Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100

Spenser Collins, 9, loves to read. The idea of sharing his love of books with his neighbors thrills him. So with the help of his parents, he set up a Little Free Library in their yard in Leawood, Kansas.

But the town of Leawood decided the birdhouse-sized library was an illegal structure and the family was ordered to remove it.

The family moved the Little Free Library into their garage. But they are looking to take the issue with City Hall, reported ABC affiliate KMBC.

The little library, which was made by the boy’s grandfather, was capable of holding a few books. Like the Little Free Libraries across the country, it had a “take a book, leave a book” note taped on its door. The bookshelf sat next to a bench on the family's front yard, which was intended to provide a spot for readers to enjoy their books.

"When we got home from vacation, there was a letter from the city of Leawood saying that it was in code violation and it needed to be down by the 19th or we would receive a citation," Spencer's mother, Sarah Collins told KMBC.

The City of Leawood bans buildings that aren't attached to homes. Since the library was a free standing structure in the family's front yard, it was considered illegal. The city has received two complaints regarding the library, according to Richard Coleman, Leawood's director of community development.

"First, there was just a library. Then, a bench was place next to it. I think people were concerned there would be more and more stuff at their front yard," Coleman told ABC News.

“I find it rather humorous that the city [of Leawood] thinks it is illegal," said Todd Bol, who helped create the Little Free Library movement in 2009. "It is a sweet thing that brings the community together."

Bol said the Little Free Library has worked well in some of the toughest communities across the country. There are more than 16,000 Little Free Libraries in 72 countries, according to Bol.

Collins family has set up a Facebook page to inform supporters of their progress. The page has received over 17,000 "likes."

"Our city law has been around for over a decade. This is the first time that we have had a problem with this," Coleman said. "We think that it is a great program. It's just that the current ordinance doesn't allow it."

Coleman said city council will look to see if they can amend the current ordinance.

The Collins family could not be reached for comment by ABC News.

Do they lack a library?

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
These are the same types of politicians who bully kids with lemonade stands, tree houses in their backyards. Childhood in America has been ruined by these bossy bullies with badges.

Peaceful Bookworm

16,115 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
  • Bookworm 100
emotion_facepalm Got no words for it.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
While I approve of the kid's intent, if the law had indeed been on the books for over a decade, it's on the family for not looking into it before setting up the little library.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
...It's not even a ******** building.
Silvia Crow
While I approve of the kid's intent, if the law had indeed been on the books for over a decade, it's on the family for not looking into it before setting up the little library.

Okay. Let me get this straight, a book self is considered a building?
cat_sweatdrop

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Miss Dorm Leader
Silvia Crow

cat_sweatdrop
Logic of small town communities. So do chairs and couches.

Charged Enthusiast

28,825 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Timely Contributor 100
  • Newbie Helper 100
Leave the kid alone!! This is a really good program which promotes a sense of community. I am just wondering which of his self centered HOA neighbors is the one who reported it. Its not that much larger then a mail box....so I am wondering how many people in town have their mailbox set up along the road....Mailboxes are a free standing structure! VIOLATION! ....Goodness, as I said before leave the kid alone.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Miss Dorm Leader
Silvia Crow

cat_sweatdrop

Hey, not saying it's a GOOD law, but if it was on the books first....

Aged Lunatic

Remember kids! It's only Big Federal Government that makes unreasonable and restrictive laws on private enterprise! Small towns and states are always friendly towards them and know what's best for you!

-paid for by your local anarcho capitalists

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

Seems you need expensive permits to do anything now in some of these place.o.o;

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
In the neighborhood next to mine, there's a small little library just like the boy's. Everyone goes there every once in a while to get a book. It's always filled up. I think it's a cute idea that he did this, but with the city law, it makes it impossible for the kid to enjoy sharing his love for reading. Poor kid. sad

Beloved Mage

16,915 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Object of Affection 150
why cant they move the book house further back ? if they allow neighbors to come into their yard to get a book ?

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Rogue Destiny
In the neighborhood next to mine, there's a small little library just like the boy's. Everyone goes there every once in a while to get a book. It's always filled up. I think it's a cute idea that he did this, but with the city law, it makes it impossible for the kid to enjoy sharing his love for reading. Poor kid. sad

I see a bunch of these in the neighborhood near where I live. Granted this is a very nice and trendy neighborhood and some have clearly spent a bit of change making them but I think anything that encourages people to read is a good thing.

Magical Cutesmasher

16,075 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Pet Lover 100
xdivision_whitey
Miss Dorm Leader
Silvia Crow

cat_sweatdrop
Logic of small town communities. So do chairs and couches.

I would call that Logic of Loosely-Literate Legislators.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff