Welcome to Gaia! ::

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Bronx 'ghetto' tours stop amid residents' outrage
More here

Quote:
A young man runs under an elevated section of subway tracks in The Bronx borough of New York, Wednesday, May 22, 2013. A company that offered tourist treks to the Bronx "ghetto" has shut down under scathing criticism from neighborhood leaders offended by the tours that took mostly European and Australian tourists past food-pantry lines and "pickpocket" park. But other New York companies continue to show visitors, many of them foreigners who know of the Bronx only from movies, the grittiest part of the city's poorest borough. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

Associated Press/Richard Drew - A young man runs under an elevated section of subway tracks in The Bronx borough of New York, Wednesday, May 22, 2013. A company that offered tourist treks to the Bronx "ghetto" …more

Related Content

The former Samuel B. White mansion, in the 1850's Greekl Revival style, survives in the Longwood Historic District, in The Bronx borough of New York, Wednesday, May 22, 2013. A company that offered tourist treks to the Bronx "ghetto" has shut down under scathing criticism from neighborhood leaders offended by the tours that took mostly European and Australian tourists past food-pantry lines and "pickpocket" park. But other New York companies continue to show visitors, many of them foreigners who know of the Bronx only from movies, the grittiest part of the city's poorest borough. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)View Photo

The former Samuel B. White mansion, …
Folklorist Elena Martinez of City Lore, and her partner Bobby Sanabria, talk about their tours of The Bronx borough of New York, Wednesday, May 22, 2013. A company that offered tourist treks to the Bronx "ghetto" has shut down under scathing criticism from neighborhood leaders offended by the tours that took mostly European and Australian tourists past food-pantry lines and "pickpocket" park. But other New York companies continue to show visitors, many of them foreigners who know of the Bronx only from movies, the grittiest part of the city's poorest borough. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)View Photo

Folklorist Elena Martinez of City …

NEW YORK (AP) — A company that promised sightseer tours to the Bronx that included a New York City "ghetto" has stopped the bus rides under protest from an outraged neighborhood.

Real Bronx Tours, which took mostly European tourists from Manhattan to see life in the South Bronx "from a safe distance," issued a statement this week saying it would immediately cease all tours there.

Three times a week, the $45 ride took visitors past food-pantry lines, a housing project and a park a guide described as a pickpocket hangout.

Tourists were told they'd get a look at the Bronx that reflects one of the darkest chapters of the city's history, the 1970s and '80s, when the tour website said "this borough was notorious for drugs, gangs, crime and murders."

The Bronx lost hundreds of buildings to fires intentionally set by landlords to collect insurance money, hence the phrase, "the Bronx is burning."

But residents say the tours are a misrepresentation of the area where former Secretary of State Colin Powell and U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor lived in as children.

"Those days are over, the Bronx is being rebuilt, it's rising again," said Bronx resident and Grammy-nominated musician Bobby Sanabria.

On Monday, Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. and City Councilwoman Melissa Mark-Viverito sent an open letter to the company owner, Michael Myers, saying they were "sickened by the despicable way" the borough was being portrayed to outsiders.

"We strongly urge you to stop profiting off of a tour that misrepresents the Bronx as a haven for poverty and crime, while mocking everything from our landmarks to the less fortunate members of our community who are availing themselves of food assistance programs."

The tour company did not respond to calls and emails requesting comment. It was not clear whether they would resume any of their tours. And by Thursday, the website of the company was no longer accessible.

Other companies in the city still offer regular guided trips to the Bronx.

Three weeks ago, NYC & Company, the city's tourism bureau, launched a promotion of the South Bronx as "one of our safest, most exciting boroughs," with highlights including Art Deco architecture and the Yankees.

Real Bronx Tours has been booted from the bureau's membership list as a result of the language they've been using, NYC & Company spokeswoman Kimberly Spell said.

Elena Martinez, an anthropologist and Bronx resident, offers visitors walks through the same neighborhood that was on Real Bronx Tours' itinerary.

The human struggles on these still gritty streets have produced urban styles and sounds copied around the world, from hip hop music and outdoor murals to clothing.

"Many young Europeans come here as a pilgrimage," Martinez said. "This was the incubator for hip-hop, salsa, jazz, Afro-Cuban music, R&B."

She points to theaters, lavish dance halls and clubs where salsa came alive, along with some of the biggest names in music. Sanabria, a famed drummer, says he comes from a borough "that has an incredible, majestic music culture."

And although many of the buildings now house stores and offices, or were demolished or burned down, new ones mingle with restored historic ones "and people are helping to bring the neighborhood back," Martinez said.

"We've had enough of the gawkers who come to ghettoize us," says Al Quinones, caretaker of a community park that features a garden with fruit trees and a stone outdoor amphitheater. "Their timing was bad. The Bronx is not burning, not now! Now, it's resurgence."

On the door to his shack on the grounds is a sign that reads: "Don't dump on the Bronx."

Sanabria, Martinez and other Bronx residents are meeting Friday to kick-start a counter-campaign to what they call the Bronx's "negative image."

They've calling their action "Bronx Rising."

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
If this is the new and improved Bronx these folks are defending I'd hate to see the old one.
Just out of curiosity I googled up some of their crime rates.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ny/bronx/crime/

BRONX CRIME INDEX = 20
(100 is safest) Safer than 20% of the citiesin the US.

Bronx Annual Crimes
VIOLENT 15,232 - PROPERTY 33,465 - TOTAL 48,697
annual crimes per 1,000 residents
Violent 10.94 - Property - Total 34.98

Violent Crime Comparison per 1,000 residents
National Median 3.9
New York 3.98
Bronx 10.94

My chances of becoming a victim
in Bronx 1 in 91
in New York 1 in 251

Crimes per Square Mile
National Median 39.6
New York 47
Bronx 1167
David2074
If this is the new and improved Bronx these folks are defending I'd hate to see the old one.
Just out of curiosity I googled up some of their crime rates.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ny/bronx/crime/

BRONX CRIME INDEX = 20
(100 is safest) Safer than 20% of the citiesin the US.

Bronx Annual Crimes
VIOLENT 15,232 - PROPERTY 33,465 - TOTAL 48,697
annual crimes per 1,000 residents
Violent 10.94 - Property - Total 34.98

Violent Crime Comparison per 1,000 residents
National Median 3.9
New York 3.98
Bronx 10.94

My chances of becoming a victim
in Bronx 1 in 91
in New York 1 in 251

Crimes per Square Mile
National Median 39.6
New York 47
Bronx 1167

Standard problem. They don't want to have their failures brought to light, so they would rather complain and whine. The owner of the tour route should toss those statistics at them and tell them if they want them to brag, fix their ********.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

Oh hey, I used to live around there! I fully support these tours. People want to see animals? Let them see animals.

Tipsy Smoker

Wtf I wont comment because Chinatown has tourist too but do the tours have to be ******** offensive

Shy Explorer

7,100 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Hygienic 200
Chahklet
Wtf I wont comment because Chinatown has tourist too but do the tours have to be ******** offensive

My town's pretty safe for the most part but I still don't want tourists around seeing things that aren't meant to be tourist attractions. I can understand Chicago and their Gang Tours (like Al Capone from way back when) and where the St Valentine's Day Massacre happened but the kinds of tours that company runs (or ran) are showing life in poverty and people think that its like that EVERYWHERE.

Tipsy Smoker

Old Ironsides
Chahklet

My town's pretty safe for the most part but I still don't want tourists around seeing things that aren't meant to be tourist attractions. I can understand Chicago and their Gang Tours (like Al Capone from way back when) and where the St Valentine's Day Massacre happened but the kinds of tours that company runs (or ran) are showing life in poverty and people think that its like that EVERYWHERE.

It's pitiful. Do people tour Africa to see the beautiful landscape and culture? Or do they tour Africa to stare pitifully at all the crime and poverty? To point fingers and laugh at the starving people?

Shy Explorer

7,100 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Hygienic 200
Chahklet
Old Ironsides
Chahklet

It's pitiful. Do people tour Africa to see the beautiful landscape and culture? Or do they tour Africa to stare pitifully at all the crime and poverty? To point fingers and laugh at the starving people?

I wouldn't go anywhere NEAR Africa or the Middle East solely based upon their views of women. Not trying to be mean but from what I hear about them in the news it gives off the impression that women would get kidnapped, raped and murdered just for the pleasure of the torturer.

Tipsy Smoker

Old Ironsides
Chahklet
Old Ironsides
Chahklet

I wouldn't go anywhere NEAR Africa or the Middle East solely based upon their views of women. Not trying to be mean but from what I hear about them in the news it gives off the impression that women would get kidnapped, raped and murdered just for the pleasure of the torturer.

Many say the same about the ghetto lol...

Shy Explorer

7,100 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Hygienic 200
Chahklet
Old Ironsides
Chahklet
Old Ironsides
Chahklet

Yep. I try to stay away from there too as much as possible.

Tipsy Smoker

Old Ironsides
Chahklet
Old Ironsides
Chahklet
Old Ironsides
Chahklet

Yep. I try to stay away from there too as much as possible.

I'm not too scared anymore. I lived in one for a few years and realized its just an extremely different culture.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Old Blue Collar Joe
Standard problem. They don't want to have their failures brought to light, so they would rather complain and whine. The owner of the tour route should toss those statistics at them and tell them if they want them to brag, fix their ********]

I haven't bothered to try to get stats but it occurred to me that somewhere in the efforts to make the Bronx a better place they were and probably still are accepting federal or state money. My guess is at those meetings to get the money they don't downplay the aspect of there still being a problem there and a need to make it better.
I was reading the wiki article on the Bronx https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bronx and to be fair it does sound like it is making huge improvements from what it was decades ago. Still, it has it's issues and not having a tour bus drive through town won't change that. In some ways the locals should embrace it. If people are taking tours it implies their way of life is not familiar to the tourists. Possibly seeing areas with 'problems' will make them more sympathetic to their needs. It might make them more open to donating to various groups that are trying to build more housing or support educational opportunities for minorities and such.

Fluffy Loiterer

I can't really say without knowing what the tours are like exactly. Honestly though they shouldn't be complaining considering any publicity is good publicity. Sure it's portraying their bad side, but it's part of their history that they can't hide. We don't try to hide from our past with slavery, we try to teach it and learn from it. And besides, if people are there taking tours, that also means they'll eventually get hungry or want to go shopping. So really it's an economy boost for them.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
blaugh That's pretty humorous. And genious!

"Three times a week, the $45 ride took visitors past food-pantry lines, a housing project and a park a guide described as a pickpocket hangout."

$45 just to see a slum? Those tourist totally got ripped off.

Liberal Fatcat

Love Muffin88
blaugh That's pretty humorous. And genious!

"Three times a week, the $45 ride took visitors past food-pantry lines, a housing project and a park a guide described as a pickpocket hangout."

$45 just to see a slum? Those tourist totally got ripped off.

Exactly! You can go see the projects for free! But probably not from a safe distance...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff