Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
Boy Scouts of America may end ban on gays

DALLAS (Reuters) - Boy Scouts of America is considering ending a longstanding national ban on gay youth and adult members and leaving policies on sexual orientation to its local organizations, a spokesman said on Monday.

Lifting the ban would mark a dramatic reversal for the 103-year-old organization, which only last summer reaffirmed its policy amid heavy criticism from gay rights groups and some parents of scouts.

The organization's national executive board is expected to discuss lifting the ban on gay members at its regularly scheduled board meeting next week in Texas.

"The policy change under discussion would allow the religious, civic or educational organizations that oversee and deliver Scouting to determine how to address this issue," spokesman Deron Smith said in an email to Reuters.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the United Methodist Church and the Catholic Church have the largest youth membership in the Boy Scouts among faith-based organizations.

The organization, which had more than 2.6 million youth members and more than 1 million adult members at the end of 2012, "would not, under any circumstances, dictate a position to units, members, or parents," Smith said.

The Boy Scouts has also faced criticism for keeping private files covering decades of child sex abuse incidents within the organization. The Scouts released thousands of pages of files in October covering incidents from 1965 to 1985.

The Boy Scouts won a 5-4 U.S. Supreme Court ruling allowing the organization to ban gays in 2000, but has come under increasing public pressure in recent years from activists. They include Zach Wahls, an Eagle Scout with two lesbian mothers, and Jennifer Tyrrell, a lesbian mother from Ohio who was ousted as a Scout den leader and treasurer.

"This is absolutely a step in the right direction," said Wahls, who is founder of Scouts for Equality, a group that includes 3,151 other Eagle scouts.

Wahls said he would turn to persuading local councils to enact nondiscrimination policies if the change is approved.

Tyrrell said she looked forward to a day when she and her family might participate in scouting again.

"An end to this ban will restore dignity to countless families across the country, my own included, who simply wanted to take part in all Scouting has to offer," Tyrrell said in a statement.

GLAAD, an anti-discrimination advocacy group, began to press for a reversal of the Boy Scouts policy after Tyrrell was removed from her son's den and more than 1 million people have signed petitions on Change.org seeking an end to the policy.

More than 462,000 people signed a petition on Change.org calling for the Boy Scouts to grant an Eagle Scout application for Ryan Andresen, a California resident who is openly gay.

Andresen's scoutmaster refused to sign the application because of his sexual orientation. A review board for the California chapter recommended he receive the rank, but its recommendation was never forwarded to national headquarters.

The organization has faced pressure from board members - Ernst & Young chairman and chief executive Jim Turley and AT&T chief executive Randall Stephenson have spoken out against the ban - and some corporations withdrew support over the policy.

United Parcel Service was among corporations that have said they would pull funding from the organization over its policy.

The Family Research Council, which said in December it would pull its business with UPS because the package delivery company had decided to cease funding of the Boy Scouts, said on Monday the Scouts should resist the pressure to change its policy.

"If the board capitulates to the bullying of homosexual activists, the Boy Scouts' legacy of producing great leaders will become yet another casualty of moral compromise," Family Research Council President Tony Perkins said in a statement.

Patrick Boyle, whose 1994 book "Scout's Honor" was among the first to examine sexual abuse in the Boy Scouts of America, said on Monday the "striking reversal in policy" was likely the result of growing pressure from corporations.

"This is a safe way out of this mess for the national organization, which takes the fight back to the local level, and says to a local leader, 'you make the choice that's right for you'," Boyle said. "It's essentially the Boy Scouts' version of states' rights."

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
good for them.

Fashionable Hunter

Quote:
moral compromise

...You mean...social progress?

Adored Sweetheart

That is to bad.

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
As an Eagle Scout I say let the Scouts do what they want. It is a Christian founded organization and private club. Am I against gay rights? No. Do I think they should let it be up to local troops to decide who they let in? Yes.

My scout leader's son turned out to be gay after he got his Eagle. Everyone in the troop looked up to him before he "came out." He was a good leader. Who cares about his affiliation.

On the one hand I don't want the organization to change under pressure because of its longstanding tradition...and I'm somewhat appalled that there is now a VIDEOGAME MERIT BADGE, I s**t YOU NOT. Wait, you know what? Let EVERYBODY in. If they put in videogames AFTER I got my Eagle, screw em. xp

Timid Vampire

10,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Streaker 200
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User ImageWell, it's about time they caught up with the ages.

Conservative Victory

If the Boy Scouts do allow gay members then shame on them for compromising on their principles. I know if I have a son someday I will not allow him to participate if gay members are going to be allowed to participate with him and work under troop leaders who are also gay.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Good for the BSA for finally acknowledging (if under duress) that 'gay' is not synonymous with '*****'.

"The Boy Scouts has also faced criticism for keeping private files covering decades of child sex abuse incidents within the organization. The Scouts released thousands of pages of files in October covering incidents from 1965 to 1985."

I think it would be interesting to see a cross reference of how many of these sexual assaults were perpetrated by gays / lesbians. I suspect it would overwhelmingly show that most of the offenders were straight. Or to be more precise, that their sexual orientation was neither 'normal straight' or gay but was ***** or *********.

Fashionable Hunter

Prince Ikari
If the Boy Scouts do allow gay members then shame on them for compromising on their principles. I know if I have a son someday I will not allow him to participate if gay members are going to be allowed to participate with him and work under troop leaders who are also gay.

Chillax, it's not like the number of gays in Boy Scouts is going to increase too much. Just, you know, the number of gays that will tell you and your son about their torrid nights of passionate butt-sex emotion_awesome

Conservative Victory

kakteed
Prince Ikari

Chillax, it's not like the number of gays in Boy Scouts is going to increase too much. Just, you know, the number of gays that will tell you and your son about their torrid nights of passionate butt-sex emotion_awesome

What an utterly disgusting, repulsive, horrific, atrocious, nauseating thought. emotion_donotwant
Gays will keep their nasty selves as far away as possible from both me and my future children speaking such inappropriate blasphemy.

Fashionable Hunter

Prince Ikari
kakteed
Prince Ikari

What an utterly disgusting, repulsive, horrific, atrocious, nauseating thought. emotion_donotwant
Gays will keep their nasty selves as far away as possible from both me and my future children speaking such inappropriate blasphemy.

xd

Satisfied Gorilla - x's Partner In Crime

Shadowy Explorer

17,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Marathon 300
That's good.

Witty Phantom

Prince Ikari
kakteed
Prince Ikari

User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces