Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200
I'm happy to hear that the boy socuts are going in the right direction with lifting the ban, which I found to be ridiculous anyways.

Eloquent Cutie-Pie

17,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Bleu Jayy
Prince Ikari

I have no desire to lock my future children away but I do want to prevent them from being exposed to bad influences and to me homosexuality is a bad influence like drug use, gangs, violence, and teenage sex. I want destructive, culturally liberal attitudes and behaviors not corrupting my future children. I want them to grow up with some self-respect and moral integrity, not become some drug using bum who contributes nothing to society, or gets pregnant or contracts STDs.

Saying gay people influence your kid to be gay is like saying Pokemon influences children to capture animals in small balls and force them to battle to the death with another person's animals. -.-
How is homosexuality bad again? Last time I checked, love was not a bad thing. To force such views on a child is bad. You shouldn't be teaching them hate and intolerance, you should be teaching him or her to be a good person and love everyone, no matter who or what they are. I find it highly offensive when you imply that all gay people are bad. I'm a 17 year old gay male and am dating a wonderful, kind young man. Moral integrity? I volunteer at my local animal shelter every other week. I get straight A's on my report card. I plan on remaining abstinent until I'm married. I've never gone NEAR any type of drug. I plan on going to medical school to become a nurse and make something of my life, and you're saying that people like me are bad and have no moral integrity?
I'm not saying you should stop believing what you do; you can't force someone's viewpoint to change. I'm just saying that announcing your hate and saying such rude things about people who can't help who they are is wrong and just plain mean.
You God frowns upon you for passing judgement.

On a topic-related note, Boy Scouts is definitely moving in the right direction. c:

you are awesome and your sig is awesome. domokun stargate

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
Prince Ikari
If the Boy Scouts do allow gay members then shame on them for compromising on their principles. I know if I have a son someday I will not allow him to participate if gay members are going to be allowed to participate with him and work under troop leaders who are also gay.
Have you ever met someone who wasn't flamboyantly gay? I think if you did your views might change just a little, I'm heterosexual but you don't see me being attracted to every male in every stage of life, it's the same with being homosexual. I was only saying this to inform you, I completely respect your right to have those views.

Shy Lover

8,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Hygienic 200
I'm so very glad that they may make this decision. I feel gay children should get to enjoy everything straight children do. To the derailed topic, I will love my daughter no matter what she loves heart and any one who would condemn their child for loving differently really doesn't love their child.

Conservative Victory

Booty Tickle
Prince Ikari
If the Boy Scouts do allow gay members then shame on them for compromising on their principles. I know if I have a son someday I will not allow him to participate if gay members are going to be allowed to participate with him and work under troop leaders who are also gay.
Have you ever met someone who wasn't flamboyantly gay? I think if you did your views might change just a little, I'm heterosexual but you don't see me being attracted to every male in every stage of life, it's the same with being homosexual. I was only saying this to inform you, I completely respect your right to have those views.

Well the people I have met are either butch lesbian or flamboyant gay. The stereotypes. Though I doubt I will change my views. Not everyone is going to agree with the same types of people and the same types of values, beliefs, and lifestyles we center our lives around. The only thing we can hope is through our dislikes and disagreements we can live together without killing one another and descending the world into chaos. But thank you for respecting my right to have the beliefs that I do. I respect your right to your beliefs as well. As an old saying use to go, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". The beauty of free speech.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
Prince Ikari
Booty Tickle
Prince Ikari

Well the people I have met are either butch lesbian or flamboyant gay. The stereotypes. Though I doubt I will change my views. Not everyone is going to agree with the same types of people and the same types of values, beliefs, and lifestyles we center our lives around. The only thing we can hope is through our dislikes and disagreements we can live together without killing one another and descending the world into chaos. But thank you for respecting my right to have the beliefs that I do. I respect your right to your beliefs as well. As an old saying use to go, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". The beauty of free speech.
Honestly I think it's stupid when people jump all over you for what you say, sometimes it is a little offensive but in Merica we have freedom of speech, also how is yelling and being rude going to change your opinion?

Fashionable Hunter

Alice is Madness
I'm happy to hear that the boy socuts are going in the right direction with lifting the ban, which I found to be ridiculous anyways.

You might find it silly now, but considering Boy Scouts was started as Christian-based, all-male group in 1910 that the Girl Scouts was started in reaction to (and the Boy Scouts quite opposed the first Brownies in 1912), it's really not that ridiculous of a notion.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
kakteed
Alice is Madness

You might find it silly now, but considering Boy Scouts was started as Christian-based, all-male group in 1910 that the Girl Scouts was started in reaction to (and the Boy Scouts quite opposed the first Brownies in 1912), it's really not that ridiculous of a notion.

the opposition to the Girl Scouts may have had something to do with the fact that there was a separate organisation for girls already in the scouting system

apparently, it just didn't catch on too well in the US.

Fashionable Hunter

Keltoi Samurai
kakteed
Alice is Madness

the opposition to the Girl Scouts may have had something to do with the fact that there was a separate organisation for girls already in the scouting system

I don't see where it didn't catch on. The theory I deduced from reading the article is that Ms. Low might have just changed the name for the US audience to make it parallel to the Boy Scouts which were already established in the US by that time.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
kakteed
Keltoi Samurai
kakteed
Alice is Madness

I don't see where it didn't catch on. The theory I deduced from reading the article is that Ms. Low might have just changed the name for the US audience to make it parallel to the Boy Scouts which were already established in the US by that time.

from what I hear from former Girl Scouts, she gutted it in the process.

I keep hearing about Girl Scouts being about cookies, baking, sewing, and s**t, whereas boys camp, canoe, and do all the fun stuff ( also, learning to bake, cook, and sew, if you'll accept my own personal experiences. ), and that seems to be the big argument for why Boy Scouts is sexist, despite the existence of the Girl Scouts.

read the info on the Girl Guides, and wilderness survival, camping and all the fun stuff was right in there, along with the domestic stuff ( which, as I mentioned, was part of the Boy Scouts, too )

Fashionable Hunter

Keltoi Samurai
kakteed
Keltoi Samurai
kakteed
Alice is Madness

I keep hearing about Girl Scouts being about cookies, baking, sewing, and s**t, whereas boys camp, canoe, and do all the fun stuff ( also, learning to bake, cook, and sew, if you'll accept my own personal experiences. ), and that seems to be the big argument for why Boy Scouts is sexist, despite the existence of the Girl Scouts.

read the info on the Girl Guides, and wilderness survival, camping and all the fun stuff was right in there, along with the domestic stuff ( which, as I mentioned, was part of the Boy Scouts, too )

Mrr, I don't really care that much dude, and I have to look up other s**t for my essays xd

Conservative Victory

Booty Tickle
Prince Ikari
Booty Tickle
Prince Ikari

Honestly I think it's stupid when people jump all over you for what you say, sometimes it is a little offensive but in Merica we have freedom of speech, also how is yelling and being rude going to change your opinion?

I agree wholeheartedly. I am aware that the things I say are somewhat offensive at times, or come off as such to many. I am an enigma within the younger generation. Much of the younger generation is secular and culturally liberal, where as I am traditional and conservative on most cultural issues. So it shocks young people to find people who are not supportive of gay rights, still cling to old traditional values passed down through religion and from a society when chivalry was the code of honor. My world view clashes with those individuals and offends a great number of them who consider any statement anti-gay as hate speech or bigotry, though I have never once said gays should die and have in the past condemned the Westboro extremists who desecrate Christianity and all things American.

And indeed we do. Freedom of speech is a right that in my view only Americans truly have. We are all allowed to have a voice and say what we wish so long as we do not wish harm to others. As in a direct threat that is. And yelling and being rude solves nothing, but further continues our differences and increase tension and hate between one another. It is why America can barely function right now. We have let our differences make us hate one another to the detriment of our nation and the people who live here. The best way to change opinions and sway support is through honesty, patience, and hard work. Presenting your argument and listening to that of the other side, and finding mutual ground in which to build consensus around.
Keltoi Samurai
kakteed
Keltoi Samurai
kakteed
Alice is Madness

Hah, girl scouts was not very fun and most people are only in it for the cookies XD

On topic: I really hope they start allowing gays, but I also see that it makes sense since they are a private organization that they shouldn't be forced to by the government, which could also cause way more problens in the future (with people getting really angry about intervention and so on).

Playful Guildswoman

David2074
Good for the BSA for finally acknowledging (if under duress) that 'gay' is not synonymous with '*****'.

"The Boy Scouts has also faced criticism for keeping private files covering decades of child sex abuse incidents within the organization. The Scouts released thousands of pages of files in October covering incidents from 1965 to 1985."

I think it would be interesting to see a cross reference of how many of these sexual assaults were perpetrated by gays / lesbians. I suspect it would overwhelmingly show that most of the offenders were straight. Or to be more precise, that their sexual orientation was neither 'normal straight' or gay but was ***** or *********]

This in particular:
David2074
Good for the BSA for finally acknowledging (if under duress) that 'gay' is not synonymous with '*****]

Am sad that too many (still a minority) of posters didn't notice the proposed change was to local choice. The posters who want the old rules are free to become scout leaders and form a troop under the old rules, even if the proposed change goes thru.

Playful Guildswoman

kakteed
Prince Ikari
kakteed
Prince Ikari

Chillax, it's not like the number of gays in Boy Scouts is going to increase too much. Just, you know, the number of gays that will tell you and your son about their torrid nights of passionate butt-sex emotion_awesome

What an utterly disgusting, repulsive, horrific, atrocious, nauseating thought. emotion_donotwant
Gays will keep their nasty selves as far away as possible from both me and my future children speaking such inappropriate blasphemy.

xd

Not touching the language on either side, but Ikari - I notice you have a male name and a female avi. Somehow, that doesn't quite tally with your expressed opinions; might your comments be tongue-in-cheek? Granted, cross-dressing/naming doesn't indicate sexual orientation, but still...it seems to not quite match up with ideas about rigid gender roles.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff