Welcome to Gaia! ::

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
JamesWN
Dunno what make of revolver it was, but that could have been bad if the hammer had gotten cocked inside of the kid's backpack...

Well i ignored that powderkeg because obviously everything turned out okay safety-wise here, which is a nice change of pace from other times guns end up in schools. Also fortunate the 5yo didnt play with it and manage to shoot himself or something else though, so that's nice.

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
FULLY AWAKENED BEING
sounds like a sick gun, revolvers are sweet. 3nodding anyway crazy he took it to school.
That's really what you came here to say?

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
xXFurygeistXx
The Strify
Valiant Corvus
Schools MUST uphold their no weapon policy, no if and or buts. I don't care if it's a genuinely good kid, he had a deadly firearm in the one place that he should NEVER have one.

It was poor judgment on his part. Given the early age of his sibling, it would not have been difficult to find a place where the gun couldn't be reached.

It is a shame it was taken to school, that's definitely not my first choice of place to bring a revolver to AVOID trouble XD

But this is the reasoning power of a 5 year old...so...perhaps slack is in order?

He didn't remember he had the gun (which isn't surprising, the kid IS 5) until he was at school (likely upon opening his bookbag and finding the gun). He likely was scared at that point and didn't think to tell the teacher immediately upon finding out he had forgotten to take the gun out of his backpack. Yes, his intentions were good at the start, but he's 5. Not like he was bringing it to school on purpose. He just forgot he had it in his backpack. I suppose the one day suspension makes sense, but they need to explain WHY so he learns guns are never to be brought to school. But he should be commended on his reasons for hiding the gun, and the parents should face a fine for improperly storing said gun, especially with a 5 and 2 year old in the house.

Yeah having a loaded gun on top of your bed for seemingly no reason doesn't seem like the awesomist place for storage to me...

Dangerous Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Chahklet
The Strify
A mali
The Strify
Chahklet
Maybe he should have told a teacher himself.

Well I can see that getting out of hand quickly when idiotic teachers perceive it as a threat.
I think you are correct. I remember an article before that a young boy accidentally brought a toy gun to school and told his teacher about it. What happened after was a massive overreaction.

Exactly my point.
Schools have the right to be concerned about things, but sometimes they just freak out.
Well she didn't freak when the other kid told her.

thats aliquippa for you. there was actually a bank robber in that area that was let loose back into the public after putting a gun directly to a bankers face just caused he snitched on someone else.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
The Strify
A mali
I would have buried the gun somewhere, but at 5 years old, I don't know if I would even have acted similarly. I guess I can't fault his intentions if that was truly what he had felt.

100 year old gun though. That's cool.

Yeah that's another thing that really bothers the anti-gun crowd, there are QUITE a lot of old guns out there that are not accurately registered. You have no idea where they are at.

Dang it. Lost my internet connection and lost everything I just typed.
Okay - short version...

Gun registration has little to do with age of the gun.
In many (maybe most?) states there is no requirement to register your gun.
More info HERE

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
David2074
The Strify
A mali
I would have buried the gun somewhere, but at 5 years old, I don't know if I would even have acted similarly. I guess I can't fault his intentions if that was truly what he had felt.

Yeah that's another thing that really bothers the anti-gun crowd, there are QUITE a lot of old guns out there that are not accurately registered. You have no idea where they are at.

Okay - short version...

More info HERE

Has happened to me before, and the laws on registration confuse me, but i know older guns are less likely to be registered than new ones.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
The Strify
David2074
The Strify
A mali

Okay - short version...

More info HERE

Has happened to me before, and the laws on registration confuse me, but i know older guns are less likely to be registered than new ones.

If you mean in the sense the gun may have come into ownership before that state had registration laws (assuming it has any now) then yes. But for the states that do require registration the law does not exempt a gun being sold from being registered simply because it is old. The exception being some museum pieces considered non-working. But if you look at the link I gave you the registration laws don't specify age.

I really think old guns are of limited concern because frankly there are a lot fewer of them out there and a lot of the older designs are either not safe or not a desirable weapon. Two of my guns are close to 100 years old. One is a .22 rifle. The other is a .38 pistol from cavalry days. The .38 could be used to shoot someone but it's a big heavy piece of iron for a .38 and some folks advise against shooting it anyway. (Though I can vouch that it works). On the other hand, two pistols I sold for cash at a gun show were also .38s but were (at the time) fairly common farm guns and really light considering they were not made out of a special alloy. .38 ammunition for modern guns has more kick to it than back when. (or so I'm told). Basically, shooting those guns is asking for one to blow up in your face.

Anyway, while it might be true (or not - not sure) that a greater percentage of really old guns are not registered I think on the whole that is not a concern. Given current gun registration laws I'm pretty sure there are many, many more newer guns that are not registered than old ones.

And gun registration does not make a gun any safer or any more dangerous. It certainly made no difference in this news story.

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
David2074
The Strify
David2074
The Strify
A mali

Okay - short version...

More info HERE

If you mean in the sense the gun may have come into ownership before that state had registration laws (assuming it has any now) then yes. But for the states that do require registration the law does not exempt a gun being sold from being registered simply because it is old. The exception being some museum pieces considered non-working. But if you look at the link I gave you the registration laws don't specify age.

I really think old guns are of limited concern because frankly there are a lot fewer of them out there and a lot of the older designs are either not safe or not a desirable weapon. Two of my guns are close to 100 years old. One is a .22 rifle. The other is a .38 pistol from cavalry days. The .38 could be used to shoot someone but it's a big heavy piece of iron for a .38 and some folks advise against shooting it anyway. (Though I can vouch that it works). On the other hand, two pistols I sold for cash at a gun show were also .38s but were (at the time) fairly common farm guns and really light considering they were not made out of a special alloy. .38 ammunition for modern guns has more kick to it than back when. (or so I'm told). Basically, shooting those guns is asking for one to blow up in your face.

Anyway, while it might be true (or not - not sure) that a greater percentage of really old guns are not registered I think on the whole that is not a concern. Given current gun registration laws I'm pretty sure there are many, many more newer guns that are not registered than old ones.

And gun registration does not make a gun any safer or any more dangerous. It certainly made no difference in this news story.

I agree entirely, it did not change the story at all and it does not change the dangers or safeness of a gun. And fewer guns were produced than now, but many of them are just mysteriously floating around unregistered, not that modern guns arent.

Quotable Prophet

Well it's nice that he was a good kid and had good intentions, but by taking that weapon (that I highly doubt he knew how to use) to school, he could have caused some serious damage, whether he "forgot" it was there or not.

And I don't buy the "forgot it was there" excuse. Not saying the kid intended to do anything bad with it. It was a gun and he didn't want it at home so where exactly did he intend for it to go? Plus why was it a friend who alerted the school? He just didn't think this through and I feel the school was in the right to discipline him as they did, though I'm glad it wasn't extensive. A day's suspension is pretty lenient and actually expected given what happened and the time they'd need to work everything out.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
The Strify
David2074
The Strify
David2074
The Strify
A mali

Okay - short version...

More info HERE

I agree entirely, it did not change the story at all and it does not change the dangers or safeness of a gun. And fewer guns were produced than now, but many of them are just mysteriously floating around unregistered, not that modern guns arent.

None of my guns are registered. At least not to me. One of them may be tied to me because I sent it to the manufacturer for repair.
On TV shows the gun registration often helps solve the crime. In real life I'm guessing not very often. If a shooting is an accident the parties usually don't hide from the police. If a shooting is intentional like murder the shooter is unlikely to leave the gun at the scene. And in situations where a criminal does use a drop gun they are unlikely to use a gun that is registered to them.
So basically all registration does is help solve secondary crimes such as finding the owner of a stolen gun or possibly helping to ascertain how the criminal came to be in possession of the gun.

So let them "mysteriously float around". It really doesn't matter.
I don't personally care to have my government know where every weapon is. I don't sit at home wearing tin foil hats but historically there have been governments that abused their power.

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
David2074
The Strify
David2074
The Strify
David2074

Okay - short version...

More info HERE

None of my guns are registered. At least not to me. One of them may be tied to me because I sent it to the manufacturer for repair.
On TV shows the gun registration often helps solve the crime. In real life I'm guessing not very often. If a shooting is an accident the parties usually don't hide from the police. If a shooting is intentional like murder the shooter is unlikely to leave the gun at the scene. And in situations where a criminal does use a drop gun they are unlikely to use a gun that is registered to them.
So basically all registration does is help solve secondary crimes such as finding the owner of a stolen gun or possibly helping to ascertain how the criminal came to be in possession of the gun.

So let them "mysteriously float around". It really doesn't matter.
I don't personally care to have my government know where every weapon is. I don't sit at home wearing tin foil hats but historically there have been governments that abused their power.

Oh i get you.

The government definitely governs.
And i never said them floating about was a bad thing, i've been around quite a few guns that are inaccurately registered, or not registered at all, one of them dosnt even exist according to its serial numbers.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Odd, but it's sweet he wanted to protect his brother

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
This is definitely one of those situations where technically no one is a bad guy. Everyone has some good intentions behind their actions and they shouldn't be judged because of that. All of this is so that he could protect his brother. He's breaking the law to protect his brother. If anything, that little boy should know that this boy will be the best guardian ever.

Amateur Detective

35,390 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bookworm 100
Well, that's actually pretty damn solid reasoning for a five year old. To an adult, we can see how much of a bad idea that is, but to a small child it seems perfectly logical. Baby brother cannot get the gun if it's in big bros bag, no? Nice and safe in the backpack it goes.

In a way, it's actually really sweet. He's probably been seeing a few things on the news about young children hurting/killing people or themselves accidentally by playing with guns and was afraid it could happen to his brother. Again, from an adult perspective we would worry like crazy for him as he is only five and goodness knows what could happen when he is wandering around with a gun in his backpack but to a child it likely makes perfect sense.

At least it looks like no one completely freaked out about it and the worst thing that will happen is the kids will just have to listen to their relative harp on this story for the rest of their lives. It's nice to see a story not end in tragedy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff