Welcome to Gaia! ::

Read here

Basically Canada dumped their 50 container vans of garbage in our ports since June 2013 and up until now have not claimed it back. It smells, a lot. It even has adult diapers and tampons. We don't even use tampons (where do you even buy them? cause swimming classes and s**t). Every time I hear "wow Canadians are so nice" I remember this and hate them a little more stare

Tipsy Sex Symbol

Tampons can be bought almost anywhere in the U.S. Including gas stations and grocery stores. Anyways that is filthy and so very irresponsible. Do they continue to dump?
Seems like the two private companies (the importer being a company based/owned in the Philippines) should be sued & shut down for illegal importing.

EDIT: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/02/13/whitby_plastic_recycler_denies_shipping_trash_to_philippines.html

Looks like something fishy is happening after the containers leave Canada, if indeed it costs x2 as much to dump garbage in the philipenes than it would to dispose of it here, never mind the fact that its illegal.
pikachu8070
Read here

Basically Canada dumped their 50 container vans of garbage in our ports since June 2013 and up until now have not claimed it back. It smells, a lot. It even has adult diapers and tampons. We don't even use tampons (where do you even buy them? cause swimming classes and s**t). Every time I hear "wow Canadians are so nice" I remember this and hate them a little more stare
You realized in was a phillipines-owned company that illegally imported all the waste right?

Ok? Good.
The Philippine government doesn't have maritime laws or something against that?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Which Scandinavian country has been running out of garbage because they recycle it to energy so well? I'd think companies everywhere should want to sell their garbage to them.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
pikachu8070
Read here

Your comments are pretty biased.
This article really has nothing to do with how nice (or not) the average Canadian citizen is.
It's about a Filipino owned company illegally importing garbage and lying and declaring it as "recyclable plastics".

Yes, it also involved a shady exporter on the Canadian side.
Yes I think Canada should take it back and if their own laws lack the teeth to enforce the treaties they sign they should fix that.
But this story isn't about "Canadian government is intentionally dumping their garbage in the PI = Canadian people are not nice".

TBH I'm a bit surprised it is cheaper to pay shipping and sacrifice the cost of one of those shipping containers rather than to process the garbage legally in Canada. Or maybe the illegal importer was going to secretly run it through his incinerators or bury it and the containers were supposed to go back or something.

The article says it would cost the BOC a total of $581 USD per container to dispose of the waste and disinfect the containers. From the photo, the containers appear to be in good shape, though it is difficult to tell. Looking online I see these cargo containers selling for $1500-2000 each (and up).
Rules about garbage aside, it seems like a financial win for somebody to pay the $581 per container then keep the containers or sell them. Frankly if I could get one of these full size containers for my property for that price I'd take it. Of course I'd probably pay more than that just for shipping / delivery but the thought is nice. smile I'd use it for storage. You can rent / buy them around here but you pay more than that.

I do think both the exporter and importer companies (both ends) engaging in this illegal activity should be shut down or fined or something to make it not worth doing this.
I also think Canada should figure out how to enforce the stuff they agree to.
I do not think this has anything to do with Canadians being "not nice". When you have millions of people anywhere you have some that are shady. In this case it is shady people both in Canada and in the PI.

On a different note, I was surprised to read about PI mostly not using / selling tampons.
From what I read in various articles you can find them but they are hard to find and overpriced.
There seems to be a lot of backward thinking on tampons in the PI. (If you use them you are no longer a virgin. Only girls having sex use tampons - stuff like that.)

I'm a bit confused as to why you say these containers stink. I thought when closed they are air tight. Though maybe some styles have air vents??
I've been to places in the PI where the smell of the open ditch sewers was stronger than any cargo container was likely to be. I know it isn't all like that. I'm also not hating on PI. A number of my relatives are Pinoy. I will probably be traveling to Cebu area sometime next year. I'm kind of looking forward to it. I have not done any international travel (except to Canada) in quite a few years.

PS - This is the capcha Gaia gave me. WTH is that supposed to say? smile

User Image
David2074

Yeah, I noticed I was being biased. Actually the kinda-anger was mostly on the fact that nothing seems to be happening, and that it's probably going to be there for a few years considering legal systems stare According to the article, it's been there since June 2013, and garbage fluid (the icky sticky smelly kind) was seeping out so they opened it in February 2014.

I believe your captcha was supposed to be a censored insult. It has the word "p***k" on it biggrin

Henrika

What company was that? Just curious. The articles only mentioned the Canadian exporter (though I suppose knowing the Philippines, it's a military man / politician being hidden).
David2074

TBH I'm a bit surprised it is cheaper to pay shipping and sacrifice the cost of one of those shipping containers rather than to process the garbage legally in Canada.
I looked it up - it is not cheaper. It costs almost double to ship it to the Philipenes to be disposed of rather than treating it in Canada, which is why its absurd to think the Canadian company was doing this (makes zero business sense) rather than something else shady happening along the distribution line.

I think what is more likely, is the philipino company that recycled the plastics probably also got paid off to take the garbage from wherever it came from, but instead of disposing of it properly they placed it into the containers and blamed the Canadian company instead. It's either than or they used those shipping containers to pick up garbage from somewhere else etc.

Either way, Canadian taxpayers had better not end up funding this fraudulent Philippino company.
pikachu8070
David2074

Yeah, I noticed I was being biased. Actually the kinda-anger was mostly on the fact that nothing seems to be happening, and that it's probably going to be there for a few years considering legal systems stare According to the article, it's been there since June 2013, and garbage fluid (the icky sticky smelly kind) was seeping out so they opened it in February 2014.

I believe your captcha was supposed to be a censored insult. It has the word "p***k" on it biggrin

Henrika

What company was that? Just curious. The articles only mentioned the Canadian exporter (though I suppose knowing the Philippines, it's a military man / politician being hidden).
Phillippino importer Indicted, along with Customs Regulator

Canadian Export Company only sent one shipment of plastics which was checked prior to shipment, and still hasn't recieved payment for it.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Henrika
David2074

TBH I'm a bit surprised it is cheaper to pay shipping and sacrifice the cost of one of those shipping containers rather than to process the garbage legally in Canada.
I looked it up - it is not cheaper. It costs almost double to ship it to the Philipenes to be disposed of rather than treating it in Canada, which is why its absurd to think the Canadian company was doing this (makes zero business sense) rather than something else shady happening along the distribution line.

I think what is more likely, is the philipino company that recycled the plastics probably also got paid off to take the garbage from wherever it came from, but instead of disposing of it properly they placed it into the containers and blamed the Canadian company instead. It's either than or they used those shipping containers to pick up garbage from somewhere else etc.

Either way, Canadian taxpayers had better not end up funding this fraudulent Philippino company.

Except from the article it doesn't sound like the Canadian exporter is denying he shipped the garbage. From the article:
"He also said the owner of exporter Chronic Incorporated, Jim Makris, "has not been successful to date in finding a third country to which the shipment could be sent."

Now granted, that does not explicitly say he shipped garbage on purpose but it strongly implies it.
You would think that if he didn't he would be strongly denying it and part of the story would be about the mystery of how the recyclable stuff got replaced with garbage somewhere in transit.

Also in a related article (linked in the first one) it talks about the PI side suing the importer for misrepresenting the cargo and making 'diversions on paper' and such. In other words, they seem to think it was intentional.

I find myself wondering if the two companies are somehow related to each other due to the similarity of the names.
On the Canadian side you have -
"The garbage was exported to the Philippines by Chronic Incorporated, a company based in Ontario, Canada."

On the PI side you have -
"The BOC filed charges against Adelfa Eduardo, owner of Chronic Plastics, a firm in Valenzuela City, for allegedly violating the Tariff and Customs Code of the Philippines (TCCP) and the Toxic Substance and Hazardous Wastes and Nuclear Wastes Control Act of 1990 (Republic Act 6969)."

So Chronic Inc. and Chronic Plastics.
Weird name for it to be just a coincidence the two companies share a very similar name.
But yeah, still a mystery to me what makes illegal intercontinental shipping of basic household garbage a profitable illegal venture.
Maybe those adult diapers are full of heroin and they found a place to hide the drugs the drug dogs can't sniff out. rofl

As far as the Canadian tax payer dollars -
Well, yes in principle but according to the cleanup costs quoted in the article you are only talking about a total cost of about $29,050 to make the problem go away. The way big governments work they will probably spend more of your tax dollars just talking about it and having meetings and such before they actually act on it.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
pikachu8070
David2074

Henrika

Yes, I thought I saw the word p***k is well.
At first I thought maybe it said, "Gaia is a p***k for giving such PITA capchas" but then I decided that might not be it. smile

In the article in post 1 is a link to a sister article that talks about the PI suing the importer on the PI side.
http://www.rappler.com/business/211-governance/51094-boc-complaint-canada-waste-ph
"...The BOC filed charges against Adelfa Eduardo, owner of Chronic Plastics, a firm in Valenzuela City,..."
David2074
Henrika
David2074

Except from the article it doesn't sound like the Canadian exporter is denying he shipped the garbage. From the article:
"He also said the owner of exporter Chronic Incorporated, Jim Makris, "has not been successful to date in finding a third country to which the shipment could be sent."

Now granted, that does not explicitly say he shipped garbage on purpose but it strongly implies it.
You would think that if he didn't he would be strongly denying it and part of the story would be about the mystery of how the recyclable stuff got replaced with garbage somewhere in transit.

Also in a related article (linked in the first one) it talks about the PI side suing the importer for misrepresenting the cargo and making 'diversions on paper' and such. In other words, they seem to think it was intentional.

I find myself wondering if the two companies are somehow related to each other due to the similarity of the names.
"The garbage was exported to the Philippines by Chronic Incorporated, a company based in Ontario, Canada."

"The BOC filed charges against Adelfa Eduardo, owner of Chronic Plastics, a firm in Valenzuela City, for allegedly violating the Tariff and Customs Code of the Philippines (TCCP) and the Toxic Substance and Hazardous Wastes and Nuclear Wastes Control Act of 1990 (Republic Act 6969)."

Weird name for it to be just a coincidence the two companies share a very similar name.
But yeah, still a mystery to me what makes illegal intercontinental shipping of basic household garbage a profitable illegal venture.
Maybe those adult diapers are full of heroin and they found a place to hide the drugs the drug dogs can't sniff out. rofl

Well, yes in principle but according to the cleanup costs quoted in the article you are only talking about a total cost of about $29,050 to make the problem go away. The way big governments work they will probably spend more of your tax dollars just talking about it and having meetings and such before they actually act on it.
To the bold: All that means is that this company is a startup & hasn't gotten that far. Apparently, he hasn't even paid yet for the first shipment, so if I were him I'd also be hesitant to set up more trading partners after the first one is refusing to pay. (It also says the phillipines receive SIX shipments rather than the one that the Canadian company sent... so that's also super alarming.)

Also, I've thought about it, and since its a comparatively low dollar amount, I'd be ok if our government paid for the garbage processing since the importer & customs regulators are being charged. It would be nice if Pi would ratify to stop all import of hazardous waste as well as part of that exchange.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Henrika
David2074
Henrika
David2074

To the bold: All that means is that this company is a startup & hasn't gotten that far. Apparently, he hasn't even paid yet for the first shipment, so if I were him I'd also be hesitant to set up more trading partners after the first one is refusing to pay. (It also says the phillipines receive SIX shipments rather than the one that the Canadian company sent... so that's also super alarming.)

Also, I've thought about it, and since its a comparatively low dollar amount, I'd be ok if our government paid for the garbage processing since the importer & customs regulators are being charged. It would be nice if Pi would ratify to stop all import of hazardous waste as well as part of that exchange.

I'm not sure I follow your logic on some of that or perhaps you read some additional information you didn't list here.
The article and a sister one I read said a lot of countries have laws about importing garbage. So I'm not sure how the Canadian exporter having trouble finding another country to take the garbage = he has to be a startup.

Also from what I read the PI does have laws about importing hazardous waste. That's why they are upset about his shipment(s) and are charging the importer on the PI side.

Yes there were multiple shipments but from the way I read the articles they were all shipped by the same exporter and shipped to the same importer. That might not be accurate but it is how I took it. Both sides talked about charging those guys and neither side seemed to be talking about trying to find some other exporter / importer.

Magical Bunny

14,350 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
thats gross

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers