bad person for adopting a cat or even if you had your cat declawed declawed your cat. I'm really sorry if that was what it felt like to you. Your cat sounds really sweet and it was not an offense against your cat. I also didn't say that it caused all cats health and behavioral problems. Though looking back on my wording that is what I made it seem like.
I am still opposed to cats being declawed. The bone and claw can actually start to grow back, leaving a wound inside the paw. That wound can become infected and requires surgery to treat. My friends cat may not have had behavioral problems, but my mom knew a cat who was declawed and she bit and would hit you really hard with their paw.
Again, I'm really sorry if you felt personally offended by my post.

I'll be honest, that wasn't the response I expected if I expected one at all.
Apology accepted.
And no, I know you didn't say I was a bad person. I wrote the INB4 because from your post 1 comments it seemed like out of context of the situation just knowing I own a declawed cat would probably make you think I'm some kind of cat monster. smile

I think I saw post 1 as sort of the end justifies the means sort of thing.
As in - the end - "I think having cats declawed is a bad thing"
Justifies the means - saying a bunch of stuff that is not true and/or is not true in most situations.
I feel like you reach more people on a topic when you stick to facts and avoid calling people names. You didn't name call directly but presumably you were trying to convince the folks who are okay with declawing, not the ones who already share your point of view. But in the thread title you indirectly tell those people they are inhumane ( "without compassion for misery or suffering; cruel." ) for thinking it is okay to declaw a cat. That's not the best way to make those folks receptive.

For example, that friend I mentioned who had her cats declawed? She loved those cats more than people. When they eventually got old and sick she spent hundreds (if not more) of dollars on vet bills. When they died she was extremely distraught. She saved their bodies in her chest freezer until she could get them cremated. A large portion of her life revolves around her love for her animals. There is nothing inhumane about her and her cats had the best care, the best food, tons and tons of attention and so on. So, IMO not the best way to start a discussion about "Why you shouldn't declaw your cats..." smile

I am not personally for declawing cats.
But I've seen enough situations to think maybe there are times when it is appropriate and I've seen a number of cats who have been declawed and never personally witnessed any of the problems you mentioned. It sounds like there are potential risks involved and it is probably good for people to know about them so they can make an informed decision. But attacking their humanity because their decision is different than your own isn't the best way to win them over to your point of view.

On a related but totally different topic I was at our county fair last week and in the sheep barn we saw a few sheep that looked like they had had their ears removed. It looked gross and I totally don't get the reasoning for it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff