Welcome to Gaia! ::

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Canadian youth hockey coach arrested for tripping player in postgame handshake line
More here

Quote:
It's an incident that seems as un-Canadian as anything imaginable: A youth hockey coach in British Columbia has been arrested after being accused of tripping a 13-year-old opponent in a handshake line after the teen had helped defeat the alleged perpetrator's squad.

As reported in more detail by the Canadian Press, the unnamed coach in his 40s stands accused of intentionally tripping the 13-year-old star of his squad's opponent on Saturday. The incident followed a game played between 10-12-year-old squads from Vancouver and Richmond, another city in British Columbia. It is believed that the teen who was tripped was allowed to play in the 10-12 year-old league because he may have been 12 when the season began.

Now, the coach connected with the trip is facing unspecified charges related to the incident, with eyewitness testimony being taken in an effort to determine whether the coach's trip truly was intentional.

If it was, the coach in question clearly has larger issues to work through. The dangerous on-ice reaction led to an injury for the victim, who used both of his wrists to break his fall and suffered minor injuries in the process.

While it may be some time before the incident fully unravels, the impromptu outlash has clearly cast a pall over the University of British Columbia's Thunderbird Arena, which was hosting the game between the two teams.

"The coach was arrested. Charges will be forwarded at a later date, pending the results of the investigation." RCMP Sergeant Paulina Gidda told the Canadian Press. "It was an incident that was unfortunate, and it doesn't bring a great light to our community."

What an a**. So much for sportsmanship.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
I saw that sometime ago and curse at my tv set. Kid could have gotten hurt real bad. And it really looks like the guy had something against the kid the way he did that.

Profitable Gaian

8,600 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Conversationalist 100
What a douche

Fluffy Loiterer

...this made the news?

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Copper Shenanigans
...this made the news?
A grown man assaulted a kid for being better than his players. In Canada; one of the most benign countries ever.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Copper Shenanigans
...this made the news?

Anything even remotely negative happening in Canada makes the news. 4laugh They're like celebrities, really. We expect them to be perfect in comparison to us humble, violent, gun-toting folk, so we immediately jump on anything even resembling malice. Me, I'm convinced it's all a huge conspiracy, and that the Canadian government is putting something in the water. But what do I know? I'm just a zombie. heart

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
What the guy did was wrong / bad / rude / unprofessional / etc in any sport.

But I do find it kind of ironic that it was hockey. A sport where they have had to change rules due to the serious injuries the pros were inflicting on each other. A sport where they actually have to make rules like it's not okay to bash the other guy in the face with your hockey stick and where they are known for on ice fights often involving multiple team members. This is the sport these young men a learning / playing. So kind of ironic that making one boy fall down on the ice is a huge deal. Again, not defending this douchebag of a coach. Just amused to mental compare it to what you see happen during just about any pro hockey game. The sport is known for being pretty brutal.

Animal Lover

7,050 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
huh well I guess the negativity of the world finally reached Canada...

Quotable Dabbler

In Canada being rude in any context is considered a felony.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff