Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sweet Peppermint Tea
yum_tea At this point, I think American women should just stop reproducing altogether and get sterilized en masse. It's the only way we can protect ourselves from assholes who give control of our bodies over to a clump of cells that may or may not survive to become something else.

Once our birth rate drops below our death rate maybe people will actually pay attention to the issues women face when deciding to have children.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Remind me again why some people (read: politicians/lawmakers) think that it is a good idea to give more rights to a fetus (which, in a way, is essentially a parasite for nine months) than to the mother who is carrying it? Seriously, it's stupid.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I swear, CPS needs to be reined the ******** in... stare

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

Oh,but is she dared to get an abortion those same asshats would foam at the mouth and treat her even more horribly than they are now!

I hate people sometimes,just ugh....-_-;

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
These people are ******** disgusting. I hope it gets ruled unconstitutional (it would seem so to me!). Until that baby is out and disconnected from the mother completely, it is a part of her and it's right should NEVER outweigh her own. It has the same rights as a parasite invading her body. She can do what she wants with said body until it is terminated or expelled from said body. They don't even really give a s**t about the baby. They'll still let it go home to s**t conditions, won't help pay for it, and could care less if it ends up in the foster system. They just want to control women and take away our right to decide NOT to be a brood mare.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
People don't think about it, but when you decide that fetuses should be given legal rights and be treated as legal persons, you're going to run into some issues and this case represents that. If the fetus has the same rights as a born person, well, do the rights of the fetus trump the rights of the mother? Can women be charged with child endangerment for doing things that can be considered or are confirmed to be dangerous during pregnancy? Can they be charged with neglect if they don't do enough prenatal care? Will every miscarriage have to be investigated to make sure that it wasn't caused by negligence or poor prenatal care, and if it was, would she be charged with neglectful/accidental manslaughter?

Letting the law call a fetus a person doesn't just result in stopping abortions. It creates a lot of other implications that people do need to think about before supporting such a position.
Quote:
“If the mother isn’t smart enough not to do drugs, we’ve got to step in.”

That is a VERY dangerous line of thought.

Ferocious Browser

Odd, she'd already stopped and that had been proven. I can see why a previous pill addict would be wary of starting on a new regimen of pills.... That was a stupid decision. They had no evidence she had relapsed.

Her case should be tossed and she shouldn't be forced to take any anti additction pills.

However, for junkies I can see where the law helps. If you're gonna get pregnant and do damaging drugs, just abort the damned thing. If you want to keep it, stop the drugs. What the mother cannot do, and this law prevents, is keep it the baby, do the drugs, and then demand the state help her care for the newborn invalid with 500 medical issues that she will never be able to afford if she couldn't even afford a simple abortion.

So on that note, I am torn. I don't think the law should go completely, if you want the states help with your baby, you give up some decision making to the state, especially when engaged in illegal activities. On the other hand you end up with case studies like this woman, where the law is abused and misused.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
worldcrafter
So, all they are doing is wanting to stop her taking potentially harmful drugs while pregnant? I don't see the problem in that. Now if they were either trying to force her to keep it or force her to abort it instead of leaving the choice up to her, then I'd have issues.
The test found her clear of the drug why the hell was cps called?!

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Red Eyes 1994
kitten tea

Two weeks after that prenatal visit the social worker showed up unannounced at Ms. Beltran’s home, telling her to restart Suboxone treatment or face a court order to do so.

Showed up unannounced? Privacy invasion much?
They always show up unannounced and sometimes with Police ready to bash in teeth. Look what they did to the Russian Couple because they wanted a second doctors opinion.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff